• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince Harry Deploys to Afghanistan

FascistLibertarian said:
One its leaked its leaked

Moderator Warning

So??

Once OPSEC or PERSEC is breached -- it's breached too.

That still doesn't excuse you from following the CF regulations regarding OPSEC and PERSEC on that same info, and you'd still be subject to disciplinary action IAW CF Regulations -- even IF it had been published via some outside source.

And, as per this site's rules and conduct guidelines ... we respect OPSEC and PERSEC info around here.

Seems pretty simple to me.

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

All Im saying is, due to the nature of how the media and communications and the internet work once one website reports his being there (which I dont agree with them doing at all) it is inevitable that other websites, blogs, and news media will start to report it as well.

Its the nature of the flow on information, these national bans dont work.
Liberal stuff about the sponsership scandle gets posted in an American Blog.
The OJ If I did it gets leaked on PDF form online
Wikileaks publishes classified US military documents from Europe that someone scanned and sent them.
Detailed about which minor male royal is being blackmailed for possible coke and gay sex get leaked onthe web depite a national ban in the UK.

Once information is out on the www how do you expect to rein it in? Its a pandora's box.
I was agreeing with yall that people shouldnt have loose mouths here (or anywhere).

UK's Prince Harry sees combat in Afghanistan from CNN

Shortly after the news of the prince's deployment broke, several Islamist Web sites posted messages alerting their "brethren" in Afghanistan to be on the lookout for the royal soldier.
"O brothers of monotheism, if you find anyone with unusual security in his battalion, know that this could be the Prince Harry. We ask God that he gets caught on your hands," one such posting read.

Don't they know that the Anglican Church is also a monotheism faith ?

Well, if they're in Britain, I wonder if they could be tried for treason, as they're suggesting the kidnapping of the third-in-line of the throne  ?

Yrys said:

I imagine something is lost in translation to english, and the literal translation implies something more like "brothers of Islam"

Yrys said:
UK's Prince Harry sees combat in Afghanistan from CNN

Well, if they're in Britain, I wonder if they could be tried for treason, as they're suggesting the kidnapping of the third-in-line of the throne  ?

No worries, he will smite all of our enemies!

All behold the Riothamus!  Long may he reign!

dileas

tess

How U.K. media were convinced to keep Prince Harry's secret for 10 weeks.

...The majority of the country's high-level media executives knew about the tour of duty since before it happened but made a deal to keep it quiet, said royalty expert
and author Ingrid Seward. "We had some rather 'James Bond-esque' meetings at the Ministry of Defence," Seward, who is the editor of Majesty Magazine, told CTV Newsnet
on Thursday. "It was mainly editors of magazines and newspapers... Maybe 30 or 40 representatives of news organizations."

The story was leaked by an Australian magazine a month ago, but the embargo on the U.K. media was only lifted Thursday morning when the whereabouts of the 23-year-old
were reported by the Drudge Report website in the United States.

U.K media given access to footage

According to U.K. newspaper The Guardian, all major British news broadcasters, publishers and agencies signed on for the deal, which stated they would keep the secret until
the April end date of Harry's six-month tour. In turn, they were given access to a series of pooled interviews, pictures and footage of the prince in the field. There was also a
rotation of embedded positions that allowed cameras to get unique footage of the prince doing his job.

At the end of his tour, Harry -- who was known among international forces only by his call sign, Widow Six Seven -- was to return to the U.K. on a Friday so that daily and
weekend newspapers would have equal ability to report on his return, The Guardian reported.

In the event the embargo was broken, the British media were urged to wait until it was confirmed the prince had been taken to safety before publishing anything.

tomahawk6 said:
Harry has been pulled from Afghanistan.

Well, we know who we can thank for this Soldier no longer enjoying the ability to do his job. How ni-ice of them.

ArmyVern said:
Well, we know who we can thank for this Soldier no longer enjoying the ability to do his job. How ni-ice of them.

Yep,evidently an Australian source tipped Drudge.

benny88 said:
    I imagine something is lost in translation to English, and the literal translation implies something more like "brothers of Islam"

I hadn't thought of that... or maybe they think all  Christians believe in the Trinity but I presume not.

Suggestion for people that didn't like the leak : don't go on the Drudge website...

