• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Political Correctness Gone Astray

Rodahn

Inactive
Reaction score
There was an article on the news tonight that has the locals up in arms (sorry can't provide the link at the moment) due to people being upset by grade schoolers supporting a charity because it has religous affiliations. In my opinion we have gone to the extreme when children become pawns in (in my opinion) an asinine game that teaching them that due to "religion" one should not consider giving of ones time, funds, or effort.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I realize that we all have differing views,  but when grade schoolers become a news item due to people saying this isn't right when a class project tries to teach them to give unto others, for religious reasons or because it's church oriented I get irked.....

P.S. To the Mods, if this isn't the forum for this , please move it.......

Without specifics this is too vague to comment on. There certainly are some charities it would not be appropriate to support as part of a school project.

I did a google search,  I couldn't find the article you're talking about.  So without knowing any of the facts of the story or even what the story is about or the topic being discussed ... I'll throw my two cents in:

Children are compelled to attend school.  They don't have a choice,  they must go.  Because the Government forces them to go, the government is responsible to ensure their rights are respected.  The charity work we did in my elementary school,  was obligatory. 

If students are forced to support a charity that was religious in nature,  it would be unethical in a few ways.

Firstly, it would be providing $$ to a select group of people and therefore advancing one point of view over the other. (If the charity is Bibles for Africa or food for the homeless, where they get a sermon with their bread)

Secondly, it could expose the children to points of view their parents may not want.  Is the charity to pay for female circumcision?

I could go on,  but I know if I do I'll bring up "faith based" funding in America

Zell_Dietrich said:
If students are forced to support a charity that was religious in nature,  it would be unethical in a few ways.

Are they actually being forced, or is this a class project that they do not have to participate in?

PMedMoe said:
Are they actually being forced, or is this a class project that they do not have to participate in?

Unknown as to whether they are being forced or not, there is no link to the story on the website. Mind you it could also be biased reporting. My original rant was based upon the way it was presented last night.

Back