• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Political Correctness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
New - Headdress controversy points to bigger problems, First Nations educator says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-school-headdress-lajoie-1.3741254

"I'm slightly concerned that people who don't understand how this is offensive are then going to teach children about Indigenous people."

I'm one of these "people". I just don't understand how this is offensive. If my kids were learning about Germany in school, and the teacher decided to wear Lederhosen, would that be offensive? If they were learning about Japanese culture, would a Kimono be offensive? What about a sari? Or Highland dress?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm legitimately ignorant; I just don't see how this was offensive.

Care to shed some light, Lightguns?

Concur, the progressive bandwagon is sounding Taps again.  But this story, the alarmed individuals who started it are an example of why our society is degrading.  The PC folks got their names in the news and are going to get their pound of flesh as well. 

Lightguns said:
Concur, the progressive bandwagon is sounding Taps again.  But this story, the alarmed individuals who started it are an example of why our society is degrading.  The PC folks got their names in the news and are going to get their pound of flesh as well.

Judging purely on the article and its pictures, maybe the concern is the eagle feathers?  This is going back a while, but I thought those were awarded for bravery/courage?  So yes, it's a part of headdress, but would it not be almost like a less-extreme form of Stolen Valour?

Some context I guess:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/behind-first-nations-headdresses-1.3506224

So it seems, headdress is earned or gifted.

People are upset the way we get upset when people who haven't earned medals or the right to wear our uniform do that.  I look at it from that context.

Offensive?  maybe to some, certainly inappropriate. 

The headdress in question is not even a part of Eastern woodland Native culture.  It's a device of plains natives.  It's like Scots complaining about the English playing Scottish bagpipes.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Lightguns said:
The headdress in question is not even a part of Eastern woodland Native culture.  It's a device of plains natives.  It's like Scots complaining about the English playing Scottish bagpipes.
It could also be like a Canadian complaining about another Canadian wearing a foreign, but un-earned, medal on a uniform -- where the medal comes from doesn't matter as much as the "unearned honour" element.

Agree, but if the kids wore paper VCs on Remembrance Day, would you melt down? 

Lightguns said:

Considering that it was likely bought at the dollar store, it does have some semblance to certain Eastern headdress.  Mikmac, Ojibwa and some Algonquin. and even if it isn't then maybe the teacher should educate herself a bit more if she's going to teach something.

Still innapropriate. 

There's no shortage of items a person might wear that have some sort of cultural significance to some group, and no list of the subset of those items which should not be worn.

Do real cowpokes have a point if they demand all non-cowpokes cease wearing western garb meant to convey the image of a cowpoke?

Should a reasonable person assume faux-lumberjack is insulting to people who do work in the wilds?

Is any use of a cross or fish, or humorous modification of either, taboo to all non-Christians?

As long as the Teacher isn't trying to pass themself off as "xxx" and is just wearing a costume or piece thereof from "xxx" for educational purposes and is being respectful,  it's no different than a re-enactor or actor playing a role in costume.  Special interest groups and folks need to be less thin skinned, not everyone is out to get them culturally.

Lightguns said:
Agree, but if the kids wore paper VCs on Remembrance Day, would you melt down? 
Good point.  Me?  Not so much.  Others' mileage may vary, though.

jollyjacktar said:
,  it's no different than a re-enactor or actor playing a role in costume. 

Like finding out Iron Eyes Cody wasn't * , or that James Caan aka Sonny C. isn't actually Italian?

* Native American name controversy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_name_controversy#.22Indian.22_and_.22American_Indian.22_.28since_1492.29

Brad Sallows said:
Do real cowpokes have a point if they demand all non-cowpokes cease wearing western garb meant to convey the image of a cowpoke?

"This wasn't in the brochure!"

"City folk!"  :)

Attachments

• maxresdefault11.jpg
    maxresdefault11.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 376
milnews.ca said:
Good point.  Me?  Not so much.  Others' mileage may vary, though.
Concur, thus the outrage.  First Nations have a numbers of issues to conquer but paper cut outs ain't one of them.  Now I am off to mount a scope on an inline, 60 days to deer season.

jollyjacktar said:
As long as the Teacher isn't trying to pass themself off as "xxx" and is just wearing a costume or piece thereof from "xxx" for educational purposes and is being respectful,  it's no different than a re-enactor or actor playing a role in costume.  Special interest groups and folks need to be less thin skinned, not everyone is out to get them culturally.

