• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Permanent resident - application process and PRESEC clearance

Duc Viet

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a permanent resident, studying at the University of Ottawa. I will be eligible to file my citizenship application in March 2014.
Given the fact that now it takes roughly about 23-26 months for an application to be approved, I will have to wait until April-May 2016 before I'm qualified to join the Canadian Forces.
I understand that because of my origin (Vietnam, if anyone is curious), I will be subjected to the PRESEC clearance, which will likely to take 1,5- 2 years to be processed. So, adding up with the waiting time for my citizenship, I will not be able to take my oath anytime before middle 2018, or even 2019 since I am destined to be an infantry soldier. (nothing superstitious here)

2019, 6 years from now......

For the last couple of days, I have been digging around the internet to find a way to "utilize" my waiting time. My idea is that if there is anyway to complete steps which does not require any prerequisite. By doing so, I can significantly reduce my waiting time. About, 5 hours ago, I found a post in our forum. It coincidentally mentions about a person who I assumed him to started some steps in the application BEFORE he received the citizenship.

MP_HOPEFUL said:
A friend of mine used me as a reference for the military and they called me over a year ago. However, he just received his Canadian citizenship and his background check is more extensive than most would be.
When my references were called, only 1 out of the 5 I gave was called. They called my boss, which wasn't a reference I gave lol.

It is a good sign that they are calling, it means your application is moving along :)

In her story, MP_HOPEFUL was called A YEAR before her friend obtained his citizenship. This means CFRC processed and called the references BEFORE the having the prove of citizenship. I've tried to contact MP_HOPEFUL, but she has just gone to BMQ 8 days ago, so I have no way to confirm this.

Therefore, I would like to post my question here and hope you guys can help me answer it: Is it possible for me to start any step in the application BEFORE I earn my citizenship ???

If your answer if yes, the next question is: Can I ask the CFRC to do my PRESEC clearance before I receive my citizenship ??. I believe it will be the most time-consuming process, so the sooner I finish it the better.

Third question: I've read a post in the forum which says that having a Gov. clearance will help speeding up the PRESEC clearance. Can anyone confirm this ?? Here is the post
zooropa said:
Hey Guys - Hope anyone had some similar experience to share.

I applied as an officer - but for some reason I was working overseas for a 1.5 years + my parents are living overseas + I immigrated over 10 years ago from a non Nato country, my PRESEC application will be processed longer than average  :crybaby:.

I already have a Gov. Reliability clearance and did pass the CFAT - but was told to wait till the PRESEC comes in.

I thought for the fact I have a Gov. clearance that things would be faster  ^-^ - and one recruiter confirmed so. Another recruiter told me that the army will do its own reliability/ background checks and it would take time ( 6 - 18 months).

Plus is it normal to take the CFAT before screening you?

Any comments anybody?

:cdn: Zooropa  :cdn:

I hope to hear from any respond soon. Thanks

MY suggestion is do what SecondChance just did for you.  Comb through the Forces.ca website.  Look at the F.A.Q.  Then if you still have a unanswered question get the Northbay email address from that site and send off a email with your question.  Your request for advance processing on the Presec Clearance is a interesting one.  Not to burst a bubble.  As email won't hurt, but don't expect that answer to come back as yes.  I just went through the process from Application to Job offer.  It was a very rigid process and things are done the Army way and I had to suck it up and wait no matter how badly I wanted it to go faster or shave off time. :)

secondchance said:

Thank you for your respond. Although I am fully aware of the minimum requirement, or any material on the website, it's the post that gave me some doubts. That's why I wanted to ask for you guys' opinion on this matter. Anyway, I went to the CFRC today and I was told to patiently wait until I earn my citizenship.

kevincanada said:
MY suggestion is do what SecondChance just did for you.  Comb through the Forces.ca website.  Look at the F.A.Q.  Then if you still have a unanswered question get the Northbay email address from that site and send off a email with your question.  Your request for advance processing on the Presec Clearance is a interesting one.  Not to burst a bubble.  As email won't hurt, but don't expect that answer to come back as yes.  I just went through the process from Application to Job offer.  It was a very rigid process and things are done the Army way and I had to suck it up and wait no matter how badly I wanted it to go faster or shave off time. :)

The recruiter said I won't be able to have my PRESEC clearance in advance, because only an employer, or "potential" employer can request a PRESEC clearance (or any other security clearance) for their employees. As an individual, you just can't obtain the clearance for yourself. It has to be done by the employer. I phoned the CSIS and they confirmed that too.
So in my case, I can only have the PRESEC clearance once I become a "potential" employee of the CF, a.k.a having all minimum requirements.

What the CSIS suggested me to do is to be employed by a government department which requires a Government Screening of ME. That's the only way for me to obtain Government Security clearance.

In addition, although they didn't tell me if having a Gov clearance is going to speed up my PRESEC clearance or not. but they did say that the Gov. Security Clearance and the PRESEC clearance are practically the same. The CF and the Gov. conduct them separately.
Now, back to the application, on step 2, the "Personnel Screening, Consent and Authorization form" DOES ask you if your have ever completed a "Government of Canada security screening form"
Therefore, I think if I have the Gov. clearance first, my SRESEC clearance will be speed up ( they are similar and one asks if I have done the other).
Again, this is only my "conspiracy". I am not making any statement here.

