• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passport Issues

foerestedwarrior

Inactive
Reaction score
A respose sooner rather then later would be appreciated.

I lost my passport a few months back. I am now filling out a Statutory Declaration that it is lost. It needs to be signed on the bottom by a "qualified official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration(ex. Commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, ect.)

Now I work for a Maj. that is also a CGA(dont know what that is, but he says it lets him sign normal passport forms all nice nice). He called passport canada and they didnt know. He doenst want to sign it just because he doenst want me to drive all the way to toronto to the passport office just to get shut down.

So my question. I know a commissioned officer CAN take oaths of alligance, though does that matter in this case. I was told by the Borden MP's that yes, the Maj assumed he would be able to. Though passport canada doesnt know. Can this Maj do it?

Read this to get it from the horse's mouth:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/guarantor.aspx?lang=e

Specifically:

"Professional accountant (APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA, RPA)"

Provided his CGA dues are paid and he is a member in good standing he can sign.

Thanks, I am not 100% still though. Because this is for a lost passport, not just for applying for one. It is different like I posted in the initial post. Need someone who can take an oath legally.

If you feel more comfortable, go see your parish priest or your padre.... they can take your confession and sign the form :)

Most law offices have a staff member that are Commissioners for oaths and they usually charge 20.00 to sign off on a form.. If you are concerned, pay the 20 and get a Commissioner to do it.  Or go to the local courthouse and ask the clerk to have the JP sign it.  If you bring them coffee, they usually do it for free. 

I had my OC sign off on the same form? he was a major?
Greg

Barrie PS will have a Civilian employee who works as a Commish.. Just drop in and get her/him to sign off on oath before your trip to the big smoke..  Also you can have it put onfile as missing etc if you haven't done so with the MPs..

Cheers

Proud Forester said:
So my question. I know a commissioned officer CAN take oaths of allegiance, though does that matter in this case. I was told by the Borden MP's that yes, the Maj assumed he would be able to. Though passport Canada doesn't know. Can this Maj do it?

Yes, as a Commissioned Officer your Major can sign the "Declaration of Lost, damaged or destroyed etc" form, just as he can sign the Passport Application. 

Note, the new Application (dated 2005) doesn't mentioned Commissioned Officers but they are still able to sign the application.  If you still have doubts contact Official Travel at NDHQ.

PoPo

Hold on a sec...  As for the application, only your CO can sign as a guarantor, you're asking about someone who can notarize the form.  This NEEDS to be a notary public, lawyer, etc.  There is a huge difference between a guarantor and  someone who can give a solemn declaration.  If you have any further questions, ask away, I used to work for them.  :)

T

An officer on full time service[/b is usually deemed to be a commisioner of oaths for any province, this may vary as to rank, some Provincial Acts, may require that the officer administering the oath, or swearing the afadavit be a senior officer.  DAOD 7000-1 refers. 

A statutory declaration is a form of affidavit, it is a document that is sworn to be true in front of a person authorized to take your oath.  This is so that there are some legal repercussions if a person files a false declaration under oath.  The courthouse in your are should have a Commissioner of Oaths, usually the secretary of the Justice of the Peace.  Police stations also have Commissioner of Oaths.  However, I would call the courthouse or police station to verify the time person is working and if they are available to take the declaration so you don't waste time traveling for nothing.  Most lawyers offices or travel agents may also have Public Notaries that can sign the statutory declaration for a small fee.

You statutory declaration can be prepared by you and should read something along the lines,  I solemnly swear and do make an oath that... I lost my Canadian Passport number 1234546 on [date], etc    Your Signature  + Signature of Commissioner of Oaths for the Province of ....  The Commisioner or Notary will have an official stamp or seal added to your document.  Dated and Municipality  eg. City of Ottawa

xFusilier said:
DAOD 7000-1 refers. 

I'm not telling him what the DAOD's say.  He can look that up on his own.  I'm telling him what the passport office will most likely say based on my experience working there, and they will most likely say "no".  It usually costs around $10 to get it done by one of the applicable professions listed on the PPT 132 form.  If you walk in to the office and say "well, DAOD 7000-1 states that a full-time officer can sign" and the ppt office says no, it's a wasted trip.  Good hunting.  :)

Thanks for all the advice. Ended up getting a call from my dads friend who is a lawyer last night(I left a message two days ago with him). He signed it, all is good. Again ,thanks for the help though.

The DAOD's don't say a full time officer can sign, did you even bother to read the thing? The Ontario Evidence Act states that an officer of the CF, on full time service is de jure a Commisioner of Oaths.  So if someone at the passport office rejects you application there are in violation of the Passport Order and you ask to talk to the Manager at the Office and point out the legal details which are quoted in the accompanying DOAD.  FWIW from my experience I have gotten numerous passports using an officer on full time service in his capacity as a commisioner of oaths as a guarantor, and have also done the same to obtain statutory declarations for things such as proof of residence.

Torlyn said:
I'm not telling him what the DAOD's say.  He can look that up on his own.  I'm telling him what the passport office will most likely say based on my experience working there, and they will most likely say "no". 

Thanks Torlyn for coming out.  You are passing on information from your experience, and others are passing on their experience in dealing with these matters from long experience in the Military.  Both have holes in their arguments, and I am sure that what you experienced may have been true in most cases for civilians, but honestly, I don't think you have enough military experience to argue against what has been the policy on who is a guarantor.  My passport, which is still valid, along with my wife's, were signed by my CO.  

You will also find the the Green Passports we all get on Tour, are not taken down town to a Lawyer's office, a priest, or any of your other 'qualified' persons listed, but signed off at the Unit.

Back