• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Potter fans fury

Trooper Hale said:
This is a bit loserish for a 19 yr old to say but I cant wait for the last book to come out.

I've never read them, but the (adult) nurses at the hospital I work at are fans also; like Bugs Bunny cartoons, I think they appeal to wide array of ages.

The only way a person becomes a loser is if they think they are one....

TMM said:
I'd rather have Rowling end things once and for all to avoid the plethora of poorly written Star Wars type novellas.

Walking through Chapter's the other day I came across a Star Trek: TNG / X-Men crossover novella, now I'm not saying that this was commissioned purely for profit; however, if the show fits eh.  >:D

Bottom line, she's the author and can do as she pleases, I'll most likely read it for escapism either way.

Kat Stevens said:
I'd quietly put the legal machinery in place whereby I owned the rights, solely, to any and all Potter crap.  I'd then refuse to write the last book, leave all those millions of little ritalin junkies hanging.  Good call, Quag   >:D

+1

Kat Stevens said:
Or better yet, a one page last book:
  "The Tommohawk cruise missile flew undetected through the early morning sky, and dipped in a leisurely arc toward its final target.  The gyros made their final course corrections, and Hogwarts disappeared in a blinding flash, killing every one of those infuriating little two dimensional bastards inside.

THE END

+2

Coming from the perspective of someone who is a son, and a young son at that, I'd say that dying in books doesn't stop me from reading at all. That said, it's probably different for someone younger. As a matter of fact, I think it's a powerful way to end a series - three books, one of them the end of a series that I've read recently have done that. (The books being Wings of a Falcon?? or something like that, Lord of Whitestorm, and the Star Trek: SCE series.) Generally, eh - I could care less about it. The only thing that annoys me about a death is that generally it symbolizes the end of a series/book, and some of those books would've been excellent if they'd gone on longer.

Cheers,
Krisz

This might be a bit off topic, but I'm thinking that there is a relevance here.

When I was a kid, there was a cartoon I loved called Star Blazers. This was an edited version for the North American audiences of a Japanese anime. It was based in the future and involved the reincarnation of the Imperial Japanese battleship Yamamoto into the Argo as a spaceship (it's a 70s cartoon folks, trust me, it was cool). Now here's the thing, the actual Yamamoto was sunk on April 7, 1945 200m north of Okinawa (and she's in many pieces), in the original cartoon, the death of the famed ship and her crew was shown in the prologue to the series; as the Yamamoto is sinking, US Dauntless dive bombers are flying overhead and one pilot is seen saluting the ship as she goes down. This was never aired in the US and I only recently saw in online. I thought to myself, why wasn't this shown, it really helped establish the history and honour that the crew of the rebuilt ship held in esteem, etc.

Into the second season (third never aired) there was a momentous battle at the end and the Argo was involved in a suicide mission (similar to the Yamamoto's last "Ten-Go" operation) and many characters were seen to be killed, but you'd hear in the background such things as, "Sgt. Nox got out just after you!" when it was clear that he sacrificed himself for the ship, etc. It was felt that death was too difficult a topic for children even though unlike G.I Joe, there were never any parachutes from the destroyed fighters, the operators of tanks didn't jump out as the rocket destroyed their vehicles, etc. Now, my favourite character was the squadron leader, Conroy, and in the final episode, it's quite clear that he's flying his fighter back to the argo with blood running down his face and that while determination was shown as well, he was in a good deal of pain. The fighter crashes into the hangar bay and having safely delivered his passengers, he's shown slumped in the cockpit with a lot of blood on the back of his uniform. As the passengers return to the bridge of the ship, the voiceover says, "Conroy just evacuated with the medical ship." Uh, yeah, I may have only been 8 years old, but come on, I wasn't that dumb.

