• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince Charles told to avoid Quebec

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
This could probably have been posted under politics, too.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2009/10/05/11314836-cp.htmlArticle Link

MONTREAL - A group of radical Quebec sovereigntists with a history of raising a ruckus has found a new target: Prince Charles.

The Reseau de Resistance du Quebecois pounced on word that the prince's planned Canadian tour next month would include a stop in Quebec. The group's leader Patrick Bourgeois warned the Prince of Wales to stay out of Quebec.

"Quebecers have nothing to do with the British monarchy," Bourgeois wrote in Le Quebecois newsletter, released Monday.

"They want to be rid of such a retrograde and exploitive symbol, they don't recognize themselves at all in a foreign kingdom with hands reddened by the blood of people that the English subjugated throughout history . . ."   ::)

The RRQ played a major role in forcing organizers to scrap a planned military re-enactment earlier this year of the pivotal 1759 battle of the Plains of Abraham in which the English defeated the French.

In a rant that also targeted Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean, and Prince Charles' wife, Camilla Parker Bowles, Bourgeois called the monarchy "crassly anti-democratic."

Bourgeois said British monarchs generally avoid Quebec "like the plague". He suggested Charles follow that example.

More on link

That's gratitude for you.

It was the British monarchy that allowed the Quebecois to keep their language, their religion, their Seigniorial system, their land and their Common Law.

I guess they can’t fathom the fact that they could all have been English speaking Protestants or living in some other far corner of the world today had this not happened.

George Wallace said:
That's gratitude for you.

It was the British monarchy that allowed the Quebecois to keep their language, their religion, their Seigniorial system, their land and their Common Law.

I guess they can’t fathom the fact that they could all have been English speaking Protestants or living in some other far corner of the world today had this not happened.

Or put to the sword, as was common at one time.  If they feel they are sooooo repressed maybe they should have a little chat with Armenians, Ukranians, Kurds, Estonians, Latvians... I could go on ad nausem.

On the upside it reduces the risk to royal health presented by poutine clogged arteries.

It's always people who were never oppressed who rail the loudest against people who never oppressed anyone.

Perhaps he should take his cue from Groucho Marx, "I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."

I agree that some political groups are stupids but as you know, they don't represent all people form Quebec.

Antoine said:
I agree that some political groups are stupids but as you know, they don't represent all people form Quebec.

Obviously not, however, I notice there's no vocal group from Quebec supporting the monarchy, either.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Obviously not, however, I notice there's no vocal group from Quebec supporting the monarchy, either.  ::)
Nor should there have to be... I don't mind the monarchy, but I'm not a fan of it.
I am a staunch federalist, but I would like to see a Canadian republic after the current monarch's reign.  :cdn:

Jungle said:
Nor should there have to be... I don't mind the monarchy, but I'm not a fan of it.
I am a staunch federalist, but I would like to see a Canadian republic after the current monarch's reign.  :cdn:

And that, as I understand the poll data (and my understanding may be very imperfect), puts you in the majority of Canadians, from all age groups and regions.

Jungle said:

I don't know about staunch, but so are a (slim?) majority of Québecers.

Jungle said:

And again you are not part of a minority, but it is not clear to me that republicans, per se, are a majority and even if they are - as they were in Australia - they divide on the sort of republic they want.

I am not a fan of the monarchy. You can understand from an historical point of view why a majority of francophones don't care much. However, I don't agree with the lack of respect that some Canadians (including many Quebecers) show toward our institutions, and the Monarchy is one of them.

Despite the Bloc Quebecois gets a lot of votes, I am not convinced that it correlates with the number of separatists. The Bloc gets its votes from many Quebecers bitter from the past Liberal scandales, others thinking that Harper is too right wings and others finding that the NDP is too federalist, too keen on multiculturalism and too left wings. The Bloc seems for many Quebecers to be a good opposition party in a minority government. However, it is obvious that all the Bloc members are separatist but not all the voters. More important, let see how Quebecers will feel if Harper wins a majority without the Quebec in the next election. 

I am convinced that their are more federalist in Quebec than it appears as they don't talk as loud as the separatists. Personally, I didn't find a good way to convince my separatist friends that we can continue to evolve as Quebecers in Canada without being a threat, and in the long run, there is more benefit to be part of Canada than being on our own.

I am a strong advocate of the complementarity and synergy of the Anglo and Franco cultures in Canada. We shall not be divided to being ruled.

However, that is my :2c: gut feeling.

E.R. Campbell said:
And again you are not part of a minority, but it is not clear to me that republicans, per se, are a majority and even if they are - as they were in Australia - they divide on the sort of republic they want.
My post was in response to other posters who made it seem like it was wrong to not be in love with the monarchy.

I am in favour of a republic, but the form it would take would have to be debated and probably put to a referendum. Personally, I would like to see a Canadian elected head-of-state as well as a Canadian elected head-of-government.

Finally, Mr Campbell, I think you are correct in saying that I am part of the majority, but it is a silent (or quiet) one. The Québec separatists understand that the squeeky wheel gets the oil, and even though they probably represent about 1/3 of the Québécois, they get a lot of exposure in the Québec media.

Jungle said:
My post was in response to other posters who made it seem like it was wrong to not be in love with the monarchy.

I am in favour of a republic, but the form it would take would have to be debated and probably put to a referendum. Personally, I would like to see a Canadian elected head-of-state as well as a Canadian elected head-of-government.

Finally, Mr Campbell, I think you are correct in saying that I am part of the majority, but it is a silent (or quiet) one. The Québec separatists understand that the squeeky wheel gets the oil, and even though they probably represent about 1/3 of the Québécois, they get a lot of exposure in the Québec media.

The problem with the concept of instituting a republic is the same as the problem with any sort of constitutional reform. Getting Quebec on side with the idea, without alienating the other provinces by giving them too many concessions. For this reason alone, I can't see Canada ditching the Monarchy while Quebec is still a part of the country. And of course, should that occur, any pressure to get rid of the Monarchy is lessened.

As a dual citizen I actually have two different opinions on this.

As a Canadian, I'm indifferent to the monarchy
As a British citizen. I'm in favour of a gradual removal of the monarchy.
It it has to be gradual otherwise you might just end up with Oliver Cromwell again.

gcclarke said:
... I can't see Canada ditching the Monarchy while Quebec is still a part of the country.

Kind of ironic, isn't it ??  ;D

Jungle said:
Kind of ironic, isn't it ??  ;D

Yes, very much so. Don't get me wrong, overall, I think the dichotomy that exists in this country is for the most part, good for us. But damn, sometimes it makes it hard to get stuff done.

Jungle said:

Actually, I don't think it's wrong "not to be in love with the monarchy".  My feelings about it are relatively neutral.  What I find abhorrent are that these groups are openly admitting to disruptions to the visit.  I understand they don't harbour any good feelings about the royal family, but I don't feel they should be allowed to make threats against them.  Can you imagine if they said the same things about Obama?  ::)

Back