• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Photos Of Canadian Troops in Astan

Quagmire said:
Your in the 3rd aren't you.  I thought anything went with the 3rd BN VP.
at the time I was in the 3rd BN of the other English-speaking Regt. And it was not a happy time for us.

Ahhhh the RCR.  Say no more.  I'm sure the rocks appreciate a fresh coat of paint.

Wow these are great pictures. It's nice to hear about positive things over there besides long firefights and soldiers getting blown up. Thank you!

btw, what are boot bands? Can you post a picture?

Boot bands are the "elastic-like" bands with a clip at each end that troops use to "blouse" their combat pants above the top of their boots...this pic is a pair of them on their cardboard holder, the way you get them at the store.  Well, not at the CANEX now, they have those crappy new ones that suck compared to these ones, IMO.

BB.jpg

From MCG:
The flag is worn on a velco patch that is on the pockets sewn to the sleeves.  A small flag is worn on the left shoulder (the little tab that is on uniforms in Canada) and a large flag on the right arm pocket (though you will see guys being cool with two flags on the left and one on the right).

Thanks for the explanation.  I've always been a big fan of showing the flag.  

paracowboy said:
it is in the field, especially when trying to ventilate in the desert, or when trying to camouflage big black boots, or when expecting to hump any significant distance. (Or when thinking that one can get away with it, ignoring the fact that there is a photojournalist present  ::) I did something very similar, and my entire Battalion Group paid the piper for it.)

Ack! Makes sense, although Im sure lots of RSMs would be foaming at the mouth upon seeing it.  They got bad enough just seeing you wear the wrong color boots!  

Actually my old unit, we used to do that, when it was ++hot and we were, say, in the OP screen for 2-3 days...out of sight, out of mind though.

We had a QL3 course, doing the Defensive one time, Telephone Corner in Gagetown, and our SSM had a shite-fit over it, but...the excuse was "to allow some air flow in the +30 temps Sir" and he just grumbled and walked away.

I think most Armoured types, the old school ones, think of that as "as infantry thing"... ::)  just like how we were only authorized to wear the black beret...which is nice in +30 temps, keeps the head cool  ::)

Thanks for posting those pics, look forward to more

Mud Recce Man said:
Actually my old unit, we used to do that, when it was ++hot and we were, say, in the OP screen for 2-3 days...out of sight, out of mind though.
We had a QL3 course, doing the Defensive one time, Telephone Corner in Gagetown, and our SSM had a shite-fit over it, but...the excuse was "to allow some air flow in the +30 temps Sir" and he just grumbled and walked away.
I think most Armoured types, the old school ones, think of that as "as infantry thing"... ::)  just like how we were only authorized to wear the black beret...which is nice in +30 temps, keeps the head cool   ::)

I have an interesting theory on that, as to how fixation with correct dress is directly related to whether you are able to demonstrate your trade skills.  Basically, the less you are able to demonstrate your trade skills on a daily basis, the more fixated the occupation is on deportment and appearance... up to a specific threshold after which there is a total loss of interest in what others think of their appearance.  :warstory:

Reminds me of...

"No combat-ready unit will ever pass inspection, and no inspection-ready unit will ever pass combat".

Alas, I remember getting in shite for "allowing" my patrol to wear bush hats on ex.  ::)  The only explaination I was given was "because, we were Beret only!".  Well.  Now that was clear.  We still wore the bush hats.  Now, the guys in the tanks or AFVs, I can see them not wanting to wear them, or needing to.  I was in a "mud O.P." for 3 days, no breeze, high temp's.  wtf? 

Not that compliance with dress regs isn't important, cause it is (mostly) but in the bush...should be more..."common sense applies".  We had an ex Reg Frce RSM once, he said "if its black, or green, and it looks like it could be issued, then I don't care in the field.  Wear it elsewhere and its issued-only for the whole Q#@#@%$ bunch of you!"

Just my 2 cents.

Are you honestly telling the tankers don't allow bush hats in the field, or do they prefer to look cool in their black berets like the light BN's.

Well, I can only tell you about the places/people I was around...not all the Reg Frce units, by any means.  BUT...before the CADPAT days, yep this beret vs. bush hat thing was a bit of a boxing match at times.  no idea why...but some of the folks I knew were dead against wearing anything but the ol black beret.  all the time.  Not to insult those folks, I just didn't see the point if something else was better in the bush...like, dismounted ptl's, OPs, etc.

The old ways of wearing only the black beret in the field has died off a long time ago....especially now in AFVs.

Helmets on during mouted moves.....floppy hat on for dismounted patrols.

Mind you we don't trim the brim either    ;)

Don't want to be out the cost of replacing them.

I still have my beret though with me in the field....just in case of an impromptu parade (it has happened before)

As for the blousing issue....if we're in the field and the big guys aren't around, if it makes it a bit more bearable in the muggy heat of the Ottawa Valley....go for it.

Now in the desert....I didn't find any difference at all.

Regards

It's for historical reasons.  At one time, there was a concerted bureaucratic attempt to ban the black beret (as part of unification).  When the Corps regained the beret, it became the "only" hat worn by armoured personnel.  There was, for a long time, a fear of "giving in" and losing the tradition. I remember wearing a black piece of wool on my head in Suffield in nearly 40 degree temperatures (with the heat blowing up into the hatch the entire time) over a decade ago; no one questioned it, it was just done.

Things have obviously changed recently, particularly with the direction that all vehicle crews wear helmets. 

Recce By Death,

The person who comes to mind for me over the "nothing but berets" is someone you do know...initials RC.  From Moncton.

He was the one who shite all over me for bush hats.  That was late 90's, so not that long ago.  It actually turned into quite a topic (read argument) in the Mess that night in Gtown that even sucked in some infantry and engineers types (not on his side either).  interesting night.

As I said, most of this was before the "CADPAT days" for lack of a better term.  When I was at CMTC in '03, bush hats was the way for us on ARTC, I think the ACTC types stuck with the beret IIRC...

Mud

Ahh seen....I know who you're talking about. Funny seeing as he started out as a trucker in 88.

Teddy....I still yearn for the old days in regards to the whole beret mess.

It was a tradition....and was pushed aside for a more "safe" head dress in AFVs.

Mind you either 46 tons of steel or 20 tons....if it's going to roll, 2 lbs of helmet isn't going to make any difference.

But we're WAY off topic now.....    ;D

Regards

But we're WAY off topic now

It wouldn't be a good topic if it didn't go that route now would it.

There was a topic??

Oh right, the pictures.  And boot bands...

Back