• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRes SigOp training

JAWS228 said:
this is how you use a mouse

I remember that from our IT portion.
'
"This a pointing device, commonly referred to as a 'mouse' "

Puck, it looks like the main intent of getting pers qualified faster was the major force behind the idea I guess. The thinking might be going is that the faster someone is qualified, the faster that person can be an asset to the unit and will be more content and not having to wait a whole year to go to Kingston to do QL3s. It was a bit frustrating getting back to the unit and when going on first exercise with the unit couldn't really do much because you were not qualified. But I can agree it might be a challenge for a unit like yours that's in an area with little PRes units to get a weekend BMQ going, but shouldn't be too big of a problem for units that have alot of PRes units around. It's good to see that they doubled the length of the QL3 because that definitely needed to be done as it the old QL3 left alot lacking.

Yep, I can totally see that. I know I would have loved to have been employable. However, there's a lot of ancillary training that gets done after a BMQ, so that students are prep'd for their summer courses: LSVW Driver wheeled, Winter Warfare, VP Package. I think both ways have a shining light at the end of the tunnel, but relying on other units to train our pers really cuts down our ability to force generate pers when the going gets tough.

PuckChaser said:
Yep, I can totally see that. I know I would have loved to have been employable. However, there's a lot of ancillary training that gets done after a BMQ, so that students are prep'd for their summer courses: LSVW Driver wheeled, Winter Warfare, VP Package. I think both ways have a shining light at the end of the tunnel, but relying on other units to train our pers really cuts down our ability to force generate pers when the going gets tough.

The problem with that unit-based ancillary training is that it's not the same from unit to unit. The four-month QL3 that ran this summer showed up at CFSCE with sub-par VP and less than a quarter with trailer quals.

404's are waiverable, VP's gone at the unit level with no new pre-3's package at my unit, and winter warfare's a five's pre-req. There's going to be 3's guys showing up this summer with no more advantage over a decent BMQ/SQ grad than an introduction to how to turn a generator on this summer

There was a VP PO early on that got cancelled after most of the early guys flunked. VP's no longer a pre-req according to a standards warrant I talked to, and my unit at least isn't running a VP class for our new guys.

Most of the QL3's got their 404's from their units, but apparently CFSCE and the units didn't discuss the need for trailer quals. A short course was run for them at the school, so someone other than the det commander could be the driver in most dets.

Ancillary training's all well and good, but it can be more than a little disfunctional. CFSCE needs to talk to the units about what the heck's going on and what's needed from them.

Most of the guys failing the VP test failed because they never bothered to show up for the VP training at their units, if they even showed up for ANY training... why units bother to send people who are functionally NES is beyond me... do they expect better attendence from these people after their QL3? Specific example... we had one individual... did BMQ/SQ, didn't show up for training, was eligible for an NES release, the unit begged him to come back, did his QL3, never showed up for training during the year, repeat previous year with the unit begging him to return to training, went on his QL5, then went NES again the following training year, when he was finally released as NES.

I joined Comm Res recently and when I ask about a weekend BMQ people think I'm crazy.  I don't get it.  I'm looking forward to getting going on my training, but if I take 4 weeks off work for my BMQ I won't be able to get on to anything else until next year.  :mad:

Warren12 said:
I joined Comm Res recently and when I ask about a weekend BMQ people think I'm crazy.   I don't get it.  I'm looking forward to getting going on my training, but if I take 4 weeks off work for my BMQ I won't be able to get on to anything else until next year.  :mad:

Depends on where you are, my res unit is running a weekend BMQ in town, inconjunction with the other army res unit in town. Should get about 20 pers ready for their part 1 training before the summer.

Warren12 said:
I joined Comm Res recently and when I ask about a weekend BMQ people think I'm crazy.   I don't get it.  I'm looking forward to getting going on my training, but if I take 4 weeks off work for my BMQ I won't be able to get on to anything else until next year.  :mad:

You know that your first two trades courses are 8 continuous weeks each, right?

Brasidas said:
You know that your first two trades courses are 8 continuous weeks each, right?

Well, I joined as an Officer, so I don't know if I'll be going on those courses before any of my officer training.  2009 is the problem, I can get 8 weeks off in the future without too much difficulty (I hope).  I don't want to make things difficult, but I do have a job that I depend on to live. 

I'm pretty sure you can get BMQ and BMOQ in five weeks, but CAP's your next course and it's quite a bit longer.

If you can take four or five weeks off this summer anyway, you're not going to be missing much in terms of training progression relative to taking a weekend BMQ. I imagine taking the four weeks off so you can take BMQ's going to hurt your pocketbook, though.

Back