• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid Education: General Questions

averagejoe1993

Inactive
Reaction score
So I’ve been searching through these forums over the last couple weeks and I had a question regarding an ROTP application.

I wanted to ask this anonymously.

So here’s some background. I’m 25 and looking to submit an application for ROTP. I had ok grades in high school but nothing top notch.  I had a French immersion program so it wouldn’t take much to become bilingual.  After high school I attended community college. I was unable to finish my diploma because of numerous issues at home. My father got hurt at work and became disabled and lost his job. He tried to fight it but had no luck. So I dropped out of college because I had to work 50-60 hours
a week to support my household. I only have 6 credits to go and I am planning on finishing them off in the next year. 

I know I missed the boat this year but I want to apply for the ROTP program for next year. My grades were in the 70’s in college.
But like I said I could barely attend class because of what was going on at home and having to work so much. 

During the last few years I have succumbed to credit card debt because of my family problems. I am currently paying off a consumer proposal for the debt.  It will be paid off by the end of the year.

I have plenty of things to put on my application to make it competitive. Some sports, charity work, manager experience at work.  I am an indigenous person part of the metis tribe but I don’t know if that matters.

My first question is would I be eligible for ROTP with the consumer proposal on my record?

My second question is, am I just wasting my time thinking about this application?  I have a buddy in the military and he told me about the rotp program.  I want to have a long career and serving my country would just be a bonus.

My final question is should I wait until I have my college finished later this year to apply for the rotp program.  Or should I go in and talk to a recruiter now?

Sorry about typing so much it was just a lot to get out.  Thanks in advance.

averagejoe1993 said:
Or should I go in and talk to a recruiter now?

I would talk to a Recruiter.

Hi, I am a 9th grader about to enter 10th grade in Calgary (high school here doesn't begin till 10th).

Having discovered the ROTP program and RMC, I have become extremely adamant on attending the Royal Military College of Canada for my university education. However, reading most answers, I have become quite nervous for my own chances attending the RMC. Therefore, I was wondering what I should do to maximize my chances for acceptance, how my chances would be if I hypothetically applied the next day (in terms of extracurriculars), and of course one day serving my great country.

Currently, what I can put on my resume minus my grades (they're good, I generally get 4's [basically 100% since the only possible grades are 1, 2, 3 and 4] on all my subjects minus Band and French [mandatory in my school]). I am doing partial IB next year with two core subjects, English and Social/History, and two electives, French and Business.

I have also been a part of my school's student council for in total three years (grades 5-6, as well as currently in grade 9).

I've done track since grade 7, and have also been on my school's soccer team this year. I plan on joining a multitude of clubs in high school including Debate, Model UN, etc, as well as starting a sport like Fencing.

I also do Cadets out of school (just began this year, wish I began earlier :( ) and have been a part of my cultural Sunday school as a performer since birth essentially. I also plan on getting a part-time job soon. However, I do not have a single volunteer hour under my belt, nor am I a part of any sports clubs or have participated in many before. Physically, I'm not the strongest either, though I have begun working out everyday ever since I discovered the ROTP program.

I'm also a low-income first gen immigrant to Canada with Tibetan ancestry. My family was among the first to be resettled in Alberta in the 70's when Pierre Trudeau brought us over here, and we've been here ever since. I'm highly motivated and I will do anything to see that I attend an institution as prestigious as the RMC. I will stop at nothing for it! Sorry if my post sounded a bit pretentious as well, I wasn't very sure on what to post on here since this is my first ever post.

Hey there bud.

Good on you, you sound like you’re on the right track. Cadets will definitely be useful to you when the recruiting office sees that you’ve already been introduced to military lifestyle. Plus, already knowing drills and maintaining uniform makes basic training a lot easier. Just don’t tell anyone at basic that you were a cadet. They’ll tease you and challenge you.

There will be lots of volunteer opportunities for you in cadets. Don’t worry about it too much. As for job experience, they don’t have too high of an expectation for kids coming straight out of high school.

