• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pipers

eduda

Inactive
Reaction score
Seriously looking into signing up with the reserves from a couple prospective trades, one as a piper, second as a medical tech. Many questions though...

How busy are pipers in todays reserves? Job progression/advancement? Potential t earn a decent income? Aside from a practice night every week and the ocasional parade or ceremony, I can't see how a piper would be "training" for an entire weekend a month.

Same questions for the med tech position. Need to commit to one or the other. Just hoping someone from those trades can fill me in.

Thanks in advance ??? ??? ???

ESD said:
How busy are pipers in todays reserves? Job progression/advancement? Potential t earn a decent income? Aside from a practice night every week and the ocasional parade or ceremony, I can't see how a piper would be "training" for an entire weekend a month.

You've obviously never played the pipes. You have to practice daily just to reach the "really shitty" level, let alone be any good. A piper would be "training" a LOT, probably more than an infantry member. Dunno specifically about the reserves, though.

Yes, we practice daily. For example, I can see an infantry regiment booking in Friday night, training all weekend and going home on Sunday. Are there training exercises for pipers or other bandsman that would occupy a whole weekend?

ESD said:
Yes, we practice daily. For example, I can see an infantry regiment booking in Friday night, training all weekend and going home on Sunday. Are there training exercises for pipers or other bandsman that would occupy a whole weekend?

Well, beside having concerts/mess dinners/various other events to play for (the RMC band is quite busy in that aspect, so I'd assume any pipe band would probably be at least a bit busy) there could be workshops and whatnot. I doubt it'd be the kind of thing like the infantry where you get there Friday and leave Sunday, (or whatever the infantry does..) but I could see you spending most of the day playing the pipes, going home, and coming back the next day to do the same.

Like I said, I'm doing some talking out of my behind, but based on my experience on the RMC pipe band (granted, I'm in the "absolutely aweful" category, right now) when we have full days to practice we just practice tunes and try to get better at playing together.

What trades....????
You decide what you like most and what will eventually benefit you in your life. I've known a few ''band'' guys and most of them had other trades than music. Choose for yourself and make the best of it.

:)

villecour said:
What trades....????
You decide what you like most and what will eventually benefit you in your life. I've known a few ''band'' guys and most of them had other trades than music. Choose for yourself and make the best of it.

:)

While you can have a "normal" trade and be in the band, you can also just be a musician. I don't remember the details, but "musician" (or something to that effect) IS a trade in the CF.

The other hard part maybe finding an authorized pipe band with paid positions for pipers.  I know the Calgary Highlander pipe band is a volunteer band with only a couple of paid positions.

the MOC is 871 Musician.  There are only a few authorized pipe bands in Canada.  I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected but I believe the 48th Highlanders in Toronto, the Argyll's in Hamilton, and the Cameron's in Ottawa are the only authorized pipe bands.  The rest had a paid pipe major/drum major and thats it.  Pipe bands are always busy.  There are gigs almost every week, whether they're military related or not.

Back