• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical stuff on the first day of BMQ

Forgotten_Hero

Inactive
Reaction score
What kind of physical stuff are they gonna want me to do on the first day (3 hours) of BMQ? I can do 30 push ups right now (it seems I have gained quite a bit of weight over the winter, lol...) and I havent done any actual outdoor running since December (I've been running on the treadmill though), so I'm hoping I'll be ok. They wont ask me to run for like 15 min at a time, fast pace, with the  uniform and those boots and on the first day, will they? They wont make me do 50 pushups on the first day (minimum to pass the pt test was 19), will they? As you can probably tell, I worry alot  ;D

Oh your gonna run buddy... for about half an hour every morning.

Well, Im doing BMQ with my regiment, starting on Tuesday. I dont think they're gonna pull me out of school for it, so I'm expecting 3 hours of BMQ then. Any idea what they're gonna make me do on the first day? What happens if I cant do it?

Well if you go there with the attitude of 'what if I can't do it' you might as well just shoot yourself in the foot, cause you're just hurting yourself. If you go there with the attitude of 'I'll do my best, and I'll try my hardest at whatever they throw at me' then you'll probably have a much better time. And don't worry so much, just take everything one day at a time...if you feel you're as prepared as you can be then worrying won't do you any good.

And good luck.  :)

Thx for the tip. Dont worry about my attitude, I'll go there and do my best... I have a habbit not quitting if I've got a good reason to keep going... but until Tuesday, I will be worrying about it! I just cant help it!

When you feel like you cant go anymore, convince your body you have only just started! :threat:

Anyone else get the feeling that you guys are getting way too worked up for this? By 'you guys' I mean everyone who posts something like: I do this and this and this will I be able to run at BMQ? etc etc

Don't get me wrong it's important to be in shape when you show up but PT and all the rest wasn't all that difficult. In my experience going up(many times a day, every day) the 5-10 flights of stairs, depending on your platoon's luck, was more of a pain in the ass than running for 30 min everyday.

If you're gunning for top athlete it's justified, otherwise just relax and do your best.

Top athlete candidates, please ignore the above.

In closing here's my .02..... When you're doing pushups at home, touch the floor with your nose on each one and keep your arms in. So many times I've heard "I did 30+ pushups but they only counted 12" or "After they only counted 2 of my first 15 I just gave up" from the PT Express. Most of the people I heard that from were not fat, or weak or whatever either. For you superstars the best guys were doing 60+ on my course. Doing well on this test should definitely be most important thing in your mind(PT wise) going in. Everything is easy except the pushups since they are judged by the PSP staff who can be quite firm on their standards.

Sorry I didn't mean to rant but it seems nearly every post on this board revolves around the same theme which was really anti-climatic. Nearly everyone I talked to on my course felt the PT could/should have been more challenging on basic.

Yes I definately hear what you're saying. Not to mention the "what PT will I do on basic" has been beaten to death so many times the corpse can no longer be found. It's not as if you're preparing to go to hell week people, it's just basic training.

Hmmm ... methinks an attitude adjustment may be in order ...

First of all:  The purpose of Army training is NOT to force people into situations where they're faced with things that they can not do ... rather, instead, the idea is to start out at a "threshold" and then work towards a higher level, teaching people how to do things they couldn't do initially ...

Hand in hand with that, it's also important to realise that to goal is NOT to fail/wash out/break recruits ... which would be a waste of time, effort and resources for everybody concerned.  The idea is to take civilians fresh off the street, and train/build/improve/turn them into soldiers ...

Okay - now that we've had a successful intervention ... carry on.

Don't worry about running, they do it in platoon size. As long as you stay in formation and don't fall behind. If you fall behind and end up past the very last rank, it means you need more cardio.

As for pushups what not, just do your best. They are not going to make you do 50 on the first day, but they will make you do 20 if you screw up something lol.

It may not be the case for everyone, but on my first day we didn't even do morning PT, we waited till around 2030h before getting started. We did 20 minutes of running around the parking lot (it was only -2, so not bad at all...) followed by 15 minutes 'house of pain' in which you buddy up and one guy does two laps while the other does pushups, then switch, and you do the same for squats and situps. But again, it depends entirely on your course staff and/or your behaviour. Good luck! :salute:

It is my understanding that you're not supposed to run in combat boots (for training purposes, obviously operational is a different story.) That's what we were told on my BMQ. If you can do 30 push-ups and do regular cardio, you would do fine on BMQ if it is anything like mine. Which it may not be.

They can't run you in combat boots ON PAVEMENT, they can run you in circles around a field until you turn blue or red or whatever color you turn when you get tired.

TheCheez said:
They won't run you but theres no rules against double time.

Yeah gotta watch out for that...I'm glad our course staff took their time before teaching us how to do that properly!

marshmanguy said:
They can't run you in combat boots ON PAVEMENT, they can run you in circles around a field until you turn blue or red or whatever color you turn when you get tired.
Funny, in the armoury we have our bmq at - when they say move, they expect you you to MOVE - lest you want to to miss timings and enjoy the fun that comes from that.

Same here, I don't think they consider the parade square or inside a building pavement, I think it refers to just roads and sidewalks and the like.

Back