News black-out

At its simplest, journalism is about telling people things they don't know. So when the Ministry of Defence approached the BBC - along with other parts of the UK media -
to ask us not to tell our audiences about a possible deployment of Prince Harry to Afghanistan, it was something we thought long and hard about.

A news black-out is unusual, but not unique. An agreement exists between the police and the media over the reporting of kidnaps - the police have the right to
request that media organisations don't report an abduction while negotiations are under way, in case it makes the release of the hostage more difficult; in return, they accept
the responsibility to update the media regularly and reveal the full story, on camera, once the situation has been resolved. When lives are at risk, it's not always helpful to have
things played out in the glare of publicity.

Last summer - on the day my colleague Alan Johnston was released in Gaza - the Chief of the General Staff, Sir Richard Dannatt, met editors to make the case for a voluntary
agreement. He was very candid; Harry wanted a career in the Army and he needed to be able to be deployed to do what he'd been trained to do, even if it was just for a day.

After five months of discussions, using the kidnap agreement as our model, the MoD and the UK media reached an understanding; we wouldn't speculate or report on the
prince's deployments to minimise the danger to him and to others. In return, we'd get access to him before, during and after his time in Afghanistan. It was a voluntary
agreement - any of the organisations could have decided to leave at any time. We - and the other UK broadcasters and newspapers - were clear that we would not report his deployment.

More on link

tomahawk6 said:
Yep,evidently an Australian source tipped Drudge. 

Or, if we want to peel off even one more layer of the onion
"Australian magazine New Idea formed a key part of the media leak that has compromised Prince Harry's secret deployment in Afghanistan.  New Idea was one of the first publications in the world to reveal the Prince's tour of duty, a move which has prompted UK military officials to consider pulling the royal out of Afghanistan for safety reasons.  The leak broke a media embargo on Harry's deployment which was designed to protect the third-in-line to the British crown.  New Idea said in a statement it had no idea any such media embargo existed and would never have knowingly broken it.  ....  The source behind New Idea's January 7 story is given as a "close friend" of Prince Harry who attended a farewell dinner for the royal...."

Loose lips sink ships and all that - hope the good Prince gets to be a bit pickier about his supper company in future....

"New Idea" seems to be a "People Magazine"-ish MSM publication (although whether THAT's an oxymoron, I don't know) - they have a "Royal Watch" page chasing gossipy tidbits about the Royal family. 

The publication seems to have an e-mail address:  newidea@pacificmags.com.au if you want to comment.  Also, another option could be to let the management of Yahoo's Lifestyle page know any feelings you might have, since they helped get the word out there.

Then again, according to AFP
....The (UK) Ministry of Defence (MoD) had kept the young royal's deployment secret under a news blackout agreed by British media to prevent details reaching insurgents and endangering the prince and his comrades.  But the arrangement broke down after news was leaked out on the US website, the Drudge Report, which said that the Australian magazine New Idea and the German tabloid Bild were the first to break a world embargo.  The Drudge Report site later dropped mention to Bild and New Idea, claiming the exclusive as their own....

That's still the case last I checked - here's Matt Drudge's contact info if you're so inclined...

Funny, I was just showing this to my hubby and we both realized that we don't even know the Prince's last name!  Strange how growing up and even now, the Royal Family has always been Queen this, Prince that, King so and so.  Anyone know the Royal Family's last name?

Windsor. As in, The House of Windsor.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page5657.asp

Just as children can take their surnames from their father, so sovereigns normally take the name of their 'House' from their father. For this reason, Queen Victoria's eldest son Edward VII belonged to the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (the family name of his father Prince Albert). Edward VII's son George V became the second king of that dynasty when he succeeded to the throne in 1910.

In 1917, there was a radical change, when George V specifically adopted Windsor, not only as the name of the 'House' or dynasty, but also as the surname of his family. The family name was changed as a result of anti-German feeling during the First World War, and the name Windsor was adopted after the Castle of the same name.

At a meeting of the Privy Council on 17 July 1917, George V declared that 'all descendants in the male line of Queen Victoria, who are subjects of these realms, other than female descendants who marry or who have married, shall bear the name of Windsor'.

the 48th regulator said:
No worries, he will smite all of our enemies!

All behold the Riothamus!  Long may he reign!

dileas

tess

Didnt the Riothamus, King of the Brittones, lose?

Back