The point I'm trying to make is that kids can handle topics like death. It's a shame that we don't allow it to integrate into the mainstream more often, for it is a part of life and developing a respect for it should help to also develop a respect for life and the enjoyment of such (something that could be argued is showing itself to be less important these days). If the creators of an entertainment medium (movie, book, video game, whatever) want to eliminate characters for the sake of the story, then it's their perogative and should be shown to audiences in order that they can make their own conclusions as to whether they want to continue being a fan, etc. Many fans were upset by the death of the character of Wash in Serenity, but as the creator/director, Joss Whedon said, someone had to go in order to bring home the impact for the story, that any of the others could also die at any time. The fans weren't all on board with this, but it did add to the tension of the movie. Besides, it's not like he couldn't be brought back in flashbacks, or maybe it was all a dream.

How many times are characters resurrected in fiction? This is Harry Potter after all, where ghosts roam freely and the afterlife has already been established. I'm certain it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a resurrection poition. If J.K. wants to kill off the little blighter in order to close this chapter of her life, then let her, mourn the character, remember fondly the good times that you shared  and move on to something else.

+1 to Enzo.

I'd forgotten about Starblazers until you reminded me of it - I used to love watching that just before school.

MM

It is that exact reason I am a huge fan of Japanese animation.  Not cutesy crap, like Hamtaro, but the more gritty stuff. 
In Toronto we used to have several shows.  I particularly recall one Robotech episode, where one of the best loved guys gets taken out, and you see him get killed (Roy?  Blonde guy with the yellow/black fighter with the skull/crossbones).  At the time I was pissed, but then I was really impressed with the integrity of the story writers.  In war, bad things happen and nice guys get killed.  By contrast, at the same time you had GI Joe, where some dude in a super cobra helicopter would get taken out with a sidewinder, a total flaming catastrophic kill, and when the flames died down, buddies uniform wouldn't be ripped, he would pop silk and drift gently to the ground. 
I think insulating kids from reality is a bad idea.  Certainly, I wouldn't sit down with a three year old and watch Starship Troopers (well, not again, anyway)  but I don't think it's a bad idea for kids to learn early "people die". 
If Harry ends up dying, I have to imagine it will be in some sort of glorious, heroic, dragging-Voldimort-into-the-pit-with-him scenario.  He'll be dead, but we will all feel good about his sacrifice.  I don't imagine that it's going to be "As they left the train station, the kids couldn't help but notice that there appeared to be a dead white owl in the alley way.  As they approached, they could see Harry, slumped in his robes with a syringe hanging out of his arm, victim of a hot load.  Quietly, they covered him in his invisibility cloak, went through his pockets, grabbed any good stuff they could, and continued on.  Without a word and only a look, each swore the other to lifelong secrecy.  And to this day, no one still can quite figure out that smell beside the old station". 
I also agree that it is her creation, she can do whatever she wants.  However, I also have to imagine that lobbing out little teasers like that promotes tonnes of free advertising, and will have multitudes of geeks spazzing out in the lines outside of the book stores on release day.

Ah Robotech. The loss of Roy was a tough one, but do you remember Ben? The amiable, somewhat goofy third wheel who Max and Rick kept under their wings. Until... that mission, you know the one, just before the shield was used over Ontario. Max and Rick in their Valkyries made it away, but alas, poor Ben was too slow... And a tear was shed... for Ben. It's right up there with the loss of Biggs.

2 decades later, I still recall the loss of ole Ben, but I'm hardly damaged by it.

As for... Potter... well, I call dibbs on the Marauders Map.  ;D

Enzo said:
Ah Robotech. The loss of Roy was a tough one, but do you remember Ben? The amiable, somewhat goofy third wheel who Max and Rick kept under their wings. Until... that mission, you know the one, just before the shield was used over Ontario. Max and Rick in their Valkyries made it away, but alas, poor Ben was too slow... And a tear was shed... for Ben. It's right up there with the loss of Biggs.

2 decades later, I still recall the loss of ole Ben, but I'm hardly damaged by it.

And ***POOF*** 15 years of therapy is gone.  I had repressed forgotten about Ben.  Ah, well, being in the fetal position is good for the spine.  :p

One of the best fantasy book series I have ever read (and am still reading) is G.R.R. Martins Song of Fire and Ice.  He killed the main protagonist off in the middle of the first book, but had enough depth to the story that the series carried on after his death.  Sometimes killing off a main character isnt the end of the series, or even necessarily a negative thing.  It can add a bit of reality to the story, and bring 2nd rate characters to the forefront.  Im sure there will be Potter books after Potter, no company is going to give up the chance to rip off such a profitable series by getting second rate authors to pump out a dozen cheap novellas and make a good profit.

my 2 cents.

