• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Past issue exclude me from applying to the CF?

Cory75

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering applying for a position as a Radar Tech with the Navy, but I am curious about my chances of actually being considered. I'm 35 now, but back when I was 21 I had enrolled with the Reserves (infantry) was accepted and went to basic training. However about 3 weeks in I started having knee pain from all the running and marching..I had previously injured my knees lifting weights but didn't know the actual cause/source of the pain. I saw a doctor on the base and was told that I was fine in his opinion. After another week or two with my knees still hurting I quit and left convinced that I couldn't physically do it. Now as it turns out my knee problem had a very simple solution. My leg muscles simply were developing unevenly causing my knee's tracking to be misaligned, and hence the pain. Easily rectified with some simple exercises. My knees are fine 100% these days...

But given the fact that I quit basic once before will that automatically exclude me from applying?

Thanks for the reply Kat. I certainly hope so, I would love the opportunity to join and serve with the Navy. Just have to do some upgrading (that I'm about to start) to get my math up to speed before I apply. I'll be applying in the Fall. Hoping it goes well!

I know someone who VR'd during basic, waited like 8 months, re-applied and got back in no problem.  You'll be fine  :)

Good luck!

Cory75,
I would advise you to go talk to a recruiter if you haven't yet to ensure you get the right math. Go, open your file now and start the process, get your CFAT done etc so once you finish your math upgrade you will be partially processed and it won't take as long. Best of luck.

Thanks Pokiey, that's reassuring!

CFR FCS: Thanks for the tip. I've spoken to a recruiter, but only about the generalities of the Radar Tech trade.  I'll go in and get the process rolling on Monday. And find out about what specific math course they'll be looking for.

Thanks.

Hey man...I took the pre-academic math course for the Radar tech trade.....if you have grade 10 or 11 academic math, you'll be just fine.  The math is the easy part of the course. 
Cheers.

Thanks CallofDuty. I do have Grade10 math, but its been a long time since I've used anything other than basic arrhythmic, and to be honest don't have a lot of faith in my current math skills. I've signed up to take a math11 course to get myself back up to speed with it.

If math is the easy part of the course what are the more difficult area's? I'd like to get myself reasonably prepared so I do well at it.

Hi there,

There is more to the answer to your question than anyone above has posted, and is has to do with what type (or category) of release you were administratively given the first time you left/quit.

I won't go into the minutia detail of what a 5F Release means, etc, but for ease of understanding, know that when someone leaves the CF a code is attached to that person that follows them around.  These codes range from "this guy was perfect and we had no problems with him" through "this guy left a bit of a sour taste in our mouth so you may want to do your homework" all the way to "this guy was a nightmare and you should never hire him".

You were probably never aware of what classification you were given, and I know that because I wasn't told either.

Unless you had one of the worst classifications you should be fine upon re-entering.  If you have one of the middle ones, typically given for things like not handing in all of your kit or simply quitting and not going any more, you will likely still get accepted but have to explain your situation and why you are more reliable/mature now.

Hopefully this helps.

Petamocto said:
when someone leaves the CF a code is attached to that person that follows them around.  These codes range from "this guy was perfect and we had no problems with him" through "this guy left a bit of a sour taste in our mouth so you may want to do your homework" all the way to "this guy was a nightmare and you should never hire him".

You were probably never aware of what classification you were given, and I know that because I wasn't told either.

Presumably the OP has a Certificate of Service that shows whether or not he was honourably released.  If that's the case then it's probably safe to say that his release item wasn't one of the nastier ones.

Cory75 said:
If math is the easy part of the course what are the more difficult area's? I'd like to get myself reasonably prepared so I do well at it.
  Hey Cory....do you have much experience with circuits?  If so, then it shouldn't be a problem.  Basic circuits are easy....direct current, etc.  When you get into AC things get trickier, add in diodes..transistors ...you get the picture.  There is a high failure rate in the training.  You have to extremely dedicated on being in class all day, and to be able to do 2-3 hours of homework in the evening.

Unfortunately I was one of the ones that didn't make it through the ql3....not proud of it, but with a wife that worked evenings, and young children I fell behind too much.  Hate to make excuses, but it happened.......but I learned a hell of a lot while I was there. 

I have quite a few tech buddies that absolutely love their jobs....so it's all worth it in the end.  Try checking out www.allaboutcircuits.com  That will give you an idea of what to expect.
COD :cdn: :cdn:

I went in and tried getting the process rolling this morning. But I couldn't get too far. I'm not 100% sure if the info I got there was completely accurate to be honest. The recruiter I spoke too at the front desk was Air Force by the look of his uniform and didn't seem to know much about the Radar Tech trade. At first he told me that if I was talking about the Navy then I must be referring to Sonar Tech not Radar. When I convinced him that Radar Tech is on the CF Recruitment website as being a Navy trade he looked it up and said that the qualifications are the same as they are for Sonar and that I need advanced high school math and physics?

I did try and get my application started while I upgrade and he said no unfortunately. He would only look at getting me started when I had all the pre-reqs completed and in hand. So it looks like I'll have to wait until after I complete my upgrading to go any further and see if they'll accept my application or not.

CallofDuty: thanks for the link..no I don't have any experience with circuits, but I will start working through the material on that website to get up to speed with them.

....there are 3 types of techs...Acoustic, Radar, and Communications.....  The pre-reqs are all the same as all 3 types take the same course together.  They only split up at the end of course for your equipment phase.

Back