• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince Harry to be part of Taliban OPFOR in upcoming exercise

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Is this really an authentic exercise? Wasn't the last time that the Taliban had any armour was before the Allied invasion in late 2001?

??? I really doubt that the Taliban can get their hands on any derelict T-55s that they can repair again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/2961365/Prince-Harry-plays-part-of-Taliban-in-war-exercise.html

Prince Harry plays part of Taliban in war exercise
The prince, who served in Afghanistan earlier this year, will command 12 men in light tanks to simulate a small enemy attack force, in an exercise dubbed Operation Medman that is designed to show troops heading to Afghanistan and Iraq how it feels to be under attack.
The Prince, who celebrates his 24th birthday today, will lead his squadron against a 1,000-strong regimental force at Suffield, near Medicine Hat in Canada.

A source from the Household Cavalry told The Sun: "The men being deployed to war zones have to be brought up to speed on fighting a dangerous enemy.

"Harry's A Squadron will be setting up ambushes and carrying out hit-and-run attacks at any time of day and night."

The prince was pulled out of Afghanistan after the news leaked onto the internet in February, after ten weeks directing British and US jets and helicopters to destroy enemy positions.

He flew out on December 14, two months into the current winter tour, and spent several weeks working in Garmsir in the far south of Helmand Province, operating just 500m from front line Taliban positions.

He has apparently asked to be sent back there when his regiment is redeployed next September.

Knowing the press and their respective AFV recognition skills, a light tank to them, could be a pickup with a .50 in the back. :D

The headline is wrong.  MedMan is a series of exercises aimed at "a war", not "the war" in Afghanistan.  As such, it is unlikely that the Prince is playing the part of any specific enemy like the Taliban and it is possible (indeed probable) that OPFOR is mounted in armour (Sabre/Scimitar).  The UK has a different training sequence than we do.

Apologies, my knowledge of armoured terminology is a bit spotty, but as I understand this has Harry in charge of a squadron (company equivalent?) of three x four vehicle recce troops, plus support and HQ?

I realize he's a royal, but 24 seems young for a company command... Is this a mistake in the article, with him actually being in command of a troop?

12 soldiers would be a troop. 3 pers\ (in these particular) vehicles = 4 callsigns. Troopy, A, B, C.

Who says he and his troopies will be mounted, there is a such thing as dismounted ops. Well there used to be anyways...

Ex-Dragoon said:
Who says he and his troopies will be mounted, there is a such thing as dismounted ops. Well there used to be anyways...

From the article above:
"The prince, who served in Afghanistan earlier this year, will command 12 men in light tanks to simulate a small enemy attack force,"

However, I'm sure there will be dismounted ops also ;)

Back