• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Phase 2 question

csura2

Inactive
Reaction score
I have just received my joining instructions for CAP in Gagetown. It contains a brief description of the training aspects and one of them is "Recognize AFV and AC". I was wondering if anyone knew what this means (translation of the abbreviations would be great). Thanks.

reckognize armoured fighting vehicles and aircraft. at least I think the AC is aircraft. the class consists of you being shown pictures of roughly 50-60 different tanks, APC‘s, AFV‘s, and aircraft, being taught how to differentiate them, and then identifying them correctly on a test.

If you want to get a leg-up, there are many sites on the Internet to help you along. AFV recognition is actually fairly difficult (for many people), so I would suggest getting a head start (work on the basics: Canadian military equipment (go to DND site for photos) and then NATO equipment. It‘s kind of like being able to tell the difference between a Honda Civic and an Accord: they basically look the same (4 wheels, roof, trunk, etc), but it‘s the details that you have to pick up on. So it goes for AFV‘s and AC: to the untrained eye, an M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank looks like a Challenger MBT, but one is US and the other from the UK.

Basically it‘s nice to have a photographic memory (they used to use slides to test you, and there were only so many photos of some of the old Warsaw Pact vehicles, so it made it easier). Now they can use computer generated models to make it much more difficult, so you actually have to know what the vehicles look like from every perspective (**** technology!!!!!).

Anyways, hope that helped.

Allan

AFV recognition was probably the hardest written test I‘ve done so far in my brief military career. It was part of BIQ.

It was not very in-depth, according to some of the more experienced instructors, but it did touch on a wide variety of equipment (mostly former Soviet-bloc).

I found some vehicles easier to recognize than others, and you will probably be taught little tricks to try and differentiate between models of vehicles, such as counting the number of wheels in tank treads, position of the turret on the hull, etc.

Like every test, though, if you don‘t make the grade, you‘ll have another crack at it.

Back