• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

One of the references provided by Mariomike makes a very good point about situational circumstances when addressing OCdt. Generally in a training situation where an instructor is addressing a student, the form of address should be Mr./ Mrs., but in other circumstances one should use Sir / Ma'am.

lonnieg3 said:
Today, I got an email from a MCpl whom I have never met addressing me simply as my rank acronym. Am I over reacting here
or is this something that should be a tad more formal, that I should be addressing.

I preface my comments by admitting that I am long retired from the CF and thus not familiar with the CF's current usage of electronic messaging.  I'm sure that it is more widespread and less rigid in terms of who could communicate with whom than it was when I was serving. That being said, your primary examples are related to emails.  To my aging Staff School trained mind, emails are the modern version of the memorandum, or more specifically, a round-trip memo.  It is written communication, more informal than formal and traditionally would have been addressed to the "position".  I would not have had any problem with receiving from subordinates emails addressing me as "Ops O", "Adjt", "DCO" or "CO" (all positions that I've held), or even being addressed by rank alone by someone outside my unit.  In face to face conversation, however, if someone was deliberately avoiding calling me (or someone else entitled to that courtesy) "Sir", then they would be corrected, either by me immediately or by their Sgt Major after he received a call.  Why are you only wondering if this is proper?  Why haven't you corrected those who've strayed?

Blackadder1916 said:
I preface my comments by admitting that I am long retired from the CF and thus not familiar with the CF's current usage of electronic messaging.  I'm sure that it is more widespread and less rigid in terms of who could communicate with whom than it was when I was serving. That being said, your primary examples are related to emails.  To my aging Staff School trained mind, emails are the modern version of the memorandum, or more specifically, a round-trip memo.  It is written communication, more informal than formal and traditionally would have been addressed to the "position".  I would not have had any problem with receiving from subordinates emails addressing me as "Ops O", "Adjt", "DCO" or "CO" (all positions that I've held), or even being addressed by rank alone by someone outside my unit.  In face to face conversation, however, if someone was deliberately avoiding calling me (or someone else entitled to that courtesy) "Sir", then they would be corrected, either by me immediately or by their Sgt Major after he received a call.  Why are you only wondering if this is proper?  Why haven't you corrected those who've strayed?

Good insight, and rest assured I will :) helps that I have the insight and a reference now.

A few additions.

-  As a former black beret type, we (NCMs) were educated that NCMs never should address the RSM as "RSM" but use Sir.  Officers would address the RSM or SSM as RSM/SSM.  I have also heard COs refer to the RSM as RSM or Mister Xxxxxxxx. 

-  Nowadays I call the SCWO "chief" or "sir".  Like alot of Corps, branches, and trades we have our own little terms that are acceptable within the Sqn such as Skipper, Tac, Lead, etc.  Emails inside the Sqn I refer to the crew commander as skipper but external I would use the official term for clarity. 

- OCdts did not yet hold a comission and were not saluted.  It was common to hear them addressed as OCdt Bloggins or Mr/Mrs Bloggins.

- in my current unit, if I have to email an officer, I usually start usinng their position, then first line first word is Sir/Ma'am.

eg

AFC,

Sir, this email ......

I like this format especially if there are multiple To's and CC's and makes it easy in the email to identify action and info addressee's.

Using the Memo vice letter rules for writing seems like a good rough guidance for internal/external email comms and has never backfired on me.

Now my service goes back to the end of the last ice age, but as an officer cadet and later as a junior officer in the nobody wore a name tag days, it was normal to address a WO1 (CWO) as Mister and RSM was not acceptable back then. If you did not know the gentleman's name a dragging out of "Misterrrr" or a pause or change in inflection would usually elicit something like "Mister Smith, Sir."

Hoping someone will be able to help me out.  I am looking and haven't yet found the reference on how to address ranks.  It is understood that practice that you will always address by rank (IE Good day Warrent or whatever rank) but I haven't actually found something in writing the explicitly required to do so.

