• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post Deployment Reintergration

RaDaR_Gunner

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey anyone out there come back from operation and find it hard to adjust to the rut of regimental life?  Ive been to all the seminars and heard all the stories of what to expect when you get back, but none of it has seem to be true.  There was no slow re intergration, just thrown right back into the breach.  Any advice?

Keep your head up, stay in touch with brothers in arms, and don't rush it.  It takes time.

Did you not get a bunch of leave once back in Canada?  Its easier if your around guys that you were over with regardless of the tempo.  Not sure who you work with but in BN its good in the sense that at least for awhile most of the guys are around.

We always preach train how you fight, but we don't.
The big joke is TRAIN HOW YOU WOULD FIGHT! Except this this that and the other thing.
There is a big disconnect between how we work in Canada and overseas. Maybe we should look at behaving in Canada a little more how we behave overseas.

+1 PPLCI Guy.
And don't forget to keep your family in the loop too.  We can help if only just to listen.

The hardest thing is finding a routine.  Our new CO after the tour has done the best he can, and over achieved in many areas in his attempt to get us a routine, so well done to him.  But there will always be tasks and the such coming down from outside the unit.  I personally find work now far less challenging that overseas, and that is where I have my issues.  Finding something that challenges you is the dream we are all after.  Perhaps that is why so many of us want to go back over as soon as possible.  Hang in there, and good luck finding that routine and challenge. You'll make it, no worries.

I have been home for almost 5 months now, and I seem to miss that place more and more everyday. While I was there I hated some aspects , and could not wait to get home. Now that I'm home, I feel like a part of me is still there..
While I was overseas, I was "that guy", or "the big man" you know, now I'm just some reservist who wears the uniform every now and then.
I'm sure once my CT goes through it will be a lot different though. 

J-Swift said:
I have been home for almost 5 months now, and I seem to miss that place more and more everyday. While I was there I hated some aspects , and could not wait to get home. Now that I'm home, I feel like a part of me is still there..
While I was overseas, I was "that guy", or "the big man" you know, now I'm just some reservist who wears the uniform every now and then.
I'm sure once my CT goes through it will be a lot different though. 

Only partly.....the camaraderie you experienced will come back only partly....it was a high, only we don't recognize it at the time. There is little in everyday civilian/military life to replicate it.  I think it was Jackie Gleason who quoted that "life is better remembered than lived".
Don't sweat it ......like everybody is telling you, it takes time.

Its not the time on leave after you get back that is tough, it is getting back to work once you are done leave.

I found that compared to what goes on while you are on tour, working back at home station feels like you are always spinning your wheels, trying to make do with not enough of anything until tomorrow. And then tomorrow is the same damn thing....

RaDaR_Gunner said:
There was no slow re intergration, just thrown right back into the breach.  Any advice?

So what your saying I guess is that after leave you came back to be thrown on course or supporing something in some far off training area in canada?Or right on Ex?

I think thats what your trying to get at right?

Unless a person is thrown a big carrot, it is important to stick to the policy - no away from home or overnight taskings during the prescribed period.  If you allow yourself to be thrown back into the breach without the same motivation, intensity, importance you will regret it. 

I have watched some excellent soldiers go from deployment and be 'forced'/enticed onto a course or tasking by signing a waiver only to perform poorly, or be distracted or act ornery while away from home.  As hard as it may be to avoid the forced/enticed state, you should try to stick to it.  I know it is easier said than done, but research led to the policy. 

Generally, it is the leadership (the system) that rejects/ignores the policy and entices/forces people to sign the waiver to the detriment of the soldier and his future.  Short term pain, long term gain.

Back