• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pre-Assessment Questionnaire

Lebanese Canadian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello

Is there anyone here who had to go throught this pre assessment because he had not been residing in canada for the past 10 years,and how long did it take?

ok here is a post I posted long ago. Guys Im confused between the security clearnace and this security thing some of have to go through. I thought they were the same thing.

Are you talking about an enhanced reliability check or a security clearance? What trade are you applying for?

Im applying for primary reserves and I filled out 3 choices I remember the first one was combat engineer,although I wish to change that now.

But after I did my aptitude test they told me now you have a long wait because we are doing this pre-security(pre assessment) thing.(this isbec I was living abroad)

so I thought this was was the same as  lever 2(or 3) security clearance.

but as I read in the forums its not

am I right?

by the way if I have an enhanced security clearance for a govenrment job,do I have to apply for it again for the reserves?

Lebanese Canadian said:
Im applying for primary reserves and I filled out 3 choices I remember the first one was combat engineer,although I wish to change that now.

But after I did my aptitude test they told me now you have a long wait because we are doing this pre-security(pre assessment) thing.(this isbec I was living abroad)

am I right?

by the way if I have an enhanced security clearance for a govenrment job,do I have to apply for it again for the reserves?

For a LVL 2 clearance or higher you must be in a trade that needs it.

Comabt Engineer is one that requires lvl2 but that is usually completed after have done BMQ IIRC

Lebanese Canadian said:

am I right?

A security clearance and a preassessment are not the same thing.  You require the preassessment because you lived outside the country.  You still have to have an ERC done even if you have one for another job.

may I ask which trade is the least security sensitive?

beach_bum said:
A security clearance and a preassessment are not the same thing.  You require the preassessment because you lived outside the country.  You still have to have an ERC done even if you have one for another job.

Would a preassessment delay the application process even more? Although a citizen, I haven't lived in the country for 10 yrs so I guess they have to do a preassessment.  Also, what's the main difference of security clearance from preassessment?

Hello Everyone,

Long-story short: I am a well-educated, physically fit Canadian looking to volunteer for the Canadian Forces, but am hung-up on security clearance issues.  I am wondering if there is a way to expedite the process.  Below or some more details of my situation. 

I have recently, at the age of 31, decided to join the reserves.  I applied to become an Infantry Officer, despite recommendations that I become a Logistics officer.  I received my conditional offer, but am required to fill out a Security Clearance Form.  Then subsequently being informed that having to fill out said form will likely extended the application timeframe by a year or more.  I was informed that the reason for this is because I have immediate family living abroad.  A sibling (Canadian citizen) teaching english in Japan.  I as well, am a naturally born citizen.

Not encouraging news.  I hear the form must be accurate, otherwise further delays will occur.  Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of information which is now fairly vague for me.  I've held quite a few jobs over the last 10 years, and have several residences.  There is no way I accurately remember the dates, names, and addresses for this history.  And on a more embarrassing note, I am having difficulty finding the exact date one of my parents passed away, as it happened out of the country.

I am not trying to volunteer for the career prospects, or any of the monetary benefits involved.  In fact, I would volunteer for free, were it an option.  My primary drivers are (in no specific order): I want to do something for my country other than pay taxes,  I have always been fascinated by the military culture and have immense respect for our armed forces, I believe that there is a certain discipline and strength of character that comes with involvement in the military (which almost made me apply to be a regular, NCM).  That being said, for practical purposes, I chose the reserves, as I have $100K in student loans that pretty much require I find a full-time job other than one in the CF. 

All in all, this is seriously eroding my determination to enrol.  I already had to overcome near unanimous opposition to my decision to join, and now am faced with quite the bureaucratic hurdle which might see me join no earlier than 2010 or later. 

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You need to fill out the form, but they will use backcheck to give you Enhanced Reliability Status. Which should be the minimum for your chosen trade. At my reserve unit we recruit people into a trade that requires higher than level 3 security clearance, but are recruited relatively quickly and simply wait for the proper clearance before they start the Mod 2 of their QL3. The form is a formality, unless something has come up financially or past criminal record in your BackCheck that would need you to be given Secret clearance before being enrolled.