In conclusion, suck it up and patiently wait for it :-[

In  the next 5-6 years, I will try to finish my university, beef my skinny ass up and get some volunteers with military related organizations. (the commanding officer of the 2784 Royal Canadian Army Cadets in Ottawa agreed to discuss about volunteering opportunity with me  ;D )

Any suggestion on preparing for my future career in the Forces would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

I was born in America but lived in Canada my whole life, the PRESEC only took 2 weeks for me. Sucks that you have to wait 1.5-2 years  but trust me it is worth it in the end. Good luck buddy.

Edit: The CFRC Cannot process anything unless the requirements are met.  I asked the CFRC to process my file back when I was 15 but they legally cannot until as I said before, all requirements are met. Anyhow I may be wrong, but ask the CFRC anyways!

Is reserves a option then convert over to regular force in the future, I am not familiar with reserves except for what I read here, While in school you could still get the BMQ? Some experience and then transfer?  I'm merely curious :)

kevincanada said:
Is reserves a option then convert over to regular force in the future, I am not familiar with reserves except for what I read here, While in school you could still get the BMQ? Some experience and then transfer?  I'm merely curious :)

You can only join the reserves if you are a Canadian Citizen. The same enrollment requirements are applied to the reserves, as they are part of the CAF.

kevincanada said:

Thank you a lots Kevin, I didn't know that it is actually possible for a landed immigrant to join the reserve.
But, joining the reserve will actually take more times  :facepalm:
The conditions are living in Canada for 5 years consecutive, having the PRESEC clearance and some few other things ~~> by the time when I lived 5 years in Canada, I might have already had my citizenship (3 years + 1 or 2 years of processing citizenship application)

And about getting some experience and then transfer, I emailed them asking about things that I can do, as a permanent resident, to prepare for my possible future in the CAF, but I haven't heard anything back though.

Best I can think of now is trying to do some volunteer at a cadets corp (again, still waiting for their answer)

Duc Viet said:
Thank you a lots Kevin, I didn't know that it is actually possible for a landed immigrant to join the reserve.
But, joining the reserve will actually take more times  :facepalm:
The conditions are living in Canada for 5 years consecutive, having the PRESEC clearance and some few other things ~~> by the time when I lived 5 years in Canada, I might have already had my citizenship (3 years + 1 or 2 years of processing citizenship application)

And about getting some experience and then transfer, I emailed them asking about things that I can do, as a permanent resident, to prepare for my possible future in the CAF, but I haven't heard anything back though.

Best I can think of now is trying to do some volunteer at a cadets corp (again, still waiting for their answer)

Did you not read my post above?
Once you have completed this and you feel that being a member of the Lorne Scots is something you wish to do please ensure that you meet the following requirements. They are non-negotiable and no paper work will be processed until all criteria are met:

You must be a Canadian Citizen;
You must be 18, or 16 with parental consent;
You must have at least 15 high school credits;
You must be free of any legal obligations (such as a witness, jury duty, or pending trial)
That is from one of the reserve units. The criteria applies to the general enrollment into the Reserves. Sorry to burst your bubble buddy but it said they are non-negotiable.

kevincanada said:
Citizenship  must be.

I think join the reg. or res. is the same. By theory, You just need your green card. I saw british and flipino join the army without citizenship. But if you come from a country with complicated background. Then, you'd better have your citizenship and live in Canada for 5 years consecutively. Otherwise, your background check will be forever.

uzi said:
I think join the reg. or res. is the same. By theory, You just need your green card. I saw british and flipino join the army without citizenship. But if you come from a country with complicated background. Then, you'd better have your citizenship and live in Canada for 5 years consecutively. Otherwise, your background check will be forever.
There is not green card in Canada.There is Permanent Resident Card. With PR card you can not apply now.

uzi said:

Talking about complicated background country, is Vietnam being considered as a "complicated country" ???. I've tried to find the list of "scheduled country" but no result.
For the last 10 years, I only lived in 1 address in Hanoi, Vietnam. I didn't travel abroad during that time neither. However, I did live in Russia since I was 2 months old (I was born in Vietnam), and came back to Vietnam when I was 3 and a half. I wonder if that is going to effect the clearance process ???

Duc Viet said:
Talking about complicated background country, is Vietnam being considered as a "complicated country" ???. I've tried to find the list of "scheduled country" but no result.
For the last 10 years, I only lived in 1 address in Hanoi, Vietnam. I didn't travel abroad during that time neither. However, I did live in Russia since I was 2 months old (I was born in Vietnam), and came back to Vietnam when I was 3 and a half. I wonder if that is going to effect the clearance process ???
My best advice to you Duc Viet, and I am no expert so you don't need to take my advice, but I would just go to my local CFRC and sit down with a recruiter in person and ask all these questions. The recruiters jobs at the CFRC are to help potential recruits in starting the process, and they are the ones with all the information that is accurate. This method will eliminate any false information being given to you, and will guide you in making positive decisions in regards to your career pathway. Good luck!

Duc Viet said:

I don't think it matters, since you were just small kid that time. But, I do believe it's does matter how old you were when you moved to Canada. If you came here when you were 16, then your case will be easier than a guy came here in his 20s. Vietnam.......I can't and probably recruiters can't give you a simple answer. But, I don't think they treat Vietnam same as Nato, Australia or korea...........again if you came here when you were young, then it should be easy.

The simplest way is just go to local CFRC  and get to know about options for that case.Any guessing does not mean reality.
Good luck topic starter.But I think you will need to wait till getting citizenship.

Back