• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peter Mackay marries former Miss Canada World Nazanin Afshin-Jam

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Peter Mackay marries former Miss Canada World Nazanin Afshin-Jam
Postmedia News  Jan 4, 2012
Article Link

Canada’s defence minister tied the knot Wednesday way south of the border, according to his website.

Peter MacKay married Nazanin Afshin-Jam in a private ceremony reported to have taken place in Mexico.

Afshin-Jam is Iranian-born and a former Miss Canada World who has since become a high-profile human rights activist. The trilingual pilot was once named one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.

“She is the most important person in my life and over the coming months, Nazanin and I look forward to spending more time at home in Central Nova and sharing our happiness with all of you,” MacKay said in a statement on his website.
More on link

This from the Minister's web page:
Created: 2012-01-04 20:04:28

Message from Peter MacKay
Date: January 04, 2012

Friends,

I am overjoyed to announce Nazanin Afshin-Jam and I married at a private ceremony surrounded by family and loved ones today. Since coming into my life many of you have met Nazanin on her many visits to Nova Scotia. She is the most important person in my life and over the coming months, Nazanin and I look forward to spending more time at home in Central Nova and sharing our happiness with all of you.

Nazanin and I would like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year and all the best for 2012.

Peter

Congratulations, and good luck to both of them.

Some guys have all the luck!  ;)

Best wishes for the happy couple!

IMHO, a definite upgrade from Ms. Stronach.

Congrats to a fellow Acadia University alumni.  He's done well for himself.  :)

I may be off the mark, he strikes me as a country boy in the city and she strikes me as a city girl, it might cause some issues when he wants to spend time at a remote fishing hole.

A bit of bio on Nazanin Afshin-Jam...................

Nazanin Afshin-Jam: A model of achievement
Adrian Humphreys  Jan 6, 2012
Article Link

Afshin Afshin-Jam was running the luxury Intercontinental hotel in Tehran when the 1979 Islamic revolution toppled the monarchy in Iran. Change was immediate at the hotel: Gun-toting revolutionaries burst in demanding portraits of the Shah be torn down.

The next day they demanded alcohol be banned. Then they came for the music, demanding it be silenced.

It was too much for Mr. Afshin-Jam, who stood on the hotel’s front desk and shouted across the opulent lobby for the ragtag fighters to get out. Instead, they knocked him down with the butt of a rifle and dragged him to jail.

It was a desperate time for the Afshin-Jam family.

Living well under the old order, Mr. Afshin-Jam had a wife and young family at home, including a baby daughter.

That baby, Nazanin Afshin-Jam, would go on to make headlines across Canada this week — when her surprise wedding to Peter MacKay, the Minister of Defence, was revealed — but at the time of the 1979 revolution, her future was in doubt.

In prison, Mr. Afshin-Jam was lashed and abused, according to the family’s account, and despite the chaos of change, the revolutionaries found time for a hearing. Mr. Afshin-Jam’s insolence deserved a death sentence.

Fate intervened: The judge, a hardliner nicknamed the hanging judge for his quick issuing of execution orders, was in a car accident on his way to the hearing. Pouncing on the unexpected delay, Mr. Afshin-Jam’s wife, Jaleh, managed to secure her husband’s temporary release and the family fled.

They spent a year in Spain searching for a new country.

“I don’t know if they threw darts at a map or flipped a coin or whether it was that Canada was the first to offer a visa, but they came here,” said Peter Karroll, who is married to Ms. Afshin-Jam’s older sister and later managed Ms. Afshin-Jam’s music career.
More on link

Apparently she's a pilot. So maybe Peter keeps himself out of trouble for chopper rides in the future. #winning

Minister of defence and a human rights activist.........That's going to make interesting dinner conversation.

CDN Aviator said:
Minister of defence and a human rights activist.........That's going to make interesting dinner conversation.

I would think it would - however we in the CF have been pretty adamant about upholding human rights in the last 25 years or so. Just my  :2c: prior to GST & PST.

She would win, she just wears a slinky dress and the blood flow to Peters big brain will be diverted to Peters little brain.....

Back