• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Possible Return of 2nd Canadian Division as Reserve Upper-Level HQ

ArmyRick said:
Nah, never mind, 2 CMBG is split between Pet and Gagetown, it would get too confusing.

And your plan is more confusing how?......

Brihard said:
OK, just looking at this with little reflection- Realistically, each brigade, for the purpose of DOMOPS, summer brigade or area exercises, etc, tends to force generate a light infantry battalion. That, at least, has seemed to be the case in Ontario, and the Territorial Battalion Group seems to be slowly, awkwardly and painfully formalizing this. We have ten CBGs currently nationwide. Creating a reserve division with three reserve brigades, each of three infantry battalions plus atts and support would give us a realistic capability of FGing nine light infantry battalions based simply on who shows up, with substantially greater turnout if Order in Council compelled reserve callup. With the existing brigade structure most of the supporting arms exist in at least reasonable strength and with at least a portion of the necessary equipment.

We face, of course, that awkward and nefarious question of 'WTF does reserve armoured recce do?', but a deliberate reroling into tasks such as mobile force protection etc whilst remaining some mounted recce capabilities would not seem to be unreasonable. The RCA and Engineers naturally speak for themselves as brigade assets, and the service battalions and sigs regiments are already part of the existing CBG structure, and could augment the echelons of the light infantry formations, form the Bde HQ & Sigs, and on an ad hoc basis form the other CSS elements necessary.

Not that any of this would be *pretty*, but it appears rational.

Challenges: The regimental system. We in the reserves are extremely prickly about identity. Tactical groupings would need to be expanded and formalized. Regiments would need to be brute forced - based on proven force generation capability - to FG a specific portion of the composite. From my very low level view, again the TBGs seem to be accomplishing this already. Not every unit frankyl justifies a LCo commanding it. When the Fort Francis Foreskin Fusiliers parade a platoon and a half on Thursday nights, they ought to be sharing a CO and regimental HQ with the Queen's Own McKamikaze Highlanders and the Royal Regiment of Goatsherds in the next couple towns down the highway. Some regiments are successfully manning and administering multiple garrisons; if a number of currently independent units are administrative amalgamated into a battalion in such a manner, that just makes sense Units such as the Hast & PER and the R Nfld R give us ample opportunity to capture lessons on how this should best work. We should accept that under a rational structure some regimental identities ought to be perpetuated by companies rather than paper battalions. I do not see that such questions as colours, battle honours, and perpetuation ought to stand in the way of formations that simply make good bloody sense.

Of course, the big question at the end of the day is whether this is a matter of administrative streamlining, saving PYs and the like, or whether this is a force that in its established structure would be intended and expected to be called up partially or wholly. Ontario providing the cleanest example with our convenient three CBGs, I'd say that yes this could be a reasonable approach, at least for DOMOPS. Nothing jumps out at me as "This is f'ing stupid!" But I've been well above my pay grade since about the second sentence of this, so I'll leave it at that. ;)

Re-organize the existing 10 CBG's into 3 actual Canadian Reserve Brigade Groups as indicated above.  The current LF Area HQ's have both a Reg Force BGen and a Res Force BGen if I'm not mistaken.  Move the Reg Force BGen to command the CMBG and the Res Force BGen to command the new Reserve Brigade Group.  This new CRBG HQ is the liaison with the provinces for Domestic Ops and allows the CMBG to focus on expeditionary operations.

3 x Canadian Reserve Brigade Groups - Western (LFWA), Central (LFCA) & Eastern (LFQA & LFAA)
- Brigade Headquarters (formerly Area HQ)
- 3 x Canadian Territorial Battalion Group (former CBGs)
- Arctic Response Battalion Group (1 ARGC from each former CBG & a Canadian Ranger Patrol Group)

Canadian Territorial Battalion Group (former CBG)
- Battalion HQ (former CBG HQ)
- Command Support Squadron (signal troop, military intelligence platoon, military police platoon)
- 4 x Rifle Companies (maintaining the regimental identity of 4 infantry regiments)
- Armoured Squadron (armoured regiment identity)
- Field Artillery Battery
- Combat Engineer Squadron
- Service Company
- Field Ambulance Platoon

Canadian Arctic Response Battalion
- Battalion Headquarters
- Arctic Response Company Group from each former CBG (companies can fill this role on a rotational basis with companies in their respective CTBG)
- Canadian Ranger Patrol Group

The Australian Army uses the two division Regular/Reserve organization.  Granted, the geography of Australia is a little smaller than Canada.  But the Reserve 2nd Division still controls 6 Reserve brigades.

1st Australian Division (Regular)
- Division Headquarters & Signal Regiment
- 3  Multi-Role Brigade Groups (2 infantry battalions)

2nd Australian Division (Reserve)
- 6 Reserve Brigade Groups (2 infantry battalions)

Mountie said:
The Australian Army uses the two division Regular/Reserve organization.  Granted, the geography of Australia is a little smaller than Canada.  But the Reserve 2nd Division still controls 6 Reserve brigades.

1st Australian Division (Regular)
- 3  Multi-Role Brigade Groups (2 infantry battalions)

2nd Australian Division (Reserve)
- 6 Reserve Brigade Groups (2 infantry battalions)

For years we've been slowly hacking away at the walls of disparity and difference between the Regs and Reserves. Now that the war is effectively over, there seems to be a feeling that the wall is thickening once again. Especially as both components struggle with how to survive the budget cuts, which seem to be pointed at the coal face vice the front office.

I believe, forming two new orgs as Australia has, will only serve to further the growing gap, as each tries to pull in and consolidate it's own assets like a protective mother hen with her chicks.

The Australian Army also has a Regular/Reserve pairing of brigades.  Each of the three brigades, which are re-forming to Multi-Role Brigades.  Each Regular Multi-Role Brigade is paired with two Reserve Brigades.  So although they report to separate division headquarters they have a Regular/Reserve integration.  Just because they report to a different division headquarters doesn't mean there will be a divide between Regular and Reserve.

Mountie said:
The Australian Army also has a Regular/Reserve pairing of brigades.  Each of the three brigades, which are re-forming to Multi-Role Brigades.  Each Regular Multi-Role Brigade is paired with two Reserve Brigades.  So although they report to separate division headquarters they have a Regular/Reserve integration.  Just because they report to a different division headquarters doesn't mean there will be a divide between Regular and Reserve.

I don't know what the Aussie system is like, but as a former Reg Force, now reservist, I can see that divide starting.

There are enough challenges as it is trying to keep Reserve Brigade HQs properly manned without adding yet another layer of HQ to train/staff/maintain.

I can see the LFC HQs being renamed "Divisions" (after all, that's what they are) but I see no appetite to split off the CBGs to a new HQ.

The order of the day is the consolidation of HQs (thank Lob) not fragmentation.

DG

Back