• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prime Minister questioned about expenses

Halifax Tar said:
1) 13K for a new deck is ridiculous.  Thats gotta be some deck.

2) A city park quality swing set ?  Yup thats on par with the middle class who actually goes to city parks to use those swing sets.

3) I don't know a single person, retired or not, who owns a golf cart.  You do ?

4) I know of 2 quads in my circle.  1 was free from a father to his son, not me.  The other is at our hunting camp.  It was bought in '96 and its held together by prayers and gorilla tape. Oh and our camp was bought in the 70s for less than my 1/2 months pay cheque by my wifes uncle.

5) I have one friend who owns cottage.  Hes a doctor, president of major provincial political party and his wife is a real estate agent.  Cottages are out of reach for the middle class now.  They are well in the neighborhood of a second mortgage now. 

(5 a) We bought a used camper for pennies because we became frustrated at how out of our reach a cottage had become. 

5) None of my friends own a boat, or a dock to tie it up too.

I am not sure we run in the same social/economic standing my friend.  And me and my wife both make excellent pay cheques.  Shes a teacher, and I am a PO2 Storesman.

iPad issues.. :'(

Sorry.

Halifax Tar said:
1) 13K for a new deck is ridiculous.  Thats gotta be some deck.

2) A city park quality swing set ?  Yup thats on par with the middle class who actually goes to city parks to use those swing sets.

3) I don't know a single person, retired or not, who owns a golf cart.  You do ?

4) I know of 2 quads in my circle.  1 was free from a father to his son, not me.  The other is at our hunting camp.  It was bought in '96 and its held together by prayers and gorilla tape. Oh and our camp was bought in the 70s for less than my 1/2 months pay cheque by my wifes uncle.

5) I have one friend who owns cottage.  Hes a doctor, president of major provincial political party and his wife is a real estate agent.  Cottages are out of reach for the middle class now.  They are well in the neighborhood of a second mortgage now. 

(5 a) We bought a used camper for pennies because we became frustrated at how out of our reach a cottage had become. 

5) None of my friends own a boat, or a dock to tie it up too.

I am not sure we run in the same social/economic standing my friend.  And me and my wife both make excellent pay cheques.  Shes a teacher, and I am a PO2 Storesman.

So, here is a link to having a deck built.  No clue what the square footage is.

https://www.trex.com/products/deck-cost-landing/productcalculator/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF2V4_bNkRWAsm0TCzRHsa9Qnr3hul1wEOFgXcGYOe5DOd92zGgc6OIaAhpaEALw_wcB

Play structure. Ok here is one at Wayfair.  https://www.wayfair.ca/baby-kids/pdp/backyard-discovery-safari-cedar-all-cedar-swing-set-bkyo1009.html  For 10,000$.  That being the more expensive one.  He’s paying 7500 of his own money. Who cares, he’s paying for it.

The golf cart is also used by staff.  Rideau Hall has several as well. 

The prime minister also does not own this cottage.  He gets to use it.  Want to use it? Become the Prime Minister.  I know plenty of “middle class” with a cottage.  Not a Harrington lake cottage but the PM doesn’t own that either.

I have a few friends with boats.  One former co worker travelling with theirs for six months. Ex RMS Sgt. 

He’s the PM.  Once you become PM you aren’t middle class anymore.  Few are middle class before they become PM.

What’s funny is that Andrew Scheer had no problem living in tax payer provided housing when he was speaker or as opposition leader.

Here is a comment he made on that residence:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/27/andrew-scheer-speaker-house-commons_n_8665202.html

“Scheer said he doesn't think abandoning Kingsmere would save money, because the National Capital Commission, which is responsible for official residences, would still have to maintain the property, renovate it and keep the heat on. "So they might as well use it, and they might as well, as I tried to, share it with parliamentarians."

Again, our Prime Minister isn’t middle class (none are) and we should stop imposing that standard on them and more importantly on the Office of the PM.

