• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

I've been berated for saluting someone before. "Subbies don't salute Subbies!" That is to say, A/SLts typically do not salute SLts and SLts don't typically salute Lt(N)s.

Of course, this is a fine Naval tradition, and as such is not actually outlined in any manual or regulation or order. Something similar might be the case at the unit that Gandhi is it. But I'd still say keep throwing the high fives until told otherwise by someone of that rank. IE, if a Capt tells you to not do so, I'd still give one to the next Major walking by.

gcclarke said:
But I'd still say keep throwing the high fives until told otherwise by someone of that rank. IE, if a Capt tells you to not do so, I'd still give one to the next Major walking by.

I'd second that opinion.

Gandhi said:
I was instructed more then once so far in my training that a drill faux pas is saluting while wearing a rucksack. 

Never heard of that before.  Sounds like someone took a field procedure and applied it to the parade square. Granted it can at times be difficult to stand at attention and deliver a proper salute if your ruck is too heavy or your arms are full...

/off topic rant/
gcclarke said:
I've been berated for saluting someone before. "Subbies don't salute Subbies!" That is to say, A/SLts typically do not salute SLts and SLts don't typically salute Lt(N)s.

Of course, this is a fine Naval tradition, and as such is not actually outlined in any manual or regulation or order. Something similar might be the case at the unit that Gandhi is it. But I'd still say keep throwing the high fives until told otherwise by someone of that rank. IE, if a Capt tells you to not do so, I'd still give one to the next Major walking by.

That (is?) used to be an East Coast thing - and widely enough adopted.  I was once told it was because the East Coast was the "operational" coast while the west coast was the "training coast".  Garbage.  I used to happily jack up any subbie that neglected to pay proper marks of respect to a superior officer.  The looks on some of their faces was memorable.  But pure and utter BS, nonetheless.  It was like a by-law or something...like the Halifax by-law that cars must stop when a pedestrian steps on to the road, even when nowhere close to a crosswalk.  Wait, what?  Yeah, try that in any other city -  like my current city of Toronto-  and see how that works out for you.

So yeah, if your right hand is free, bang off a salute for sure.

/rant ends/

MARS said:
/off topic rant/
That (is?) used to be an East Coast thing - and widely enough adopted.  I was once told it was because the East Coast was the "operational" coast while the west coast was the "training coast".  Garbage.  I used to happily jack up any subbie that neglected to pay proper marks of respect to a superior officer.  The looks on some of their faces was memorable.  But pure and utter BS, nonetheless.  It was like a by-law or something...like the Halifax by-law that cars must stop when a pedestrian steps on to the road, even when nowhere close to a crosswalk.  Wait, what?  Yeah, try that in any other city -  like my current city of Toronto-  and see how that works out for you.

So yeah, if your right hand is free, bang off a salute for sure.

/rant ends/

And further to that, if your right hand is not free come to attention and, if appropriate give and eyes right or left. An officer's commission does not go away just because you have a rucksack on your back or are carrying something in your hands. There are occasional operational/safety reasons not to salute (see the 48th regulator's comments above) but, in garrison and in general, salutes are obligatory.

E.R. Campbell said:
And further to that, if your right hand is not free come to attention and, if appropriate give and eyes right or left. An officer's commission does not go away just because you have a rucksack on your back or are carrying something in your hands. There are occasional operational/safety reasons not to salute (see the 48th regulator's comments above) but, in garrison and in general, salutes are obligatory.

And further to that, a personal pet peeve of mine - if a subordinate with both hands occupied (such as with a carried jacket and a gym bag) approaches you , and they crank you off a smart eyes right/left, the proper response is not a nod of the head, it's a hand salute!  :) 

Occam said:
And further to that, a personal pet peeve of mine - if a subordinate with both hands occupied (such as with a carried jacket and a gym bag) approaches you , and they crank you off a smart eyes right/left, the proper response is not a nod of the head, it's a hand salute!  :)

Very true and correct; rendering smart, correct compliments and returning them in a equally smart and correct manner is a duty for all ranks.

Well, I almost didn't salute a Major today, seeing how his building pass (which is not supposed to be worn exposed outside of buildings) was hanging right over his rank slip on.  ::)  My keen eyes caught it at the last minute.  ;)

I wish that my life was so simple that I had nothing better to worry about ;D

So, what's everyone's opinion on the 'Thanks" some officers offer when they receive your salute?  As if it were directed to them and not the rank?

Bzzliteyr said:
So, what's everyone's opinion on the 'Thanks" some officers offer when they receive your salute?  As if it were directed to them and not the rank?

Does he have a rucksack on?

Bzzliteyr said:

Nothing wrong with good manners on Her Majesty's behalf...would you rather they told you to F^&k your hat?

MM

Bzzliteyr said:

Personally its always bothered me. IE:

"Good day Sir"
"Thanks"

I was always told that it was incorrect, as the salute was a mark of respect to the commission not necessarily the individual. But at the same time I believe that's one of those customary ettiquette bits rather than a rule.

I have witnessed a Chief jacking A/Slts for doing it.

Come to think of it, after going on with 35 yrs of military service in two armies, in both peace and war, I have (to the best of my knowledge) never "chucked a boxer" (slang for paying a compliment - shy of a "G'Day Sir" or "How 'ya goin' Sir", which in 99.999% of  cases is recieved as a compliment and treated as such - afterall, there is more than one way to skin a cat) to any officer whilst rucked up, nor have I ever seen such a thing done.

With a ruck on, one is either in PT gear, or trousers w/unit PT shirt and joggers (slang for runners) and no hat etc, or kitted up along w/patrol order and skid lid (Rabintex kevlar), fully loaded up with a weapon and etc, all in a tactical environment or about to be.

Common-sense prevails. On that, methinks this tread has truly ran its course.

OWDU

Thank you all.  I'm sure someone in Ottawa will catch this and right 40 pages of rules now about it.  It just seems odd to me that with how detailed everything in the military is, there is not some place in the manuel that flat out explains when not to do drill or compliments.  I guess that's why RSMs have so much fun. 

Gandhi said:
Thank you all.  I'm sure someone in Ottawa will catch this and right 40 pages of rules now about it.  It just seems odd to me that with how detailed everything in the military is, there is not some place in the manuel that flat out explains when not to do drill or compliments.  I guess that's why RSMs have so much fun.

For the record, I am in Ottawa and I am an RSM.  So, your fears have already come true.  Now, ruck up and go do some drill!

Occam said:

Unless, its an air force base where the proper response is, "Hi, Bob. Good workout?"

Gandhi said:

There is already direction in the Drill and Ceremonial manual.

Back