• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics - Singapore's 5.56mm Ultimax SAW/LSW/LMG

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
This is an unusual weapon, and is generic to Singapore only. It takes drums and modified 30rd M16 mags. Standard 30rd mags are not interchangeable. Note the holes on the LH side and the slot on the RH side of the mags too.

For normal use by the SAF, the bbl is 1/12 for the 5.56mm M193 55gr ball rd. This wpn is the 'export version' and has a 1/7 twist, so the SAF pers can use the M855/SS109 ammo, as used by the ADF.

Any comments?

Cheers,

Wes

PS - excuse my ugly mug in the phot below ;D

A little more widely distributed than you might think. :)
Here's a pic of it being used by the Croatians during the Balkan wars

2.jpg

Hey Wes in comparison to the M249/C9 and the Ultimax which do you prefer and why?

humm ACOG with external windage knob.....  I've been thinking about adding that to mine when I send it in for a new dose of tritium, due in the next few years, my ACOG was born in 1993 so it's starting to dim a little.  Who said radioactivity lasted forever..... lol

Britney Spears said:
A little more widely distributed than you might think. :)
Here's a pic of it being used by the Croatians during the Balkan wars

Good info, and great pic. I was only being told what the Team Captain said, but although no widespread contracts with outside nations, he did say there was some exceptions, and this included US Navy SEALs, plus other countries for evaluation and or trials.

As for being used in the Balkans, this weapons no doubt was 'donated' thru sources unknown, as they were using anything then, including German small arms from WW2, and numerous other types not common to the area (FN FAL etc). The FRY had then and does now, a very keen and busy small arms industry themselves.

Regards,

Wes

Ex-Dragoon said:
Hey Wes in comparison to the M249/C9 and the Ultimax which do you prefer and why?

The Ultimax just did not seem to cut it with me, although performed great for the SAF team, but thats under range conditions, not on the battlefield. The lack of magazine interchagebility with standard M16 FOW mags also does not wash with me, plus its not belt fed either. Besides the rifle used, the SAR21, has its own mags which are specific to the SAR21 only. This creates more problems. Look at us and the M4-Minimi-Austeyr delema. Two mags for three different weapons.

The Ultimax was designed for the smaller stature Asian soldiers (although I did see some +6 footers), with a skinny butt and reciever, and in my hands, it did not seem to feel comforatble, and robust, but I guess after all the time on the MAG 58, and Minimi, I have becomed accustomed to them.

Personally I would take the Minimi over the Ultimax anytime. Not that i am smearing shyte on the Ultimax, it just did not give me that confident feeling.

Cheers,

Wes

Just a note, the ulitmax 100 was designed by Jim Sullivan. The same guy who brought us Beta-C mags and the 30mm chain gun used in the Apach.   He is also one of the two guys that did the work to transform the AR10 to AR15 back in Armalite.   The ultimax 100 uses a "constant recoil" mechanism that, supposedlly, makes it the most controllable LMG in the world.  I read about it long time ago but supposedly the mechanism smooths out the recoil "spikes" into a more flatlined constant push, thus, increases the controllability.

Back