Speaking of decks, here's the lower end of the middle class talking about their decks: https://youtu.be/KW5rhvmAu0c

Remius said:
iPad issues.. :'(

Sorry.

So, here is a link to having a deck built.  No clue what the square footage is.

https://www.trex.com/products/deck-cost-landing/productcalculator/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF2V4_bNkRWAsm0TCzRHsa9Qnr3hul1wEOFgXcGYOe5DOd92zGgc6OIaAhpaEALw_wcB

Play structure. Ok here is one at Wayfair.  https://www.wayfair.ca/baby-kids/pdp/backyard-discovery-safari-cedar-all-cedar-swing-set-bkyo1009.html  For 10,000$.  That being the more expensive one.  He’s paying 7500 of his own money. Who cares, he’s paying for it.

Is he ?  He didnt say that in the HOC.  Why didnt he just say that ? 

The golf cart is also used by staff.  Rideau Hall has several as well.

Well the surly need another

The prime minister also does not own this cottage.  He gets to use it.  Want to use it? Become the Prime Minister.  I know plenty of “middle class” with a cottage.  Not a Harrington lake cottage but the PM doesn’t own that either.

I didn't bring up cottage ownership.  captloadie did.  All these "middle class" people who bought cottages must be in a different middle class than I know or they don't care about personal debt or they bought decades ago when they were affordable or it was inherited.

I have a few friends with boats.  One former co worker travelling with theirs for six months. Ex RMS Sgt.

Sure.  What don't they have to compensate for that boat they are sailing on for 6 months ?

He’s the PM.  Once you become PM you aren’t middle class anymore.  Few are middle class before they become PM.

What’s funny is that Andrew Scheer had no problem living in tax payer provided housing when he was speaker or as opposition leader.

Here is a comment he made on that residence:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/27/andrew-scheer-speaker-house-commons_n_8665202.html

“Scheer said he doesn't think abandoning Kingsmere would save money, because the National Capital Commission, which is responsible for official residences, would still have to maintain the property, renovate it and keep the heat on. "So they might as well use it, and they might as well, as I tried to, share it with parliamentarians."

Again, our Prime Minister isn’t middle class (none are) and we should stop imposing that standard on them and more importantly on the Office of the PM.

I have no issue with honest upgrades or repairs.  Even something that is befitting a head of state, I think I said this already in this thread. 

I don't begrudge him having tax payer residences, or any elected official for that matter that that entitlement is deemed appropriate for.  Im coo wit dat.

What I am not cool with is this is the PM of the same party who went ballistic over a 16$ glass of orange juice while in opposition, who also took a pretty shady and apparently overstaffed and unethical vacation with the Aga Khan,  who told my I was asking too much if I become wounded, who lied to me about life long pensions for wounded vets, who lied to me about electoral reform, who lied to me about lowering the federal debt, and all the while claiming to be a champion of the ever dwindling middle class.  And then thinking:

$7500 for a swing set.
$5000 golf cart.
$8500 for new boat racks.
$13'000 for a new deck
$4000 to wire a new sauna.
$20'000 to groom ski trails

Are all purchases that endear to the middle class.

Oh ya, I voted for Trudeau too.  He's got an uphill road to climb to get that vote a second time. 

You never voted Trudeau, unless you live in his riding / have made your SOR declaration to be his riding.

dapaterson said:
You never voted Trudeau, unless you live in his riding / have made your SOR declaration to be his riding.

I stand corrected.  I voted for Geoff Regan.  I will say it was personally in support of Trudeau.  I sadly contributed to the red wave that swept the Maritimes.

You have to able to afford to live in his riding, just kidding it's a very mixed income riding.  See this article here and read between the lines: http://o.canada.com/news/justin-trudeau-admits-that-he-won-the-lottery-with-1-2-million-inheritance-and-successful-speaking-business

Unlike many middle class Canadians, outside of his federal pension he has a cash safety net that seems substantial but not overwhelming.

If it makes people feel better, pretty sure the cost of the deck is actually for the deck AND the dock, both of which had to be replaced.

