• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pot-smoking Mountie can't smoke in uniform, RCMP says

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Pot-smoking Mountie can't smoke in uniform, RCMP says

A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer with a medical marijuana prescription thinks he should be able to smoke the drug while in uniform, but the RCMP says he can't smoke marijuana while in red serge or while wearing his regular working uniform.

Cpl. Ronald Francis serves with J Division in New Brunswick, and received a prescription for medical-grade marijuana on Nov. 4.

Francis told CBC News marijuana has helped him to calm down and reduces his PTSD symptoms. His prescription allows for three grams a day, which he estimates to be nine to 15 joints, though he said he doesn’t typically smoke that much.

“I get up in the morning, have my coffee and the marijuana. I go at lunchtime, have a marijuana joint, and then again in the evening. That would be my medical regime. But that may change with my tolerance to THC. It may take two joints in the morning, I don't know," said Francis.

"I'm just building up my immunity to THC levels, if I was to smoke two I'd probably get stoned to the point that I'm just totally relaxed. I'm still functional. But your nervous system is relaxed, and that makes a big difference," he said.

Francis, who is currently assigned to administrative duties, said smoking marijuana has no negative effect on his ability to be a police officer and that he intends to continue smoking on the job.

“There’s no policy in the RCMP that prevents me from smoking marijuana. There’s no policy in the RCMP that says I cannot smoke in public. I have the right to smoke it in my red serge.”

But while the RCMP accepts that Francis’s prescription gives him the right to consume marijuana, the force takes issue with members smoking in public or in uniform.

“Definitely a member that has been prescribed medicinal marijuana should not be in red serge taking his medication,” said RCMP deputy commissioner Gilles Moreau. “It would not be advisable for that member, it would not portray the right message to the general public, it’s definitely not something we would support or condone.”

Moreau said the RCMP has a duty to accommodate members’ medical needs, but also has to consider the effect on other members and on public perceptions.

More at link

My "WTF" reaction to this is not that he has an Rx for medical marijuana and not that he can't smoke it in uniform (but I agree with the RCMP's take on that) but WTF is he still doing in the RCMP?  ???

I am a little curious about his status in the RCMP as well.  I am concerned that he felt the need to dress in serge for his CBC interview and smoke a joint for the cameras.  That is certainly asking for disciplinary action and indicates that the member is past his best before date as a dedicated peace officer.  9 to 15 joints day, I hope he is not carrying!

I'd question anyones ability to reason and make sound judgements, on a desk or in the street, if they are smoking 9-15 joints a day.  I understand he said he's not taking that many but isn't that a bit like our recruiting threads here? My doctor prescribed me anti-depressants but I don't take them all.

Either way smoking pot while in uniform just seems like a bone head thing to try and champion. I'd say the same about a CF member suggesting it.

Roger that The RCMP mbr has a prescription but he has no business doing it in uniform. Its a stretch in my opinion to allow him to smoke up  at home before heading to your desk, as according to his doctor he needs to, but its absolutely ludicrous to allow him to smoke in uniform at work. Yes he is on Admin duties but getting high at work impairs him. What happens if he gets high and then is actually required to do work outside of his office, which is not out of the realm of possibility, and he can't do his job?

And then there's the public perception of him standing outside his detachment smoking a doobie in Uniform.

Just my 2 cents

Teager said:
Careful now there are a lot of soldiers with PTSD still serving and working within the CF. Would you say the same about them? He's working a desk job many police dpeartments have officers that are either trouble makers or injured doing a desk job thats under supervision.

Yes, deliberately wearing full dress while smoking a joint in a media interview, is absolutely unprofessional.  As well the CAF is not a LAW ENFORCEMENT agency.  Last I checked "medicinal marijuanna"  is in a legal grey zone, and marijuanna itself is illegal.  The mixed message this would send to people (smoking in uniform) is unfathomable.

Irrespective of the pharmaceutical in question, in order to perform duties, one will often be given restrictions when taking said medication.  For example, no operating of machinery, no weapons, etc.  It's up to a competant medical authority to list those restrictions, not for an individual to interpret how they apply in their own case. 

Marijuana prescribed?  Why not?  He's not using it for recreational use, but each joint must be pretty small if he's getting 15 out of 3 grams.  I mean, if memory serves me correctly.  (High school was a loooooooooong time ago for me)  :peace:

uh huh........did they roll them like Havanna cigars then too...................or do they still need roach clips towards the end? ;D

For me, it's not the medication but the delivery system.  Doses of THC can be taken through nasal sprays or inhalers or some other method without having to spark one up.  You don't have to worry about stinking the place up and the chance of someone else getting the effects of your second-hand smoke is eliminated too.