I guess the quickest way would be to call everyone buddy.  Eventually at my summary trial someone would mention it to me  ;D

Thanks in advance for the assistance

The reference is: A-AD-200-000/AG-000 (THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE OF THE CANADIAN FORCES), Chapter 11 (Military Forms of Address)

You will note that nowhere does it say anything about addressing naval lieutenants or captains as "Lieutenant Navy Bloggins," or "Captain Navy Bloggins."  That's because those "ranks" don't exist!  It's simply "Lieutenant Bloggins,"or "Captain Bloggins."  Their uniforms should make it obvious that they are naval officers.

seirra said:
I am looking and haven't yet found the reference on how to address ranks.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/812.250
11 pages.

Proper way to address a WO, MWO, CWO or Officer 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/57227.50
3 pages.

Pusser said:
The reference is: A-AD-200-000/AG-000 (THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE OF THE CANADIAN FORCES), Chapter 11 (Military Forms of Address)

You will note that nowhere does it say anything about addressing naval lieutenants or captains as "Lieutenant Navy Bloggins," or "Captain Navy Bloggins."  That's because those "ranks" don't exist!  It's simply "Lieutenant Bloggins,"or "Captain Bloggins."  Their uniforms should make it obvious that they are naval officers.

A good friend of mine was serving with Op Impact last year. They gave him an ultimatum; he could either be Capt Bloggins or Lieutenant Navy Bloggins. I told him to tell them to go F*** themselves because he earned his rank. He said he would, but that the ultimatum came from a Major (or maybe even higher; can't remember, but it was higher ranking than him).

To make it stop, your friend could use a little trick I've used before: Start calling the sergeants and above PO or Chief only, and then tell them you'll stop calling them that when they get your rank right.

Of course, in your friend's case, he could have started calling the "higher ups" Major Army Bloggins or Lieutenant-colonel Air Force Bloggins: after all their uniform doesn't give away the one that they are and it can't be the same rank: they are from different elements  [:D. I bet that would have stopped the insanity right there and then.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
To make it stop, your friend could use a little trick I've used before: Start calling the sergeants and above PO or Chief only, and then tell them you'll stop calling them that when they get your rank right.

Of course, in your friend's case, he could have started calling the "higher ups" Major Army Bloggins or Lieutenant-colonel Air Force Bloggins: after all their uniform doesn't give away the one that they are and it can't be the same rank: they are from different elements  [:D. I bet that would have stopped the insanity right there and then.

Call Lieutenant Commander!  That will shut em up!

Lumber said:
A good friend of mine was serving with Op Impact last year. They gave him an ultimatum; he could either be Capt Bloggins or Lieutenant Navy Bloggins. I told him to tell them to go F*** themselves because he earned his rank. He said he would, but that the ultimatum came from a Major (or maybe even higher; can't remember, but it was higher ranking than him).

How rude.

These are Army people who we normal Army people call f%cktards :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I bet that would have stopped the insanity right there and then.

I'd take that bet.  There's something about Camp Canada that brings out the best in people.  Maybe it's the piss warm water? :dunno:

Navy doesn't have arid ranks - so no executive curl.  Quite easy to mistake a Lt(N) for an Air Force Captain.

Ditch said:
Navy doesn't have arid ranks - so no executive curl.  Quite easy to mistake a Lt(N) for an Air Force Captain.

Depends on how resourceful you are. For the sake of watching someone's head spin, I'd spend the $30.

http://cpgear.com/create_products/CF-Navy-Slip-ons?n=41312542

Ditch said:
Navy doesn't have arid ranks - so no executive curl. 

Of all the random buttons and bows things to overlook, the Navy really dropped the ball on that one.  It would have actually done something.

Ditch said:

They do now, at least some do.  I've seen 2 x LCdr with them in brown jammies.  Maybe they got them made "up the hill" at the shop next to the phone dude.

Hope you're treating your liver well!    :subbies:

Eye In The Sky said:
They do now, at least some do.  I've seen 2 x LCdr with them in brown jammies.  Maybe they got them made "up the hill" at the shop next to the phone dude.

Hope you're treating your liver well!    :subbies:

Jack wears this rank in all forms of 'combat' dress', including when serving with RM Cdo units.

Attachments

• Jack Rank.jpg
    Jack Rank.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 178
Back