Overall, the only thing that bothers me is the grooming of the trails for a few reasons, the biggest being that they are under a contract and would get paid whether it snowed or not. And then, if there is a higher than planned for snowfall the company gets paid more. So the price will only ever go up and never down from the contracted agreement.

And really, the only people using the trail are the family and guests at the residence and is a yearly contract. Whereas all the other fixes are one time purchases that will be topped up as needed, but not likely at a yearly rate.

A G7 country, with a 2 trillion dollar economy, a government running a deficit of 18 billion dollars, out of a total of 338 billion dollars spent, getting worked up about 60 thousand dollars of work around the Prime Ministers properties.

It's kind of cute really.

Altair said:
A G7 country, with a 2 trillion dollar economy, a government running a deficit of 18 billion dollars, out of a total of 338 billion dollars spent, getting worked up about 60 thousand dollars of work around the Prime Ministers properties.

It's kind of cute really.

Just like $16 Orange juice, eh old boy ?

Glass home owners, should not throw stones.

This is what we do now in politics in Canada and don't pretend that your current party or leader of choice is above it.

I always like to see what comparable countries do with their leaders' perks and what not.

Take Australia which is likely the most comparable. The US is in a league of its own so I won't go there.

The PM gets two official residences. 
The PM also gets a nanny as part of his/her staff if needed.
The PM is paid way more than ours.  Ours is somewhere around $350,000 theirs is somewhere around $550,000
Both have cars and planes (provided by their respective airforces)
Also the Australians recently renovated the residence to the tune of over 8 million.  Oh the horror if that happened here.

Not sure what amenities they get but it looks like the Aus PM has a pool and in Sydney has waterfront property, so possibly a dock as well.

Halifax Tar said:

This is what we do now in politics in Canada and don't pretend that your current party or leader of choice is above it.
And if I ever complained about a 16 dollar glass of juice, you would have a point.

That was stupid.

This is stupid.

I wont defend stupid.

Halifax Tar said:

For sure.  Except that glass of OJ was the straw that broke the Camel's back in Bev Oda's case.  1000$ a day for limo rides, ($6000 alone for a few days in Halifax) upgrading from a 5 star hotel to another pricier one etc etc.

The problem is that Scheer tried to make the swing set into the glass of OJ and failed.

No worries, I'm sure they will dig something up.  With rumours of a snap election brewing Scheer will be scrambling to pin something on him. 

Remius said:
I always like to see what comparable countries do with their leaders' perks and what not.

Take Australia which is likely the most comparable. The US is in a league of its own so I won't go there.

The PM is paid way more than ours.  Ours is somewhere around $350,000 theirs is somewhere around $550,000
Also the Australians recently renovated the residence to the tune of over 8 million.  Oh the horror if that happened here.

Not sure what amenities they get but it looks like the Aus PM has a pool and in Sydney has waterfront property, so possibly a dock as well.
Stop talking sense, it's not welcome in Canadian politics.

Remius said:

I am going under the assumption that this post was directed at me.  If incorrect apologies in advance.

You have read my posts where I continually state that I have no issue with official residences, and their necessary up keep and renovations; and to a level befitting that of a head of state, right ?

As for Australia.  Whoopidy doo.

Altair said:
And if I ever complained about a 16 dollar glass of juice, you would have a point.

That was stupid.

This is stupid.

I wont defend stupid.

Careful, I will hold you too that ;)

Remius said:
For sure.  Except that glass of OJ was the straw that broke the Camel's back in Bev Oda's case.  1000$ a day for limo rides, ($6000 alone for a few days in Halifax) upgrading from a 5 star hotel to another pricier one etc etc.

The problem is that Scheer tried to make the swing set into the glass of OJ and failed.

No worries, I'm sure they will dig something up.  With rumours of a snap election brewing Scheer will be scrambling to pin something on him. 

Bev Oda is small potato's compare to the fast and loose spending methods our sitting government seems too enjoy. 

