• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics: Development and evolution of the current bayonet for the C7A2 rifle

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, been meaning to do this for some time.

Firstly, you might wonder what Russian AKM bayonets have to do with the current German Eickhorn Can-Bayonet 2000 concept.

Think I've been sniffing too much CLP?

Read on.............

I first read about this in Brassey's Infantry Weapons, published 1975 LCCC No. 74-20627.

The first bayonet pictured appeared 50 yrs ago for the Russian AKM rifle.

This bayonet is known as a Type I AKM bayonet and was made at the Izhevsk Factory in the fomer Soviet Union.

Note the blade design and wire cutting concept.

Next to come along was the AKM Type II bayonet, and this specimen again of Russian manufacture, first appearing in the 1970's. It is missing the wrist thong as pictured on the Type I above.

Again note the blade design, including the saw, and wire cutting concept.

Both Type 1 and Type II AKM bayonets were manufactured by various Warsaw Pact/Com Bloc countries. Some of these were, Poland, Yugoslavia, East Germany, Romania, Bulgaria, and Hungary. We cannot forget the PRC, and DPNK. Iraq too made a version on Yugoslavian machinery. Both these bayonets pictured came out of Iraq.

In the mid 1960's, NWM de Kruithoorn in conjunction with Eickhorn and Solingen designed and developed a bayonet for the US Stoner weapons system.

The Soviet blade and wire cutting concept were copied. It is said that immitation is the best form of flattery. Too bad the Commies never had a copyright, ha!

This bayonet is called the KCB70. Again have a squizz at the blade.

Another sample here is the West German Eickhorn KCB77 bayonet (c.1977), originally put forward for the Austrian Steyr-AUG, yet able to also fit on the US M16 FOW.

This bayonet has no detachable frog. 

Another Eickhorn West German manufacted KCB77 bayonet (c.1988). This one differs with a detachable frog ( for wirecutting use), and is Australian proofed as experimental for the Aussie F88 (AUG) FOW.

The point of the blade also slightly differs from the earlier KCB77 bayonet.

As we see here, the continued blade design and wire cutting concept is present from the 50 year old Russian design.

Here is a hybrid, the Indian bayonet for the 5.56mm INSAS rifle, which appeared in the mid 1990's, and is using the same blade/wire cutting concept as both the Russian AKM bayonets and the West German KCB70/77 bayonets.

Now at last we have the Eickhorn Can-Bayonet 2000, which still carries the wirecutting concept, with again a similar balde, but no saw.

This bayonet is Eickhorn/Diemaco marked, and serialised. Early Diemaco bayonets were serialised, but this is no longer done.

The 2000 Bayonet is the 21 century modern evolved KCB77, and even the scabbards are pretty much identical, accepting the 70, and 77 series perfectly, and the Cdn bayonet also fits the earlier scabbards.

The attachment end of this bayonet is a design taken off the 1964 designed US M7 (and Nella C7 c.1986) bayonet, and this is presently on both the 70 and 77 models.

The KCB family of bayonets will fit on a host of modern weapons, allowing for a different attachment end and muzzle ring size. They even have one for the AKM.

Note the wire cutting concept on the scabbard of the 40 yr old KCB70 Stoner bayonet, and look at the Can-Bayonet 2000. Overall identical, shy of the removal of the screw driver due to inverted carry on the TV. It was thought at Diemaco that this might create some cuts to one's chin, so it was removed for the Cdn version.

Summing up, there are many different versions of both the KCB family and the Bayonet 2000. Colours of grips and scabbards have been tan and black, and slight mods can also be found on the Inet, so google if you are curious.

The USMC trialed the 2000 bayonet, but went to another design instead, the OKC-3S in coyote brown.

I do have one of these specimens along with the US Buck M9, but I have not included them in this thread.

I hope this has been interesting and informative, and maybe answered some of your questions.

Should one be interested in collecting bayonets, there is always ebay, and many bayonet collecting sources/clubs on the INet along with gun shows in most major cities in Canada.

Regards,

OWDU

Excellent series, nice clear reference images. Thanks for posting.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33641.0.html

This thread has my pictures of the bayonet 2000 with the screwdriver tip, and it does punch holes in your chin when you jump off a truck or obstacle course.

Back