• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physics Degree in the Air Force

There are certain extras but can be done concurrently within the 10 months, that's what they're advertising anyway.  Depends on your prior education of course.  From what I understand if you go in with no degree, you leave with Bach. in PA .  If you go in with a general Bach. you come out with a Masters in PA.  If you go in with a engineering degree you come out with a Masters of Aerospace Engineering.  All come with extras but can be done in 10 months apparently, not bad I'd say.  Assessed on a individual basis through U of M and the CF School of Aerospace Studies. 

Guy at work today who did it a while ago said it's worth 2 points on PER too, he did it sans degree (he entered through the CEOTP plan).  Best part is...he gets to wear a sweet patch now!

I checked with the guys upstairs at CFSAS, and from what they're saying upstairs they are continuing to negotiate with U of M.  The setup they're exploring is that for the M.Eng. you'll have to do a few extra courses as well as a thesis.  Apparently some of the ASC project work would count toward the thesis, but the thesis will have to completed after ASC (i.e. by correspondence).

prima6 said:
I checked with the guys upstairs at CFSAS, and from what they're saying upstairs they are continuing to negotiate with U of M.  The setup they're exploring is that for the M.Eng. you'll have to do a few extra courses as well as a thesis.  Apparently some of the ASC project work would count toward the thesis, but the thesis will have to completed after ASC (i.e. by correspondence).

This matches with what I know.  I'm an AERE and the ASC course gives you the same credit on merit boards as someone with a Masters.  Currently it does not matter what type of Masters you have, but thought has been given to changing this to only Masters that match with the types of degrees that are currently accepted to get into the CF as an AERE (or via ROTP).  However, as prima6 states, currently doing the ASC course as an AERE does not immediately give someone a Masters that is recognized outside of the CF.

On a side note, as an engineer, having project manager skills via ASC or experience generally leads to a higher salary when working on civy street.  The project managers usually make more money than the engineers that are actually doing the hard engineering.

Back