Must I bring up the Aga Khan vacation, Omar Khdar's 10.5 Million, importing a chef for 17K for the India flop, all the while telling wounded veteran's that they are asking too much ?  I can go on with a simple Google search, must I ?  Mr. Scheer won't have to dig too deep.

Halifax Tar said:
I am going under the assumption that this post was directed at me.  If incorrect apologies in advance.

You have read my posts where I continually state that I have no issue with official residences, and their necessary up keep and renovations; and to a level befitting that of a head of state, right ?

As for Australia.  Whoopidy doo.

Careful, I will hold you too that ;)

Bev Oda is small potato's compare to the fast and loose spending methods our sitting government seems too enjoy. 

Must I bring up the Aga Khan vacation, Omar Khdar's 10.5 Million, importing a chef for 17K for the India flop, all the while telling wounded veteran's that they are asking too much ?  I can go on with a simple Google search, must I ?  Mr. Scheer won't have to dig too deep.

Actually no.  It was more for informational purposes and comparables given the topic.  You can do better than Whoopidy do. I thought some perspecvtive on the issue might be helpful.

You have a valid point on the Aga Khan trip.  No denying it but that story is a bit stale by now. The India trip was certainly a fiasco.

As for the Kadr settlement, veterans, etc.  Apples and oranges in regards to the topic and Scheer will have a hard time using either given his party's track record on those very things.

I believe that, as usual, it is the arrogance and the duplicitous message that ought to be the real issue. Is what is being provided the PM and his family unacceptable for a leader of  our country, as compared to what could be called the norm? No.

But it is Trudeau himself that constantly puts himself up as the hero of the middle class while constantly providing himself and his family with perks and benefits that no one in the middle class can even dream of getting access to that is galling. He just can't keep on saying that he knows and understand the middle class while living he high life and not realizing that it's not the middle class' normal lifestyle.

If he had set himself up as being  a leader like all other world leader - not a product of the middle class - then I would have no problem. (Except, maybe with the golf cart thing: The damn property is only five hectares for god's sake. That's only 200 x 250 meters. The're young, active and in shape: walk dammit!)

Remius said:
Actually no.  It was more for informational purposes and comparables given the topic.  You can do better than Whoopidy do. I thought some perspecvtive on the issue might be helpful.

I really couldn't care less about what Australia does for its elected leaders.  I am a Canadian and live in Canada.  I don't concern myself with the official residences of other world leaders.  So "Whoopidy Do" sums it up nicely.  But perhaps "meah" if more to your liking ?

You have a valid point on the Aga Khan trip.  No denying it but that story is a bit stale by now. The India trip was certainly a fiasco.

I think its stale if you come from the position that its bad news for your position and you hope its gone away.  2019 Will be telling.

As for the Kadr settlement, veterans, etc.  Apples and oranges in regards to the topic and Scheer will have a hard time using either given his party's track record on those very things.

I don't see paying an enemy combatant a settlement and then veterans benefits, or lack there of, as disconnected, but I will relent that may be more telling of the different ways we see the subject matter, so we may have to agree to disagree. 

The only issue I see for the Cons in the Veterans matter is that while they were in government they didn't undo the NVC, which of course is Liberal legislation.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I believe that, as usual, it is the arrogance and the duplicitous message that ought to be the real issue. Is what is being provided the PM and his family unacceptable for a leader of  our country, as compared to what could be called the norm? No.

But it is Trudeau himself that constantly puts himself up as the hero of the middle class while constantly providing himself and his family with perks and benefits that no one in the middle class can even dream of getting access to that is galling. He just can't keep on saying that he knows and understand the middle class while living he high life and not realizing that it's not the middle class' normal lifestyle.

If he had set himself up as being  a leader like all other world leader - not a product of the middle class - then I would have no problem. (Except, maybe with the golf cart thing: The damn property is only five hectares for god's sake. That's only 200 x 250 meters. The're young, active and in shape: walk dammit!)

100% in agreement.

Back