• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM Names Canada's representative to the Diamond Jubilee Trust

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I, for one, admire the PM's open-mindedness and trusting nature re:  the choice of who'll be helping watch over the money - highlights mine:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the appointment of the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien as Canada’s representative to The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust.  Established to honour Her Majesty’s 60-year reign, the Diamond Jubilee Trust will raise funds to support a variety of charitable initiatives across the Commonwealth.

The Diamond Jubilee Trust is chaired by Sir John Major, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and will be managed by a board of trustees.  A Commonwealth Advisory Group is currently being established and Mr. Chrétien will serve as the Canadian representative. 

“Former Prime Minister Chrétien is uniquely qualified to serve as Canada’s representative to the Diamond Jubilee Trust.  Mr. Chrétien is a member of the Queen’s prestigious Order of Merit. His relationship with Her Majesty, which spans over 40 years, includes six official Royal Tours he hosted during his time as Prime Minister,” said Prime Minister Harper.  “The Diamond Jubilee Trust is a fitting tribute to Her Majesty’s dedicated service to Canada and the Commonwealth.  I would like to thank former Prime Minister Chrétien for representing Canada in this worthy charitable initiative.”

The Diamond Jubilee Trust was launched on February 6, 2012, to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty’s Accession to the Throne.  The Trust will focus on Commonwealth priorities such as combatting curable diseases and promoting education and culture.  The Trust will be funded by governments, individuals, organizations and the private sector, and will invest in projects that seek to make a real and enduring difference in people’s lives throughout the Commonwealth ....
PMO Info-machine, 30 Apr 12
Queen's Diamond Jubilee golf balls anyone?  ;)

I guess I can stop waiting for a phone call then. :'(

Keep your friends close, and your enema's closer?

Jean Chrétien really has no dog in the present parliament's issues and is effectively neutered .....good choice...

GAP said:
Jean Chrétien really has no dog in the present parliament's issues and is effectively neutered
True, but the history with money is admittedly a bit.... dicey

milnews.ca said:
True, but the history with money is admittedly a bit.... dicey

He can't afford to do anything untoward......it only reflects back on the Liberals.....Harper is clean....

He was also the PM the last time Charles and Camila came to Canada, makes sense that he would host them again as an envoy. That, and politically it makes sense because any costs associated with the visit are going to look like they came from Chretien and the Liberals.

It must be my dark humour -- tying someone from Quebec to anything involving the Monarchy.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
It must be my dark humour -- tying someone from Quebec to anything involving the Monarchy.  :nod:

Oh, come on.  They've got the Dalai Lama on their side, why not The Queen, too?    ;)

ArmyVern said:
Simply Freudian??

;D
Ah no I think I typed that for a reason, but for the life of me I can't think why. ;D

Journeyman said:
Ah, THERE's the "gotcha"!

Well, interesting to see (at least) the (partial) rehabilitation of Jean Chretien among at least some Army.ca folks.

milnews.ca said:
Well, interesting to see (at least) the (partial) rehabilitation of Jean Chretien among at least some Army.ca folks.
If you're including me, it's more a case of absent enthusiasm for anything relating to the Diamond Jubilee.  ;)

Journeyman said:
If you're including me, it's more a case of absent enthusiasm for anything relating to the Diamond Jubilee.  ;)
Spiced up with some trauma sustained from hitting your head against a wall maybe?  Or whiplash from shaking your head so hard, so often?

Journeyman said:
Your just upset you missed the Coronation Metal by one day. thus ruining a full set.

milnews.ca said:
Spiced up with some trauma sustained from hitting your head against a wall maybe?  Or whiplash from shaking your head so hard, so often?
      :nod:

my72jeep said:
Your just upset you missed the Coronation Metal by one day. thus ruining a full set.
Oh, I'm sure eBay has some commemorative china and cutlery that would be equally cherished.

I still can't get Dalton Camp's description out of my mind...

Journeyman said:
Oh, I'm sure eBay has some commemorative china and cutlery that would be equally cherished.

Pffffft. Clean conduct sheet is also a requirement remember??

The only china you'll be getting in commemoration is more akin to the Royal Chinette avail here:

Funny, next Lucien Bouchard as Ambassador to the Court of St James?  Maybe make Gilles Duceppe a Peer?

fraserdw said:
Funny, next Lucien Bouchard as Ambassador to the Court of St James?  Maybe make Gilles Duceppe a Peer?

Both of those would be pretty funny, if you think about it...

Back