• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM's speech in Australia

Bigrex

Inactive
Reaction score
The speech itself was good, he said some good things, but why would he use a bilingual speech when addressing a uni-lingual country, they do not have translators present, so they are missing out on parts of his speech. Yes, in Canada, speak both official languages, we have the means to quickly translate either language, but he has to use his head when addressing other countries. It would be like someone coming to Canada and speaking Russian or Spanish, we would have no clue what was being said. It would be understandable if he only spoke French, but he doesn't, he is primarily english, so therefor it was a stupid move on his part, just to please the francophones back home.  Another sign that he is more interested in politicking and gaining votes than just strickly doing his job.

We get it Rex, you dont like Harper.

But quit picking flys**t out of pepper already.

Actually, I would have the same issue with any politician speaking on behalf of our country. If I was listening to a person and all of a sudden they started talking in a language they knew I didn't understand, I would be pissed, and no longer cared what they were trying to say. It just shows a touch of disrespect, in my eyes, no matter who does it. My dislike of Harper may affect how I see some things, but not all things

As far as the pepper comment , good one. never heard that one before.

Bigrex said:

You lead a pretty sheltered life then.

Bigrex said:
The speech itself was good, he said some good things, but why would he use a bilingual speech when addressing a uni-lingual country, they do not have translators present, so they are missing out on parts of his speech. Yes, in Canada, speak both official languages, we have the means to quickly translate either language, but he has to use his head when addressing other countries. It would be like someone coming to Canada and speaking Russian or Spanish, we would have no clue what was being said. It would be understandable if he only spoke French, but he doesn't, he is primarily english, so therefor it was a stupid move on his part, just to please the francophones back home.  Another sign that he is more interested in politicking and gaining votes than just strickly doing his job.
Bigrex said:
Actually, I would have the same issue with any politician speaking on behalf of our country. If I was listening to a person and all of a sudden they started talking in a language they knew I didn't understand, I would be pissed, and no longer cared what they were trying to say. It just shows a touch of disrespect, in my eyes, no matter who does it. My dislike of Harper may affect how I see some things, but not all things
I've seen lots of foriegn visitors and politicians come to Canada and address various populations. Many spoke no english, just their mother tongue. When watched electronically, it was translated. I'm sure the same was done for Harper. As for whether it was disrespectful or not, I'm sure the people whose job it is to sort out these things were following protocol, and are better versed on international affairs than you are. What he was saying, was also of interest and benefit to our own nation, the one with two official languages.

As far as Australia being unilingual. Officially, maybe. However, they are far more cosmopolitan than you're giving them credit for.

Bigrex said:
My dislike of Harper may affect how I see some things, but not all things.

There is no doubt in anyone's mind, and it goes without saying.

recceguy said:
I've seen lots of foriegn visitors and politicians come to Canada and address various populations. Many spoke no english, just their mother tongue. When watched electronically, it was translated. I'm sure the same was done for Harper. As for whether it was disrespectful or not, I'm sure the people whose job it is to sort out these things were following protocol, and are better versed on international affairs than you are. What he was saying, was also of interest and benefit to our own nation, the one with two official languages.

Like I said. Any politician who didn't speak English is fine, then he would have no choice but to speak French and rely on a translator to do their job, but it wasn't necessary. And how would it help International affairs to speak a different language than your host when not required, it would not make any sense. As far as francophone's back home, they would be watching it on a French channel, where the whole speech would have been translated for them, just as those French parts were translated for the English watching, but it seems like an unnecessary step.

As far as being them more cosmopolitan, they are, just not french.

From Wikipedia 
"English is the only language spoken in the home for around 80% of the population. The next most common languages spoken at home are Chinese (2.1%), Italian (1.9%) and Greek (1.4%)."

The Aussies would probably have as much trouble listening to Harper in french, as they would with Dion, or Chrétien, speaking english. At least Harper is translatable.

Bigrex said:

I suppose 'Making a mountain out of a mole hill' would be another that's slipped by you.

this site needs a woodshed, or is that what the neg side of the score thingy means?
That would be handier than a pocket on a shirt!

I've seen lots of foriegn visitors and politicians come to Canada and address various populations. Suppose you were with Johnny C when he was out consultin with the homeless?

It's fairly simple.

Everyone deserves a sound bite on the news. The PM highlights certain points in French so that SRC (et al) can have a live 'bite' for the news.

Unlike some other public figures, who start a point in English, elaborate on it in French and finish in English (or something to that affect); I've noticed the Mr Harper tends to say something and then repeat it in French. Rather annoying to be bilingual and listen to one of his speeches...  but he does get the message across in both Official Languages.

Upshot, he was not delivering a speech to (just) the Australian Parliament, but to Canada as well, as is his custom....

I watched the PM deliver his speech in its entirety, and he repeated everything he said in both French and English, therefore no one is "missing out on parts."  Furthermore, the speech seemed to be very well received.  Harper is doing a fine job representing Canada abroad.

I havent seen it, we disconnected our television from the satellite nearly three years ago, and we dont miss it at all.

Gone are the days that I felt like putting a bag over my head when a Canadian PM spoke publicly overseas!

:cdn: :salute:

As for him speaking French in his address to the Australian Parliament...his speech was as much for us back home as it was for our Aussie cousins.  And it is nice to see him saying the same thing in English that he says in French...much different from his predecessors.

RangerRay said:
Gone are the days that I felt like putting a bag over my head when a Canadian PM spoke publicly overseas!

:cdn: :salute:

I'll raise my glass as well.

Back