• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay & Deductions Sheet / Storage Allowance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridian

Inactive
Reaction score
All,

I was able to find a fairly old topic that covered the deductions at BMQ for a basic Private, the sheet that is included apparently in the Joining Instructions (though I don't see it on CFLRS website). 

While I know where to get the gross monthly pay, I'm interested in the actual net pay; particularly because its a smaller amount. (I'd be joining CEOTP, and the pay is roughly equivalent to a BMQ Private).

The sheet is similar to the following, I'm looking for updated values, as Im sure these have changed:

Single:

Pay rate:  2421.00
Supplemental death benefits: 5.85
Employment Insurance: 47.21
CF Pension and CPP: 203.44
SISSIP/LTD: 5.07
Income Taxes: 415.51
Sales tax: 0.53
Single quarters: 74.00
Rations: 365.61

Total deductions: 1117.22

Net take home pay:  1303.78

Question 2: The CFRC Sgt told me that there are regs regarding keeping Rations & Quarters charges in-line with your current salary, and thus I should expect that deductions would be the same while at the Armour school in Gagetown/on OJT, etc...  Is this reasonable to take as a solid answer?

QUestion 3: Storage of personal effects allowance - do you pay for this up front monthly/yearly and request reimbursement, or is it billed straight to DND?

Thanks all,

Ok, maybe I can put this another way...  If at St Jean my net pay monthly is approx 1300$ under CEOTP...  it wouldn't make much sense that my net pay would decrease being posted somewhere else, (during initial MOC training) right?  I mean...  until you graduate MOC, its all shared accom, correct?

Are rations pretty much the same cost across Canada (~400/monthly?)

Your pay will increase as soon as you're posted out of Quebec. The low tax bracket in Quebec is 17% on top of the federal 15.5%, New Brunswick is 9.68%, so you'll see a raise of 7.32% when you get posted to Gagetown.

As for accom, I can't speak for Gagetown since I've never been, but as an officer you typically have your own room on all the bases I've been to. Even if you're an officer cadet. Pricing tends to be pretty similar for your rank, it will change though based on a few things, like getting your own washroom. Looking back at my pay statements, as an OCdt I was paying $60 a month for quarters and $237 for rations. When I finished BOTC II and was promoted, I was paying $123 for the same quarters and $314 for the same rations. Then I got posted to Kingston, my singles quarters were $118 a month with communal showers and washrooms and rations were $249. Then I got moved to a new building and my quarters went up to $130 a month with a shared shower/washroom and rations did their annual increase to $274. When I got to Moose Jaw, still as a 2Lt, I was paying $238 a month for a one bedroom apartment basically and $302 for rations.

So as you can see, it depends on the singles quarters, but more importantly, your rank. For the exact same quarters I paid double as a 2Lt.

Excellent, thanks for the info Inch!

How long ago was all of this?  CFLRS charges almost 400$ for rations now... the rates you are quoting are quite a bit lower, so is it safe to assume to factor in a few years of inflation to your rates?

I hadn't thought about the tax changes... thnx!

This was from 2000 to 2003. $400 a month for rations sounds about right, I haven't been on rations since early 2004 and they were creeping up to the mid $300 range. I was paying $332 a month in Mar of 2004. The reason you pay more for rations as an officer is because you usually get table service in the officer's mess, at least that's what they told me back in the day.

I really couldn't tell you what they're charging now, but the numbers in your first post seem to be about what they should be after 5 years of increases. Gagetown should have similar rates, but you'll definitely end up with more money at the end of the day due to the lower income tax rate.

Does anybody else find that making $1303 a month for what we'll be doing is a little outrageous. I mean, I might be missing something here but, anybody could make that working full time at Zellers. Believe me, i've done it. I guess with not having to spend any of it and, having everything provided for you (after deductions) is a bonus. I'd just like to hear someone else opinion that has been through it. Is there any other costs like gun cleaner, boot polish and, laundry detergent or is that all provided?..

No, none of that "extra" stuff is included.  I was unaware that Zellers paid $15 an hour, offered the same pension as the CF, gave you all your uniforms / kit for free, free medical care, relocation expenses, cost of living allowance, seperation pay, free gym membership, (did I mention free medical care?) travel opportunities, and a way of life second to none.  And after one year's service, they bump you up to $19 an hour (36k a year) and then again to $23 an hour (43k a year) after the next year?  ::)

In all seriousness, 30k a year for someone who's just graduated high school at 18 should be a fair chunk of change, if managed properly.  Should you stay in, the pay continues along with your employability with the CF.

T

Well yes I guess that post was a little pretentious. 160 x $8 is $1280 but after taxes it comes nowhere close.  All of those things you mentioned are terrific and, I can't wait to get in. I guess I should really think about something befor I make stupid posts but, thanks for the info.

Don't forget about the 20 days of paid leave per year plus all stat holidays as a starting benefit, which goes up to 25 paid leave days per year after 4 years in service.  Plus the fact that you require no training or prerequisites to get in - the CF will take you straight from high school and teach you everything you need to know for your trade.  Don't just think of it in Zellers terms, but as a whole - it's a good deal; I challenge anyone to find better out in "the world" when you consider all the factors and not just money - what kind of vacation plan does Zellers have?  Ask yourself what your free time is worth?

You also won't be an OCdt (or Pte) forever - if you learn and meet the standard, you will get promoted, with the attendant pay raises that this entails.  Anyone remember the study that came out a few years ago that showed the average CF Corporal made more money than the average university graduate in Ontario?  Despite some of its challenges, I think the CF is a good deal for all concerned, if you can live the lifestyle and put up with the challenges of service.

CSA 105

Indeed, I was hoping at least this topic could stay on track - every time I ask questions about this it gets hijacked and closed *sigh*.

IN any event, I think Inch gave me a good guestimate; if anyone has solid numbers, thats all else Id be looking for, my buddy awaiting CAP right now hasn't gotten a statement yet to tell him how much he's paying at CTC Gagetown.

You do have to pay for haircuts, mess dues, detergent, new running shoes, underwear, kiwi crap, misc personal toiletries, and etc as needed, but all that isnt much more than 50-60$/month.  Whatever's left is yours to spend on drinking, vacation time (When you get it) or paying off those debts you have/saving for a house.    Since DP1 takes about 2-3 years right now depending on enrollment timings, you have a few years to wait untill you need to worry about a house, cars, etc. ;)

In all fairness, 36 k or so is a reasonable rate for an 18 year old out of high school... the issue is that, from what I see from the posters here, most of the CEOTP'rs are not 18.  A lot of us seem to be mid-late 20s early 30s, and from those IVe talked to, are making already 45-65k/year (including myself).

I recognize that the forces are simply paying us less than the DEOs because we don't have the university degree... and at the very least, we -apparently- get retrograded and backpaid the difference for most of the months anyway once we prove we're worth it (complete DP1).

I would just suggest that if any reviews in NDHQ go on to figure out if CEOTP is specifically working, that perhaps a pay review might help increase the applications from experienced supervisors and managers who would love to get a degree part time (or are already doing so), but who are also young and crazy enough to enroll into a brand new career in the Forces.  Many employers count experience in ratio to university degrees, at least to get your foot in the door. I have no problems getting my degree - I'd just be a lot happier getting it while serving my country.  Just a thought, and its only my perspective (and, I'm applying anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back