I think part of the problem that some may have is that not all native cultures wear the same garments. So a, presumably white, person wearing the wrong native garb would be akin to a native teaching a class on German culture wearing a kilt and being like, "who cares? You're all the same" We tend to group all natives together in spite of cultural and linguistic differences.

On the flip side, if the teacher's heart was in the right place than it really shouldn't be a huge deal. could be used as more of a teaching experience than a cultural appropriate one.

Lightguns said:
Concur, thus the outrage.  First Nations have a numbers of issues to conquer but paper cut outs ain't one of them.  Now I am off to mount a scope on an inline, 60 days to deer season.

Agreed.  I would suggest that proper education for Canadians about Aboriginal history, culture etc. is one of those issue to conquer though.

First Nations aren't exactly promoting themselves very well in the social spotlight. Shouldn't they appreciate these kids are being introduced to something interesting fun and cultural (even if it's not 100% accurate) rather than what they'll probably pick up on in the news about whats going on in reservations?

I'm pretty sure I've seen plastic toy police badges and military medals.  The in thing is to go around being offended and outraged, we must be getting close to remembrance day.

It would appear she is a bit of a rabble rouser.......

".....It’s not the first time Dorner has complained about activities at the school....."

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/inappropriate-indigenous-costumes-worn-by-teachers-at-montreal-area-school-raise-parents-ire

Cheers
Larry

The ENTIRE point of Political Correctness is to promote self censorship and to take various ideas off the table of discussion in the public forum. This is far softer and gentler than using Newspeak and a ruthless Thought Police as described in 1984, but equally pernicious and sadly quite effective.

Want to stop a discussion on a topic? Call the speaker "racist" or accuse them of "xxxphobia". Unless they are totally fearless, have massive internal resources to survive political, social and even economic attack on their person or are card carrying members of the "alt-right" (who's watchwords are "bring it" and brush off accusations of racism and xxxpjobia with "I don't care" and continue speaking), most polite and normal people will stop for fear of being thought of as racist/phobic etc. or the fear of facing reprisals socially and at work.

Sad to say that it takes a man like Donald Trump to smash the walls of Political Correctness or some of the foaming mouthed members of the Alt Right to carry the banner of free speech, but it also shows how deeply entrenched the idea has become, and how much "firepower" it will need to overthrow the idea of PC censorship of speech, thought and ideas in our culture and society.

Seriously?  This is really BS.  Political Correctness will mean the death of us yet.  The Ontario Liberals are proving themselves to be wack jobs out destroy the province.  Don't take this as being Islamophobic, but more a question of wtf are they thinking and what consideration have they given to other religions, ethnic minorities, etc. and where will it all stop?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

October declared Islamic Heritage Month in Ontario

The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:44PM EDT

TORONTO -- October will now officially be recognized as Islamic Heritage Month in Ontario after the legislature unanimously passed an act Thursday.

It began as an NDP private members' bill, and party leader Andrea Horwath says it's an opportunity to celebrate and learn about the history of Islamic culture.

Horwath says she also hopes it's also a step toward eliminating Islamophobia, noting that in her city of Hamilton, a fire was set at a mosque recently.

Canadian Islamic History Month has been officially recognized federally since 2007.
Fareen Khan, with the International Development and Relief Organization, joined Horwath at the legislature and says it's important to profile and highlight the positive contributions of Muslims.

The news comes as Mirza Masroor Ahmad, the current and fifth caliph and leader of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, is slated to be in Toronto on Friday for a three-day Islamic convention.

He'll deliver a sermon to thousands of attendees representing more than 20 countries, and to Muslims worldwide via the global satellite TV network Muslim Television Ahmadiyya.

More on LINK.

There are only twelve (12) months in a year.  There are far more than twelve (12) religions practiced in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back