Boromir died, I cried, didn't stop me reading the rest of Lord of the Rings when I was 13, or any of the several thousand books I've read since..... tempest, have you met teacup? teacup, tempest.

Darth Vader: Your powers are weak, old man.

Obi-Wan: You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

As if Rawlings putting down her pen would actually stop Potter fiction from being available:

More HPfanfic than you could ever want to read.

For example:

http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/

Welcome to harrypotterfanfiction.com, the oldest, (and best) unofficial dedicated Harry Potter Fanfiction site on the net. Founded in February 2001, we currently hold over 29,000 stories and receive over 110 million hits per month.

If someone from, oh say, this site were to take my epic Potter novel posted above, and, maybe post it in there, all accidental like, I don't think I'd argue my copyright too strenuously.....I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'.

He killed the main protagonist off in the middle of the first book, but had enough depth to the story that the series carried on after his death.  Sometimes killing off a main character isnt the end of the series, or even necessarily a negative thing. 

I dunno...I recently stopped reading that series....part of reading that kind of fiction is having a recognizeable story line, with heroes and villains...he just seems to have a history of average characters, none of whom achieve any greatness, or make any more progress in their machinations than the guys he covers in the next chapter.  I got to A Feast for Crows and I gave up on the series.  Waiting for a hero to rebuild the wall, or run the kingdom, or fight off the invaders or whatever is just futile.  Basically, it's a World of Warcraft worldview...constant war, by multiple factions, with no right, wrong or progress...and I'm sick of reading them.  Well-written books that lead nowhere get a little wearing after a while.

Valar morghulis

Oh, and it's a Song of Ice and Fire...you got 'er backwards.  :p

I thought that "A Game of Thrones" was one of the best fantasy books going and just finished "A Feast for Crows," the fourth in the series. However, Gunnar does have a point, nothing good seems to come out anything and whenever something gets started the protagonists are betrayed by someone and all is nought. The other thing is having to wait almost five years for the latest book to come out and will have to wait for another year or so for the next book. In the latest book I had a hard time following the story because I had forgotten where most of the locations were and the lack of any detailed maps didn’t help.

Another series that I've been reading is Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. The series is up to twelve freaking books so far, with the each book coming in at  600 pages (only the prequel is less than 600 pages). The books take almost a whole row of shelf space! Haven't read the latest book, but will likely pick it up for some summer time reading. Even though the series has been going on for so long (the first book "Eye of the World" came out in 1990 and no end in sight) I still the books interesting.

Other series I've engaged in reading include Terry Goodkind's series that started with "Wizards First Rule."  I'm a couple of book behind in that series. The same for David Drakes "Lord of the Isles" series.

Another excellent series that I'm reading is Harry Turtledove's alternate history of the United States. The series starts with "How Few Remain" where the Confederacy won the Civil War which results in two States: The United States of America and the Confederate States of America. The series contiues with the "Great War" trilogy, than the "American Empire" trilogy and followed by the "Drive to the East" trilogy.  The whole storyline is about the conflict between the two countries. The series also has a several Canadian characters and locations. Excellent read.

fair dealings, yada yada

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/08/01/people.rowling.reut/index.html

" Two of America's top authors, John Irving and Stephen King, made a plea to J.K. Rowling on Tuesday not to kill the fictional boy wizard Harry Potter in the final book of the series, but Rowling made no promises."

More to the article, but that explains the gist of it.

I dont doubt that King and Irwin has read the books, although i still find it amusing that 2 of the most famous authors made a "plea" to her.

More PR hype.  If this is her last kick at the can for money from an original release of the last instalment, she will want people losing their minds in anticipation (which appeard to be working so far).
I'm calling FAKE

I honestly just don't know why people care so much? I've read all the books and I really don't care if she kills Harry off in the last book. It's the last one, it does need an ending of some sort.  ::)

Back