• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

emanthal said:
Doesn't mean you must ship your vehicle. Means if you do, it has to be done through the HGRS contract.

Okay and what does that have to do with renting a vehicle to move your belongings?  Scratch that, I notice you asked about renting a vehicel to move your bike and belongings.

Generally you are on your own to find a place to live.  However, you should contact the IR clerk in OR in Kingston.  He/she may have a list of local places that meet the criteria (IR clerks often do).  I also wouldn't be too quick to discount the availability of single quarters in Kingston, which you must use if suitable and available.

Yes you can ship your motocycle as your PMOV.  You also have the option to drive it and claim mileage as well as meals and accomodations en route.  You can also ship 500 lbs of unaccompanied baggage at public expense (through CMTT).

Pusser said:
Generally you are on your own to find a place to live.  However, you should contact the IR clerk in OR in Kingston.  He/she may have a list of local places that meet the criteria (IR clerks often do).  I also wouldn't be too quick to discount the availability of single quarters in Kingston, which you must use if suitable and available.

Yes you can ship your motocycle as your PMOV.  You also have the option to drive it and claim mileage as well as meals and accomodations en route.  You can also ship 500 lbs of unaccompanied baggage at public expense (through CMTT).

The Kingston Accom page makes it look  unlikley to get single quarters: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/asu_kingston/accommodations/docs/2010/Single_Quarters_Entitlement_Imposed_Restriction_Temp_Relocation_Jul_10.pdf

Trust me,  I would rather ride my bike, but January would not be a preferable time to do it.  ;D

So I've read through the entire thread, and I have some questions as they pertain to my situation.

I'm posting to Esquimalt from Kingston this summer. I'll be driving my vehicle across the country, for which BGRS has told me it takes 10 days. My COS is near the end of May, and I will be sorting out my RFD in the near future. My problem is this: my losing unit is forcing me to take annual leave to drive across the country. I don't think this is right, but I don't know how to prove it. Where can I find references to clarify my situation?

Your losing unit is wrong.  Your travel days are duty.  Ask your unit how exactly they propose that you will be getting per diem while travelling?

Ask to see the chief clerk.

cheeky_monkey said:
So I've read through the entire thread, and I have some questions as they pertain to my situation.

I'm posting to Esquimalt from Kingston this summer. I'll be driving my vehicle across the country, for which BGRS has told me it takes 10 days. My COS is near the end of May, and I will be sorting out my RFD in the near future. My problem is this: my losing unit is forcing me to take annual leave to drive across the country. I don't think this is right, but I don't know how to prove it. Where can I find references to clarify my situation?

Travel days are working days, not annual leave.   

THE CF Leave Policy Manual says that "Special Leave (Relocation) is exclusive of and distinct from the travel time authorized [emphasis mine] for the relocation of members and families between locations" - but I haven't yet laid hands on a reg explicitly saying the travel isn't part of annual leave.  I wonder why they would say you have to take annual.  I agree with SeaKingTacco - ask to see the chief clerk on this one. 

In the meantime, further to MCG's remarks about Special Leave (Relocation) applying differently in various circumstances, and the breakdown of the components (pers admin, HG&E, embarkation, etc.), there are some tables at para "5.11.11 Calculation" that lay out various scenarios - posted overseas, posted to Canada from overseas, restricted posting, etc.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/lea-con/cflpm-mprcfc-eng.asp

And you won't anything saying annual is not part of travel.  Annual is annual and relocation is relocation.  They are two separate things and not interchangeable.  Having said that you may, if you wish, take annual leave in conjunction with your relocation leave. 

As stated  a couple of times here.  Talk to you orderly room. 

I suspect someone has read the new CFTDI and is applying it to a relocation scenario.

Well they seemed to have dropped the topic - I haven't heard anything more about being forced to take leave. If they do start down that road again, I'll know who to talk to. Thanks for the replies!

I wonder if they've compelled any other mbrs to do that in the past, who didn't check into it further at the time.  Anyway, good luck with the rest of your move. 

Wow mate.  Going through my move preps to BC now.  There is no annual leave involved in the move as it is covered by your claim.  What a mess that one could create if something would happen enroute.  The only place you may need to take annual for is if you do an extended HHT that involves additional week days or you want to tack some on to your move.  You have 10 days of travel that is duty not leave (and I am jealous - I only get 9 days as I am about 60k short of crossing the 9500 mark).

You are going ahead of me so feel free to post any route and hotel suggestions.

