• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
Thanks guys for all the support. I'm not to scared about the physical side and more. A little scared about the mental side though and how I am going to convince my brain its OK to jump out of a plane. I guess Ill just have to not think about what I'm going for the first jump. After that I should get the hang of it.   Thanks again for all the help guys.   :salute:

:cdn:

Listen bud, when it is your turn at the door, you're going to be so highly trained, your not going to know how NOT to jump.  Your adrenaline is going much faster than your brain, you will see green, hear go, and be halfway to the ground before you realised you jumped out of the aircraft.

I'm signing up for the PARA course soon.... I need some advice on the training that I need to do before going up there. I run alot in the mornings and work greatly on my pushups and abs. I've got gold fitness but i know that don't mean sh*t. I need some advice on weight training, because apperantly I need to train all my muscles to be able to survive Pre-Para. Anyone have any suggestions on which muscle groups I should work on or anything? I'm well aware that 7 chinups is the minimal requirements, as well as 40 pushups, the mile run in less than 7:30m, and the 31 situps. I know these requirements are simple, but the pre-para course will break you. I am currently working on PLFs (Parachute Landing Falls) off my shed.. one of my friends that did PARA has taught me those.. but I still need some advice on the physical training. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

by singing up do you mean applied and got accepted for this year because if you didn't then its next year.

All of this has been covered in the past. Extensively.

I suggest you do a search before posting anything,

cheers

Non of the other PARA forum topics covered weight training, but covered what's required and how to practice for it, such as doing chinups and holding them and crap like this. My question differed.

Good luck for all of you . I have one question do you have do be an army cadet to take this corse.

just make sure you have good upper body strength.  be fit.  thats all.

Just go over the fitness test  by self you take for the badges.  :akimbo: :rocket: :dontpanic: :bullet: :skull: :mg: :sniper:

Alright, I'll reply (my 2nd post here ever).

Are they still holding the pre-para course in Petawawa with RCR instructors? It's crazy to think I did my jump course almost 10 years ago. Here's what I did:

I started training almost 10 months before. Started with weight lifting (for power and strength) for the first 4-5 months and then switched over to more endurance and cardio training. Run as much as you can because that's the killer. It's all about the distance you can run. Speed is secondary.  For pushups, what I would do is every time I went into my bedroom, I would do 15 pushups. After a week, go up to 20...etc. Try to find a chinup bar or tree branch somewhere and make sure you can do about 12-15 at least if you're a big guy (like I was). Do situps regularily of course. You can probably get away with doing less and still pass but it's a lot more fun if you're ready (not that you'll be a 100% ready no matter what).

In all honestly, the running is most important because you're running in the morning and afternoon for long distances. Pushups are important too because you'll get in sh!t a lot.

to answer your question, they do the pre para in Connaught, and im not shure if it is RCR instructors for ptre-para,

Thanks alot for all the replies.. ill work on everythin...

Well, I'm kind of jumping onto the tail end of a rather legnthy topic, but what I was really wondering was if anybody has heard about air cadets attending Basic Para.   The reason I'm asking (asides the fact that its something I realy want to do) is because I've been told by a number of past para cadets and a few senior CIC officers that they have one open slot for 1 air cadet across canada.   This being said I haven't had any luck in trackinging down confirmed information on this or how I should go about submitting an application.   (Also it seems that one of the pre reqs : NSCE can only be done through the army element.   Therefore if anybody can enlighten me on this topic i would really appreciate it.

F/Sgt. Josh Reid   517 RCAC

No, if you want to jump out of airplanes go green

do u ever hear of army cadets getting their pilot licenses??

i gues the only way an air cadet could get their wings is if when the y turn 16 they join the reserves and stay as a cadet as well.  if at 16 you join the QOR for example, you could have your wings by the time you are 17-18 and if you have them in the reserves you could wear them on your cadet uniform as well.

You can't wear jump wings on an Air cadet uniform. I was talking to my CO and he said you can't.

if you have your jump wings you can wear them on your uniform...  just like if i have my pilots wings i could have worn them if i was a cadet... the jump course is recognised by the CF and if you have the course you should wear them...  that is your CO not allowing it.  not the system, to what i understand

hopefully airborne soon said:
it is n army cadet only course ried.. sorry

Untrue. 1 air cadet and 1 sea cadet go each year.

hopefully airborne soon said:
if i have my pilots wings i could have worn them if i was a cadet...

Not true. The ones permitted to wear the wings are those that have completed the course through cadets, or, those that completed the licence requirements privatly, but devote time to either work at a glider famil site, or take cadets up for power famils.

Back