• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical question?

DEVES

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been running and working out five days a week and I am planning on getting into the Infantry either PPCLI or RCR Hopefully. My question is:

What is the average weight of a Ruck for the infantry?

I have a few close friends in the force right now and they have let me borrow a ruck one of there old rucks .I want to start getting used to the weight and also running with something on my back since I havent really ran with more than 30pounds of weight on my back.

Also does anyone have any other suggestion for training physically.

Currently I run 4km every evening, Monday to Friday and I take a resting period for Sat and Sun.

How many km average would be a regular PT run ?

Thanks.

Just So everyone knows and is not confused when I say Ruck I mean RuckSAC or (The Big back pack)
Thxs again!

I believe the ruck weight for BFT (Battle fitness test) is 55lbs plus rifle, tac vest and helmet.You have 2 hours to complete 12km.Im not positive of these numbers but its very close to that. If you can do this once per year without problem, you should have no difficulty humping your own gucci kit in the field

The official weight with your weapon, helmet, webbing (no tac vest until you get to your unit) and ruck is 24.5kgs which is 53.9lbs and its probably the lightest ruck you'll hump. A ruck you pack for the field, and hump all day, can easily weigh 70+ lbs. You don't run with the ruck on, you just walk, however the field can be a different story.

start increasing the distance of your runs. Try for 10 km 3 times a week. You didn't mention upper work, if you're not already, start doing push-ups, sit-ups, and chin-ups. The weight Goober gave you is about right, as is his advice that you will never have a ruck that light at any other time than the BFT.

Sounds good I am going to start increasing my runs till I get to 10km. I do all of the upper body work also. Most of the time after my run. Which include push ups, Weights, sit ups etc.

What I'm also going to do is start eating healthier. Currently i weigh 160 and I am 5'9.

Any other suggestions.
Thanks.

Dont let the slow (really slow) pace of the initial training fool you.

Your basic training in Quebec will leave you thinking that the army is a sad joke, but the difficulty will increase with Infantry Battle school.

Once you reach a unit, you will find that there are training events that will severely test your physical and mental abilities, so keep training, and dont allow yourself to put on too much weight when you are in St. Jean!

Good luck, and the PPCLI is waaaaaay better than the RCR - and we have better postings too! ;D

GO!!! said:
Good luck, and the PPCLI is waaaaaay better than the RCR - and we have better postings too! ;D
ahem, when referring to The Royal Canadian Regiment, the word "the" is capitalized. An honour bestowed on The Royal Canadian Regiment by Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Victoria.
Nyaaah!
;D

But the PPCLI are more fun, and do have better postings.

Paracowboy,

Perhaps you would care to bestow upon the readers of this forum the other words substituted for RCR.

They usually have the word "chicken" in them....

>:DBWHAHAHAHA >:D

we better quit before a mod spanks us.

Derek, on another thread, I posted the following:
oh yeah! I almost forgot. Numbers alone mean nothing. It's irrelevant if you can do 1000 push-ups if they aren't done to the standard. So let's talk about form. First, we will pause as I think about the perfect form: Alyssa Milano....

Okay, that's out of my system. For now.
You have to perform each movement properly. Push-ups: down position is with the elbows at a 90 degree angle. Up is with the elbows straight. Sit-ups: Feet flat on the ground, knees bent, shoulderblades touching the floor, hands touching the ears. Do NOT hook your hands behind your head. The fingers can not leave the head. Up position is when the elbows touch the knees. Chin-ups: down position is with the arms fully extended, and the body hanging. Up is when the chin is over the bar. No kicking, swaying, or bicycling.
If you fail to meet these standards, the movement does not count.
It applies to you as well.

As I said I have a few friends in the Edmonton garrison and the told me that I could really get an RCR pissed off by softly chanting as I pass  "Run Chicken Run". As I am not in the military yet I can laugh about that but who knows I might be sent to the RCR so I better keep my mouth shut hey. Nothing against them at all but I much rather be  a cowboy (PPCLI) than a freaking Chicken.

Thanks  :salute: paracowboy for the info on pushups. I'm quite fit right now. I have drove the route I run ever night and its 4.3km. I have been running that with 40 pounds of weight in a ruck in just under 20 min. I do this every night.

I'm not going to under estimate what is going to happen , for example basic and not having to have too much weight. I am just going to go all out. No point being the one at the back of the pack. I want to LEAD the Pack.

Quote,
. I want to LEAD the Pack.

...and you can't do that untill you work WITH the pack.....

Derek Eves said:
As I said I have a few friends in the Edmonton garrison and the told me that I could really get an RCR pissed off by softly chanting as I pass   "Run Chicken Run".
and so you can. Or, in this case, a former Royal.

I dont mean that im going to be ahead like an idiot.

But just motivating the pack. I know theres no "I" in team and thats what the CDN army is like!!

Theres no problem being more fit?

Derek Eves said:
I don't mean that I'm going to be ahead like an idiot.

But just motivating the pack. I know theres no "I" in team and thats what the CDN army is like!!

Theres no problem being more fit?

"Don't be first, don't be last, and never volunteer" is what I was told before I went to basic. The only part of that I paid attention to was "don't be last". This lead to all sorts of extra fun, but if you like a challenge...

That sounds about right. Ive heard this from many people. So what happens when your first?

You look like a bag licker/apple polisher/teacher's pet/blade!

Then everyone makes fun of you...

I guess that question answered itself hey!

Thx you all for you replies! The are appriciated! :salute:

GO!!! said:
You look like a bag licker/apple polisher/teacher's pet/blade!

Then everyone makes fun of you...

Are you kidding? I hope I'm not going to BMQ to play games...isn't the point for everyone to excel as much as possible?

Zombie said:
Are you kidding? I hope I'm not going to BMQ to play games...isn't the point for everyone to excel as much as possible?
no. The point is for you to learn how to be a soldier and a part of a team.

Back