Unless you're told theres a delay for clearance, its just more in your mountain of paperwork but shouldn't prevent you from getting in the door relatively quickly, especially if you're a Canadian citizen without a prior record or big problems with credit.

Sorry, but you have to go through all the hoops.  There is no backdoor policy in effect to expedite your entry.  You have to complete the complete process, like all others who wish to join the CF.  Don't worry about the Security Check, as BackCheck will be relatively quick.  You do, however, have to research all your personal history data and enter it accurately.  If you don't then you will face further delays, or even rejection.

Park said:
  I am wondering if there is a way to expedite the process. 

No.

Below or some more details of my situation.  

I have read them but i am sorry to say that those details are inconsequential. 

Perhaps if people spent some time actually reading the instructions included with the form they would see this little tidbit under General:

- "If information is not known or is unavailable please indicate this on the form and on a separate sheet of paper explain the cause of circumstance"

You may be then required to sign other forms once you hand your information into the CFRC/D to explain the lack of information.

I was informed that the reason for this is because I have immediate family living abroad.  A sibling (Canadian citizen) teaching english in Japan.

Hmmm, don't think this is the only reason.

In my experience they have instituted a pre-assessment policy in which Ottawa can look quickly at the information about your relatives and say no, you won't need to go through the whole pre-assessment process or yes, you will have to.  I have done several of these in the past month in which the answer came back as no within days (i.e person worked teaching English in Asia).  Not sure if all CFRCs are doing this, but it works great, they should be!

Hogie said:
In my experience they have instituted a pre-assessment policy in which Ottawa can look quickly at the information about your relatives and say no, you won't need to go through the whole pre-assessment process or yes, you will have to.  I have done several of these in the past month in which the answer came back as no within days (i.e person worked teaching English in Asia).  Not sure if all CFRCs are doing this, but it works great, they should be!

ok....

I've held quite a few jobs over the last 10 years, and have several residences.  There is no way I accurately remember the dates, names, and addresses for this history.  And on a more embarrassing note, I am having difficulty finding the exact date one of my parents passed away, as it happened out of the country.

This information, and more, will be required regardless of what the CFRC requires. When comes time for a level 2 or level 3 clearance, he will need to provide the information. This is a long process ( more so for level 3) and having blanks on the form only makes it longer.

Hogie said:
........  Not sure if all CFRCs are doing this, but it works great, they should be!

All CFRCs are supposed to follow the exact same policies and procedures; not operate independently of the system (CFRG).

I was informed that the reason for this is because I have immediate family living abroad.  A sibling (Canadian citizen) teaching english in Japan.

Hmmm, don't think this is the only reason

Seemed unusual for me too, but thats what was explained to me, pretty much immediately after I had disclosed it.  I had also lived in China for 8 months prior (travel/study), but as I kept my primary residence in Canada, they said this was not an issue.

I heard this as well from the corporal dealing with my paperwork.  Perhaps all the paperwork is the same, its the expected waiting times that changes based on your situation. 

At any rate, I thank everyone for their helpful and candid answers. 

Seems like there is nothing left to do except get'er done and wait.

From working in the field for several years, the situations described above are not uncommon.

You have to understand that if you fail to indicate an address, then it could be seen as "is this person trying to hide where they lived? and why?".

Yes, paranoia is involved to a certain degree, but with cause.

My advice: if it takes you 50 phones calls to find an address or missing information, it's well worth the effort. The amount of processing time it will save on your file is quite considerable. If you really really can't find info, write an letter to the effect of why it's impossible. Make it an auto-biography if you need to.

Park said:
Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of information which is now fairly vague for me.  I've held quite a few jobs over the last 10 years, and have several residences.

I ran into this problem as well and called Service Canada.  Everyone you work for is required by law to file a Record of Employment report which is kept by Service Canada at an archive in New Brunswick.  The Service Canada guys patched me through to Employment Insurance who then gave me a fax number for the archive.  I was told to send the following information:

Name, Address, Phone, SIN, Reason for Records Request, Signature.

After faxing, I got the record in 10 business days.

The number I was given is: 1 (506) 548-7149

I would call Service Canada to confirm however.  Good luck and keep working at it.

Edit: Also, you do NOT have to file an EI claim to access the record.

Back