• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Equiptment

foxtwo

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just curious about the various items pilots take up with them in their flight suits before they go on a flight or a sortie. Do CF pilots carry pistols with them?

Pistols are not usually carried in Canada by any flight crew - sometimes the Griffon drivers carry them when working for the RCMP.

The following is a list of what I usually carry in the multitude of pockets throughout my flight suit.

1. 4 different types of writing utensils

2. basic calculator

3. whiz wheel - flight computer

4. Abbreviated version of CC-115 SOPs and SMM

5. Emergency checklist for CC-115

6. Blue wedge, issued

7. Issued survival knife

8.  Issued USAF sunglasses

9.  Gerber serrated blade

10.  lip balm

11. kleenex

12.  trident gum

13.  small pad of paper

14.  Issued pager

15.  Issued Pelican flashlight

16. foam earplugs

We don't carry any survival gear as our aircraft is full of it!

I agree with zoomie that 9mm are not usually carried by Cdn aircrew, especially in Canada. But during Op Apollo most Sea King crews, for good or bad, flew with 9mm either jerry rigged to their LPSVs, strapped on their legs or in their helment bags. I don't know for sure but I would also imagine Herc crews flying TAL probably carry a 9mm or at least have crew weapons on the aircraft. I also imagine Griffon and Cf-18 crews wouid carry a personal weapon in theatre.   

As for other stuff Sea King Pilots/aircrew fly with a helment, LPSV, and immersion suit (most of the year anyway in Halifax), along with all any or all the stuff as listed by Zoomie ie its pretty much up to individual discretion outside of required ALSE gear.

PS I am new to the board but have been lurking for a little while

As Slim Pickens says in Dr. Strangelove, you could have a good time in Vegas with all that stuff. (You just need to add gold coins and condoms)  ;D

foxtwo said:
I was just curious about the various items pilots take up with them in their flight suits before they go on a flight or a sortie. Do CF pilots carry pistols with them?

Should we start calling you Tex?

It does vary outside the standard ALSE kit as listed by my two cohorts above. In my flight suit (when I'm not wearing an immersion suit) I carry my wallet, cell phone, wedge, 3 pens of different colours, pencil, pilot's checklist, serrated one-hand opening knife and a white flashlight. The rest of the stuff I carry in my helmet bag, things like a couple grease pencils, my approach plates and charts, issued Russell hunting knife, protractor, whiz wheel, calculator, and a few other things like those listed by Zoomie.

In the winter we're required to carry winter flying pants, mukluks, arctic mitts, toque and parka/winter flying jacket.

Welcome to the board h3tacco, there's a west coast TACCO around here too.

I carry a pad of paper, 2 pens, a pencil, a steadler marker, pelican flashlight, russel knife, my wallet with a bit of cash ( never go flying without money BTW) Wedge, wiz wheel, INS fix sheets   and the issued strobe light.

In my helmet bag i stuff VNC / JNC / WAC, HI and LO charts, GPH 205, apropriate GPH 200, apropriate VFR terminal area chart(s), a compass ( just in case), my spare set of flying gloves, CP-140 aesop checklist, and the CADPAT combat hat.

I flew a Sea King for the first time last week. The pilots brought with them a paper towel role. (We had a leak in the cockpit.)

;)

I am a civvie and have my PPL,

When I go up, i always bring my sunglasses, my marker pencil, a pencil or 2, a pen, my VNC, required docs, cell phone, flight computer, checklist, the CFS, my camara, and wallet (and my car keys lol).

J.G.

Griffon guys will wear a 9mm sometimes during an exercise....but not on a daily basis.

Pens/pencils, field log book, nav ruler, beret, cell phone, checklist, pelican flashlight, survival tool, gerber, and a NVG compat. LED headlamp - sometimes an amoured vest.

Surprised no one mentioned the Travel Claim- or is that the nav's job.

;)

Actually - there are only individual claims now - unlike the past when the Nav would carry the bulk claim.

I leave mine at work - where it is safe from destruction. 

Zoomie said:
Actually - there are only individual claims now - unlike the past when the Nav would carry the bulk claim.

I leave mine at work - where it is safe from destruction.  

We still travel on bulk claims.  Did a trip to Kinloss a while ago and the Admin O came with us but usualy someone on the crew handles the bulk claim. At least that ben my experience so far.

I'm another civvy pilot, and have started to carry a few of those blue shop towels with me whenever I fly since I inevitably get oil or some other crud on my hands during my preflight inspection.  Besides that, I don't think I tote anything that's not yet been mentioned.  

I always have a roll of TP in my helmet bag.  Never know when you will have to make a quick stop and find a bush.

Strike said:
I always have a roll of TP in my helmet bag.   Never know when you will have to make a quick stop and find a bush.

Good idea.

On the CP-140 we are faced with the ulrimate dilema.....we have a fully functioning toilet but if you use it, you piss off the techs ( who have to clean it)  ;D

I always have a roll of TP in my helmet bag.  Never know when you will have to make a quick stop and find a bush.

Hehe, shop towels strike again!  Those things are a close cousin of duct tape and WD-40. 

aesop081 said:
Good idea.

On the CP-140 we are faced with the ulrimate dilema.....we have a fully functioning toilet but if you use it, you piss off the techs ( who have to clean it)  ;D

Applicable only on TD... On the line the maintainers put the bird to bed.

Question - In the event that you guys have to eject, what kind of eqipment and supplies do you have when you land on the ground? Just what you have on you suit?

Back