• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Plumb Lines for Dressing, Alignment

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Spotted two photos this week, one from China, one from Ukraine, of plumb lines being used to ensure alignment of troops (or bits thereof).

An idea for sergeants major everywhere?

The Mark 1 Eyeball and the traditional pace stick always seemed to work for any SM that I've had or parade I've watched.  I'm pretty sure there is an actual drill movement for doing this too.

MedTech32 said:
The Mark 1 Eyeball and the traditional pace stick always seemed to work for any SM that I've had or parade I've watched.  I'm pretty sure there is an actual drill movement for doing this too.
That's my experience, too - that's why the plumb line caught my eye.

Better delete this before someone at 2RCR sees this and the good idea fairy strikes  >:D

Old EO Tech said:
Better delete this before someone at 2RCR sees this and the good idea fairy strikes  >:D
Maybe, but what the heck do you line up if everyone's a different height?

winnipegoo7 said:
In Ottawa I've seen them use a chalk line at important parades

On most parade squares there are lines painted on the square to assist the RSM in aligning the troops.

Old EO Tech said:

Agree.  ;D

milnews.ca said:
Spotted two photos this week, one from China, one from Ukraine, of plumb lines being used to ensure alignment of troops (or bits thereof).

index.php

An idea for sergeants major everywhere?

The Chinese are getting ready for the 65th anniversary (of the success of the revolution) and more of this ...

x240-oHy.jpg

Beijing Militia marching in the 60th Anniversary parade (2010)

I think I metioned this before, but I watched the entire 60th Anniversary ceremony, hours and hours and hours of it. First Supreme Leader Hu Jintao was driven around in a open car, inspecting the tens of thousamnds of troops ~ he never cracked a smile, not once. Then he and the rest of the to leaders went to the top of Tiananmen (the big gate house) and he stood for more hours, a couple, at least, watching square after massive square (each square was about 900 people, 30 ranks and 30 files, I think) march past ~ again, his solemn expression never changed. Then came the last few squares: the women ...

xin_52210060114540462205610.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

... and Hu Jintao's face broke into a huge smile and he grinned and waved. Maybe it was just relief that it was all over, but I think not.

Back