• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pride to be in the forces and everybody is leaving

j-f

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been in the airforce for 8 years .its is now my second posting and still the same .no one like to be in the forces and everybody is trying to get out .

I like the canadian forces , the best time i had was on tasking or exercise in wainwright.it seems like everyone i met in wainwright ( infantry or armoured ) loved there job and bever said anything about it being bullshit and couldnt wait to get out .im a firefighter so it could be that airforce love to complain but everubody is looking for civilian job .

So after that long paragraphe of not saying anything i was wondering if there is more pride in the army , more people liking there job and less complaining ( i dont mean complaining about the shitty weather ,the rain or the lack of sleep ) i mean complaining about serving there country or the forces in general .it seems like it was better before people are saying but if i was looking to remaster ...is the army a better fit .

Thanks

Ill give you my take on it, many I know who are thinking of pulling pin love the army, they love serving their country. What people are annoyed at is bull shit that the CoC does that seems to screw over the troops. I think everywhere you go there will be some sort of frustration with the Forces in general, and some people eventually have enough and pull pin, and I don't think the army is any different in that regard.

JF P said:
no one like to be in the forces and everybody is trying to get out .

And how many are trying to get back in?

Getting Back In/Re-enrolling Mega Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/294.475
36 pages.

It seems that in my trade 75 % wants to get out in the first 5 years .maybe 30 %do it a year... is it the same in the army ? Or other trade.its hard to stay motivated when everybody tell you they are trying to get out ... or how its better outside the military .

It doesn't help that majority of our equipment is old and outdated, in disrepair, and causes more damage to our health as a result. Having to use broken, old, uncomfortable kit is demoralizing.

It doesn't help that we haven't had a salary increase in many years (cost of living adjustments don't count, I'm talking a real salary increase). Our benefits haven't been reevaluated and adjusted to the massive and rapid changes to the market (like PLD).

We're at the bottom of the totem pole. Everyone wants boosts to education, health care, environment, and rightfully so, but the CF has needs too and they've been neglected for a long, long time. Too long if you ask me.

Yes, some things have improved, but it's not nearly enough.

I have great pride in what I do and I won't quit any time soon... Doesn't mean I don't or can't complain though.

Very few civilians are getting pay increases of any sort.  Getting full time work is the life focus for many and keeping a job is the priority.  If you are getting any form of pay adjustments you are doing very well.  As for status; education is the least appreciated profession, nobody cares about their hospitals, and we're all going to roast if they don't do something about global warming now.  However  I recall being told that as an officer I had to discriminate between 'bitching' and complaining.  The latter was to be taken seriously the former was healthy in the army.  So no. Do not complain, but "b...'all you like.

Sandyson said:
and we're all going to roast if they don't do something about global warming now.

::)

And I seem to remember MPs and Senators getting a pay increase.

I agree with Sandyson here.

In the Navy, I have found that the level of bitchin' one gets from seamen is usually directly proportional to how competent and trade qualified he/she is: The more they bitch, the more competent they are.

And bitchin is a "basic seaman's right"  ;D.

Invertly, if the bitchin stops for any noticeable duration, the officers and captain should watch out: Something bad is about to happen.

Sandyson said:
I recall being told that as an officer I had to discriminate between 'bitching' and complaining. 
But don't confuse bitching and whining.

I figure it's a complaint if it includes potential solutions ("this organization isn't working; could we shift the following people..."); bitching if there's no solution offered ("this ruck is too heavy"); and whining if it's a non-solvable issue ("yes Bloggins, I know it's raining; thank you for that astute observation.... now STFU").  ;D

/tangent

Sandyson said:
However  I recall being told that as an officer I had to discriminate between 'bitching' and complaining.  The latter was to be taken seriously the former was healthy in the army.  So no. Do not complain, but "b...'all you like.

Point of contention I have here. As an officer/leader, you must be able to differentiate between the two. Members CAN complain about something, and a leader must be able to alleviate, explain, or assist in that complaint.

For example, if someone complains about how a piece of equipment is junk, you can educate about the UCR process. If someone complains about an unsafe practice or hazardous condition in their workplace, you can should start the DND 663 process. A redress of grievance is by it's very nature, a complaint.

A complaint is "a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable." Ignoring valid complaints, or creating an environment that it's not permissible creates an environment where nothing gets better.

I found the Army to be more of a tight group. I found the Airforce to be more of on your own at work and  the second the day was done everyone went home to do their own thing.

CTD said:
I found the Army to be more of a tight group. I found the Airforce to be more of on your own at work and  the second the day was done everyone went home to do their own thing.

The Army equips the man... the Air Force mans the equipment

CTD said:

I can only speak for myself, but our community doesn't seem to be this way.  Going home after work is partially because we work and life together when not at home and you can't get time away from people in the air, hotel room you share or wherever you sleep.  You ride to from the plane with them, eat with them and hear them on ICS for hours on end.  Time away becomes needed.

OP:

JF P said:
.im a firefighter so it could be that airforce love to complain but everubody is looking for civilian job .

Could it be that firefighters are looking for the same job with a municipal department?

I'm very much a new member of the CF, but I am in the Army and I can honestly say it's very fulfilling. I must qualify my statement by saying I've never served in the RCAF and have no other military experience to compare my Army experience with. What I can say is this: I am enjoying my training and I am proud to be a member. I've never experienced this type of group achievement and solidarity before. Everyone I am training with is extremely proud to serve, and we attribute our group successes to helping each other out and completing tasks as a group. We don't let each other get over-stressed or burnt out because these things lead to jadedness. Personally, I wholeheartedly recommend joining the Army. I hope you're able to resolve your questions.

Trailhawk said:
I'm very much a new member of the CF, but I am in the Army and I can honestly say it's very fulfilling.

You are a Reservist? So was I. I joined the RCASC when I was 16, and enjoyed my time. I hope you do too!  :)

With respect to pay and compensation....

Public sector workers paid 10.6% more than private sector average: Fraser Institute

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fraser-institute-salary-1.3887133

Back