• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prime Minister questioned about expenses

CBH99 said:
The system seems to have caught the error & corrected it.  I'm not sure how much of that specific situation can be pinned on the PM.

Apparently, the buck never goes that far.  Then again, it is probably still Harper's fault.

I think people are generally unaware how little the PM and PMO are involved in the day to day operations of government, nor that most decisions at the Cabinet/Minister level are made based on a 3 page briefing note. Unless I see stuff coming directly from his office i assume much of is done by others.

Colin P said:
I think people are generally unaware how little the PM and PMO are involved in the day to day operations of government, nor that most decisions at the Cabinet/Minister level are made based on a 3 page briefing note. Unless I see stuff coming directly from his office i assume much of is done by others.

Absolutely. There's a lot of senior public servants who are getting to keep their jobs due to catastrophic failures that get blamed on the government in power, when it was in reality their advice and project management that caused/main contributor to the failure.

Do you think the PMO knew about the millions billions of dollars the Ontario Liberals were hiding and lying about?

Jarnhamar said:
Do you think the PMO knew about the millions billions of dollars the Ontario Liberals were hiding and lying about?

I'm confused. Why would the PMO care about Ontario Provincial finances (except, possibly in the general sense)?

I can't answer why they would.  If you ask why they should I'd say because the Ontario Liberals were misleading and lying to Canadians and the PMO should have stopped them as a matter of integrity.

Why?

Unless you are suggesting that the Provincial Liberal parties dance to the tune of the Federal Liberal Party. Which i don't believe is the case.

At risk of sounding naive it's the right thing to do.

Whether it's federal or provincial a Canadian government agency was lying about billions of dollars. It's almost like we're becomming desensitized to our government being fiscally irresponsible at best and criminal at worst.

Jarnhamar said:
At risk of sounding naive it's the right thing to do.

Whether it's federal or provincial a Canadian government agency was lying about billions of dollars. It's almost like we're becomming desensitized to our government being fiscally irresponsible at best and criminal at worst.

Part of the confusion may lie in part that the feds only concentrate on, and concern themselves with, what they can take out of the provinces, not what they can put in. Nor are they above using divisive politics against provincial governments who question their decisions or meddling.

Most provinces don't tolerate federal government interference and are quick to try and stomp on it when it happens. Unless they are in a parasitic relationship. The good news is those relationships have been dissolving before the PM's eyes. Ontario, NB and Quebec, soon to be followed by Alberta. All are excising the tentacles of the feds from the business of their provinces. It'll be up to the next government to try rebuild the trust and co-operation that's been lost.

Speaking about other peoples money

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending a decision by Statistics Canada to compel banks and financial institutions to release the personal transaction data of 500,000 people without their consent.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4608105/trudeau-defends-statistics-canada-move-to-collect-banking-info-of-500000-canadians/?fbclid=IwAR1RhQPGkLmam7JwWXGFF15vqkKKDuyhWX_5eGnrY3MerPsAgZ2hx8fMkvg

Of course he did.

https://ottawasun.com/opinion/letters/you-said-it-justin-just-so-generous

Found this tweet pretty obnoxious, just throwing cash around. At least it's not 50 million USD

1205-ed-murphy-e1544294515311.jpg

That particular financial funding commitment had been made as part of foreign aid spending months prior... But that sort of glib reply through social media definitely didn’t play well. Poor optics, easily twisted by those more interested in pitching a narrative than in genuinely delving into the content and context.

Glib reply for sure.  Came across as him being flippant with 50 million dollars.

There's a very casual way the Liberals appear to treat money.

Considering this is the most fiscal undisciplined out of the 4 PM's I have worked for, it's sadly par for the course of how they view the public purse.

I could be wrong (and I probably am) -- BUT... it COULD have been an attempt to attract young, socially conscious voters in the next election.

By announcing a $50 million contribution to education efforts towards women & girls in developing countries via social media, I *think* the intent was to make young voters aware of the effort the government is undertaking for a noble cause.  Instead of it being drowned out in the newspapers and news radio, by announcing it via social media towards a pretty popular news celebrity, I think the intent was to get young people aware of the issue & what our government is doing to support those efforts.  Get those young folks at vegan coffee houses to vote for them in the coming election.

Unfortunately, the media being the media, didn't report the situation in it's full context.  (Surprise!)  So while the funding was part of a funding package announced months prior, that important fact was ignored - and instead, the media's narrative was how 'flippant the young PM is with your tax dollars!' -- ignoring that it was part of a larger financial aid package authorized months prior.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I really don't know.  Just throwing out a possible mindset behind the tweet.

No, CBH99, I am afraid it was just a flippant and actually improper tweet.

First of all, the media DID report that the funding was allocated months before ... but only a few days later when they finally managed to determine that fact. As drafted, the tweet makes no reference to the fact that it was already allocated funding, so they had to investigate to see wether it was such a past allocation or new funding promised on the fly without parliament agreement. The tweet is totally unclear as to the fact that it was past policy or not. And if that's a way to inform younger gens of your policy, its a pretty weird one since it does not makes that statement.

Moreover, the tweet is wrong in and of itself where the social message is concerned: #Educannotwait is NOT a fund dedicated to supporting girl and women education around the world, it is a U.N. emergency fund dedicated to providing educational services to all (boys and girls) children in area affected by disasters, be they wars, natural disaster, etc. So Trudeau's tweet is not accurate at all.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
So Trudeau's tweet is not accurate at all.

Shocking that our current PM would pull another OOMA comment without thinking about the consequences.

- "The F35 does not work"
- "This matter will go to court" (VAdm Norman affair)
- "This will be the last FPF election"

For a PMO so full on smart people (Tedford and Butts) they sure step on their appendages a lot! 

"If" the PM is to be defeated the opposition is going to have to hammer home those kinds of things. 

I say "if" because I don't think the opposition is in any way ready or able to dethrone Justin Trudeau at this time.  Neither Scheer nor Singh inspire any sort of confidence.

They need to reinforce the still not ready mantra.  There has not been any real outrageous scandal per se but there has not been a lot of accomplishments either. 

Remius said:
"If" the PM is to be defeated the opposition is going to have to hammer home those kinds of things. 

I say "if" because I don't think the opposition is in any way ready or able to dethrone Justin Trudeau at this time.  Neither Scheer nor Singh inspire any sort of confidence.

They need to reinforce the still not ready mantra.  There has not been any real outrageous scandal per se but there has not been a lot of accomplishments either.
[/quote Don't you think there are minds behind the talking mouths in Ottawa that already know that.  It is very hard to get the news out though if the news folks don't want to cooperate and print it.  Even though there have been numerous errors the press is still baby sitting Justin.  Taking out adds is the only alternative and they probably already have the add campaign planned to do just that once the writ is dropped.  It would be better though to come as a result of a reporter's due diligence rather than 'a message from your pc party'

It depends on who you read.  I honestly don't think the media as a whole is baby sitting him. The problem is more likely that most people either don't read or watch the news enough to know.

I like John Ivison, John Ibbitson and Andrew Coyne.  All mainstream opinion writers and commentators.  One is a regular on CTV the others appear on CBC's panels.  All are critics of Trudeau.  I also like Chantal Hebert who despite her leanings has a good grasp of current politics. 

but if people choose to ignore those mediums then how would they even know?

Back