• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting pics of MPO or MP grads

I see no breast pocket buttons visible on the member front rank furthest to the left (our left)..

Edit: Is that a Navy thing?

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
I see no breast pocket buttons visible on the member front rank furthest to the left (our left)..

Because he's in the Navy.

Yes, they are wearing the wedge.  With the red identifier, which is post grad.  I did wear a beret with my uniform at times, not always a wedge after the service cap was removed from the system in my time in Calgary 20 years ago.  We only wore the wedge for full rig occasions, like parades.  I assume they are wearing their wedges for the photos as they would have received their red identifier at grad and that is a quick and easy mod to the wedge for photo shoots. 

The Navy MPO.  His wearing a beret with his CF's is a no no unless he is a submariner.  I did not notice that before.  Doh!  And me, a sailor... :-[

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, they are wearing the wedge.  With the red identifier, which is post grad.  I did wear a beret with my uniform at times, not always a wedge after the service cap was removed from the system in my time in Calgary 20 years ago.  We only wore the wedge for full rig occasions, like parades.  I assume they are wearing their wedges for the photos as they would have received their red identifier at grad and that is a quick and easy mod to the wedge for photo shoots. 

The Navy MPO.  His wearing a beret with his CF's is a no no unless he is a submariner.  I did not notice that before.  Doh!  And me, a sailor... :-[

I suspect that their "correct" head dress had already been modified as required for wear post-parade so they had to wear something. However, berets are not authorized with RCAF DEU 1A and, as far as i can recall, the red beret is not authorized for RCAF members in any order of dress.

CDN Aviator said:
I suspect that their "correct" head dress had already been modified as required for wear post-parade so they had to wear something. However, berets are not authorized with RCAF DEU 1A and, as far as i can recall, the red beret is not authorized for RCAF members in any order of dress.

Aviator from 265........

Military Police Personnel. Only army
members of the Military Police Branch shall
wear the scarlet beret (or turban) with all
orders of dress which authorize the wearing
of a beret, except when a different headdress
is ordered to suit the circumstances of duty
or weather. See Chapter 7.

Air force military police shall wear a scarlet
band/ribbon on their cap/hat/turban service
dress, a scarlet flash in the front of their
wedge caps showing 1 cm (1/4 in.), and a
scarlet cloth backing to their cap badges on
the beret, see Chapter 7.

CDN Aviator said:

The Brigade Commander said from on high that all his MP would wear a red beret.  So, we did Army, AF and Navy while in combats or garrison dress.  I have not been wearing AF blue since the 90's so am out of touch with current regs.  As I recall only on Nov 11 could you wear a beret and that was a UN blue only otherwise was wedge after the cap went away.  But for Navy folks, the only ones who get away with beret and CF are submariners.  Otherwise it's a no no.

Yes, the red identifiers for the wedges are already made up, you placed them in back of the blue flap that is already there.  We were handed them along with a red band for the service caps and our credentials at the same time.  Took all of 5 seconds to place it in the wedge.

We are getting way off topic here but: I thought I remembered something a few years back where the PM had asked/ordered one standard for epaulettes (MP/PM) and red beret for all?

Edit: typo

For the NCO's in the crowd, I'll add these pics.  This was a relatively "fresh" class I believe still newer to their MP course; the grad ceremony was roughly summer of 2011.  For those noticing the air type with the red beret, he wasn't part of this 2011 grad class or he wouldn't have been wearing the red beret.  None of the MPO grads knew who this fellow was; he appeared out of the "blue," attended the ceremony then disappeared back into the "blue."  I'm assuming he graduated earlier and for some reason couldn't attend it but wanted to attend one (my guess).

I was trying to shoot without flash and for the photography minded, its a tough place to shoot as the light is pouring in through the doors and windows playing havoc with dynamic range and contrast.

IMG_2442.JPG

Another:

IMG_2446.JPG

And this is a family friend, daughter and father, and grandfather - all from Whitehorse.  I was born in Whitehorse back when Jesus was in diapers to a military family, mother Air Force and father Army.  My mother was a corporal (had to leave when she married my father) in signals during the war and my father was posted there after the war; I am not related to this family, we just got to know each other over all the grads we attended....lol!

IMG_2553.JPG

Thanks for letting me share.

CDN Aviator said:
Red berets had been authorized for DEU 3*, without the Dress Manual being updated, but never for DEU 1A.  It has happened though, with people thinking DEU 1A must be the same as DEU 3*, it's the same basic uniform after all, right?, including by a Col at the CF MP Gp stand-up parade.

We've already been given the heads up that the Dress Committee has rescinded this and red berets will no longer be authorized in DEU 3*.

rsn48:  Thanks for sharing.

Nice to see some guys with great military experience in other trades remaining in the forces and taking up policing the force. BZ guys. You'll bring a lot of knowledge from the regiments that will help your police work I'm certain!

uncle-midget-Oddball said:

Edit: Is that a Navy thing?

My tunic also has no buttons for pockets on the front (I'm army); that's because my ass is OLD ... and I still wear my original from before the powers that be changed our uniforms to try to make us gals look more like boys.

;)

ArmyVern said:
My tunic also has no buttons for pockets on the front (I'm army); that's because my *** is OLD ... and I still wear my original from before the powers that be changed our uniforms to try to make us gals look more like boys.

;)
Wow a suppy that doesn't have 5 of every thing new!

rsn48:

Thank you for posting these pictures. They are a great motivator for some of us blokes who are waiting to be enrolled.

On a side note - you must be such a proud parent!

All the best to your son/ daughter.

Cheers,

AGB.

Glad you enjoyed and motivational was part of my intent, and parent's bragging rights as well; and yes I am proud, very proud.  I'm from a long line that goes back generations of those who have served in the military.  One of my great......grandfathers actually served for the North in the Civil War, losing two fingers in some famous battle that escapes me right now.  My grandfather on my father's side took a bullet at the Battle of the Somme and had permanent hole through his shoulder area, losing one lung for life.

The very first photo in the series kind of summed it up for me and was serendipitous in its location, a picture of MPO's (could have easily been MP's) with a sign behind -  "Join Us."

Stacked said:
I recognize the guy on the far right.  He's an NCI Op now I believe. (Or one of the Operator trades)

Nope...wrong guy, he's still an MP based out of Ottawa right now.

In response to the original post, I had the same worries about my brother's MP grad pictures. I did end up putting them on facebook, but set the privacy settings on the photo album so only family members could see them so no one got cranky.

rsn48 said:
Top three candidates:

FYI, those were not the top three candidates. They were the top 3rd, 4th, and 5th candidates respectively and were assigned platoon commander positions for the grad ceremony.

Cheers

Back