• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince William gets helicopter as birthday gift from the Queen

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
To think that a story came out earlier this year that said that H.M. the Queen was down to her last million pounds...

CBC

Prince William gets $11M helicopter from Queen on his birthday
CBC

Prince William received an $11-million helicopter from his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, for his 32nd birthday today.
William, heir to the throne behind his father Prince Charles, received a 2008 Agusta A109S Grand helicopter from the British monarch. Local media identified the helicopter model.

The Agusta A109S Grand:
Can hold one pilot and seven passengers.
Is equipped with air conditioning and a rear cabinet with a bar.
Weighs nearly 1,600 kilograms when empty.

The new helicopter will help William and his wife, Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, zip between home and official engagements, and be used to ferry other members of the Royal Family around, the Daily Mirror reports.

(...EDITED)

From other reports I have read, the CBC report is big on splash but short on factual detail. My understanding is the Queen has leased (I believe for one year) the helicopter for use by the whole family to determine if it is more economical than a pay as you go contract. The bonus just happens to be that Prince William can keep his hours current by flying it occasionally.

Back