If society is going to legitimately recognize THC as being a medicine, it needs to separate it from the social aspect of sitting around in your basement getting stoned and mowing down on Cheetos and Fun'ions.  The difference being metered doses vs smoking a joint.

armourmike said:
Roger that The RCMP mbr has a prescription but he has no business doing it in uniform. Its a stretch in my opinion to allow him to smoke up  at home before heading to your desk, as according to his doctor he needs to, but its absolutely ludicrous to allow him to smoke in uniform at work. Yes he is on Admin duties but getting high at work impairs him. What happens if he gets high and then is actually required to do work outside of his office, which is not out of the realm of possibility, and he can't do his job?

Just my 2 cents

So what do you do about any other officer who happens to be taking anti depressants, or opioid painkillers, or valium, or...or...

There are a myriad of drugs that appear to be acceptable, but when looked at, could also cause mental impairment, but they don't appear to be singled out like this.

Or does this mean no smoking in uniform for anyone at all?  I mean, unlike the cigarette smokers, he's got a prescription...

Teager said:
Careful now there are a lot of soldiers with PTSD still serving and working within the CF. Would you say the same about them? He's working a desk job many police dpeartments have officers that are either trouble makers or injured doing a desk job thats under supervision.

My comment wasn't in regards to the PTSD.  It was regarding the marijuana use (yes, I know it's prescribed).  But hope you got some exercise jumping to that conclusion.

So, what happens when he finishes "building his tolerance" and they give him a weapon?

Regarding the use of medical MJ in the CF, I've been told it won't happen any time soon.*

*If anyone is curious, I was being checked for possible early glaucoma and I joked about being able to smoke pot.  :peace:

recceguy said:
So what do you do about any other officer who happens to be taking anti depressants, or opioid painkillers, or valium, or...or...

There are a myriad of drugs that appear to be acceptable, but when looked at, could also cause mental impairment, but they don't appear to be singled out like this.

He chose to make an issue about smoking in uniform though.  Unless he is simultaneously going to wear a big honking sign that say I have a "Rx for this", the public image of Police Officer, smoking what is basically an illegal drug for the rest of us, is not exactly something that should be encouraged or tolerated.  And as mentioned above, I too have an issue with the concept of smoking a "medication".  If THC is indeed such a wonder compound, then it should be isolated and delivered in manner that allows for controlled-measured dosages.  But of course then it's not as cool to flaunt your medicinal pot.   

Teager said:
I have a friend, who's a member of this forum and is recently released medically.  He was issued a medical chit MJ for pain regulation.  He was told that although he had a chit he wasn't allowed to use it until he was released from the CF.  So for us, it seems even though you "have a tickie, no laundry".

Hatchet Man said:
He chose to make an issue about smoking in uniform though.  Unless he is simultaneously going to wear a big honking sign that say I have a "Rx for this", the public image of Police Officer, smoking what is basically an illegal drug for the rest of us, is not exactly something that should be encouraged or tolerated.  And as mentioned above, I too have an issue with the concept of smoking a "medication".  If THC is indeed such a wonder compound, then it should be isolated and delivered in manner that allows for controlled-measured dosages.  But of course then it's not as cool to flaunt your medicinal pot. 

Cost of dried marijuana plant for smoking (astronomically low) vs cost of isolating the drug in a nasal spray or in pill form or however else it can be done, packaging it, etc?

I am pretty sure THC can still be delivered in measured doses in joints as well. Growers can control the THC content of plants when growing them.

Hatchet Man said:

My post had nothing to do whatsoever with the optics.

It poses a question to those that say he should be on restricted duty for marihuana.

recceguy said:
My post had nothing to do whatsoever with the optics.

It poses a question to those that say he should be on restricted duty for marihuana.

I'd be interested in learning what type of restrictions are placed on employees who take marihuana during working hours.

PMedMoe said:
My comment wasn't in regards to the PTSD.  It was regarding the marijuana use (yes, I know it's prescribed).  But hope you got some exercise jumping to that conclusion.

So, what happens when he finishes "building his tolerance" and they give him a weapon?

Regarding the use of medical MJ in the CF, I've been told it won't happen any time soon.*

*If anyone is curious, I was being checked for possible early glaucoma and I joked about being able to smoke pot.  :peace:

I agree that the RCMP officer should not be smoking in uniform. His employer should be aware of any prescribed medications that affect his ability to do the job he's given. If he can't do the job because of the medication then other options need to be looked at.  I do not support CF members doing it in uniform either. My comments were more directed at the fact you asked why this officer was still in the RCMP?

I would hope that this member is getting other means of help and not just medical marijuana.

Just in CBC NB reports his uniforms were just removed by RCMP. They showed up at his home and took his uniforms. He is to report in civies tomorrow.

Teager said:
My comments were more directed at the fact you asked why this officer was still in the RCMP?

You said it here:

Teager said:
If he can't do the job because of the medication then other options need to be looked at.

Then he probably needs to be medically released (or whatever the equivalent is for the RCMP).

Just my  :2c:

Back