I searched around but couldn't find anything here on this topic (or on dwan for that matter). Short background: Been in about ten years, took a CEOTP commission a few years back and after about 4 years of career mismanagement (long story), was put on my DP1.1 Course in Feb. I have been posted in Esquimalt as that was my previous place of duty prior to commissioning. Have been doing OJE there and travelling on TD to courses until the day before I left for DP1.1 when I was posted prohibited to Gagetown. Was unsuccessful on DP1.1 and am awaiting a reversion to the ranks.

So my question is how long can they post you prohibited before they move your family? I'm going on 5 months and sadly no clear date in sight for my transfer. I have no problem waiting a while as it is no ones fault but mine that I am in this position but on the other hand I have an autistic son back home and it is pretty tough on my wife and family to here, "Sorry hun, I could be here indefinitely. Two years doesn't seem uncommon".

I am trying to do what I can to speed the process along the canforgen says BPSO appointment with in 30 days of cease training but that passed a while ago and a few more months won't kill me. However, I can't see there being no recourse to being posted away from your family indefinitely. I'm hoping some of you admin types or barracks lawyers can help me out.

Tony Manifold said:
I'm hoping some of you admin types or barracks lawyers can help me out.

I would not take anything from them.....

My suggestion is to contact your CoC and see what the hang up is......

easier said then done. Without speaking out of turn, lets just say I would rather provide them with a possible solution IAW CF regulations than complaints.

I'm going to make some assumptions here, as some of the branches handle untrained officers differently. I assume that you are posted prohibited to the Gagetown BTL -- and while you are legally posted to Gagetown, and your pers file is held there, administrative responsibility for you is probably resting with your branch advisor shop, or possibly one of the DGMC career managers. What you likely need to do is get your local BTL administrator in contact with that shop, and get them to cut a posting message back to BTL Esquimalt. Justification? Needs of the service. Keeping you on Prohibited status costs the military extra money. Reuniting you with your Furniture and Effects doesn't. And there are BPSO in both locations.

This assumes that the final decision has been made that you will not continue as an officer in your current MOC. Whether they permit you to revert to NCO status or give you a release (if, for example, your old trade is overborne), you still have to get back to Esquimalt, either so you can collect your family for your next posting as an NCM, or for release admin.

If that final decision hasn't been made, and you may in fact potentially continue as an army CEOTP officer, there is a good argument to keeping you in Gagetown because that's where the army OJT opportunities are.

Ostrozac said:
I'm going to make some assumptions here ...
That is a bad place to start if you are giving someone advice on career or life decisions.

Ostrozac said:
I assume that you are posted prohibited to the Gagetown BTL ...
Most of the untrained officers in CTC schools are posted to the schools and not to a BTL.  There are exceptions, but this assumption would not be a safe one to make.

Ostrozac said:
... and while you are legally posted to Gagetown, and your pers file is held there, administrative responsibility for you is probably resting with your branch advisor shop, or possibly one of the DGMC career managers.
CTC's G3 Trg Production is the BTL manager for Army officer occupations.  No branch adviser or DGMC CM.

Tony Manifold said:
So my question is how long can they post you prohibited before they move your family?

Do you have DWAN access to research things such as APM-245 and CFAO?
Have you inquired about being sent on OJE in Esquimalt while you wait for your career admin to be sorted?  There is a budget for that, and it will actually save the CF money to put you in a workspace where you are back living with your family.

MCG said:
That is a bad place to start if you are giving someone advice on career or life decisions.
Most of the untrained officers in CTC schools are posted to the schools and not to a BTL.  There are exceptions, but this assumption would not be a safe one to make.
CTC's G3 Trg Production is the BTL manager for Army officer occupations.  No branch adviser or DGMC CM.

Do you have DWAN access to research things such as APM-245 and CFAO?
Have you inquired about being sent on OJE in Esquimalt while you wait for your career admin to be sorted?  There is a budget for that, and it will actually save the CF money to put you in a workspace where you are back living with your family.

APM-25? I'll check that out. As I said, I really like to present a solution that fits with in Army regs rather than just whine " I wanna go home". I figure it costs the army 1500 bucks a month or there about while they still pay me PLD for Esquimalt, so i think it would be best for both me and the army. But references always help. Thanks.

Think of it this way, now you know what a deployment feels like.

its not like I have never been away before and deployments have end dates. if there was an end date I wouldn't be worried.

Back