Since you’re a visible minority (anyone other than Caucasian and First Nations), you’ll also have a better chance of getting in too. (Employment Equity Target)

Just get decent grades. Since you’re going into grade 10 right now, focus on learning your math. When you do your CFAT, as long as you do well, you’ll have the opportunity to become an officer. The recruiting office should tell you that anyone who chooses to become an officer will be automatically enrolled into RMC. However, sometimes it’s full so you might want to apply for a civilian university as well, just in case. I’m basically just regurgitating what the recruiting office told me when I was applying. Except a few months later, I decided to drop out of uni and apply as a weapons tech instead of an MPO because I thought it’d be more fun.

Anyways, good luck to your future endeavours and stick with cadets. And definitely go to summer camp. Try to go for a 6 week instructors course so you know what it feels like being away from home, doing drill, making hospital corners and etc. You also get to learn leadership skills there.

GenericJackal said:
Hey there bud.

Good on you, you sound like you’re on the right track. Cadets will definitely be useful to you when the recruiting office sees that you’ve already been introduced to military lifestyle. Plus, already knowing drills and maintaining uniform makes basic training a lot easier. Just don’t tell anyone at basic that you were a cadet. They’ll tease you and challenge you.

There will be lots of volunteer opportunities for you in cadets. Don’t worry about it too much. As for job experience, they don’t have too high of an expectation for kids coming straight out of high school.

Since you’re a visible minority (anyone other than Caucasian and First Nations), you’ll also have a better chance of getting in too.

Just get decent grades. Since you’re going into grade 10 right now, focus on learning your math. When you do your CFAT, as long as you do well, you’ll have the opportunity to become an officer. The recruiting office should tell you that anyone who chooses to become an officer will be automatically enrolled into RMC. However, sometimes it’s full so you might want to apply for a civilian university as well, just in case. I’m basically just regurgitating what the recruiting office told me when I was applying. Except a few months later, I decided to drop out of uni and apply as a weapons tech instead of an MPO because I thought it’d be more fun than being a pig.

Anyways, good luck to your future endeavours and stick with cadets. And definitely go to summer camp. Try to go for a 6 week instructors course so you know what it feels like being away from home, doing drill, making hospital corners and etc. You also get to learn leadership skills there.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm just wondering though as well, what would be the least/most competitive trades to get into, and what would be some things to seriously consider at the moment? What were you doing at the time that got you into the ROTP program? Again, thanks!  ;D

ChushiGangdruk said:
I'm just wondering though as well, what would be the least/most competitive trades to get into

Do not even consider that. Pick an occupation that you honestly think that you would enjoy doing for your whole career. You do not want to be stuck in an occupation that you may grow to hate simply because it appeared to be "easy".

I suspect, based upon the nature of your questions, that you have yet to do any research on this fine Site. I suggest that you do so. Take your time, and be thorough. You'll learn far more that way, and likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

Whatever you ultimately decide to choose will be competitive and will require effort. You may as well start now.

So far, though, you seem to be on a pretty decent track.

Qapla.

Welcome to Army.ca, GenericJackal

Aside from some not bad advice given, two things stand out:

GenericJackal said:
Since you’re a visible minority (anyone other than Caucasian and First Nations), you’ll also have a better chance of getting in too.

No.

GenericJackal said:
I decided to drop out of uni and apply as a weapons tech instead of an MPO because I thought it’d be more fun than being a pig.

You will not not not use such language again here, or insult people.

Clear?

Loachman said:
Do not even consider that. Pick an occupation that you honestly think that you would enjoy doing for your whole career. You do not want to be stuck in an occupation that you may grow to hate simply because it appeared to be "easy".

I suspect, based upon the nature of your questions, that you have yet to do any research on this fine Site. I suggest that you do so. Take your time, and be thorough. You'll learn far more that way, and likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

Whatever you ultimately decide to choose will be competitive and will require effort. You may as well start now.

So far, though, you seem to be on a pretty decent track.

Qapla.

Thank you sir, the main reason why I posted this is because I had actually already searched the Canadian Forces reddit, Google, the army.ca forum, essentially almost every nook and cranny I could find for info on the RMC. I even looked to YouTube for people who undertook the ROTP program, etc, and found only limited info on most of the sites.

It's mostly the self-doubt inside me that makes me wonder if I would be a good candidate. I read that most people would need things like varsity sports (or sports in general), etc, to even be a competitive applicant, and since I don't have many options at the moment I wanted to see what would be good and if my current extracurriculars are fine.

By the trades part, I believe I should have given some background information. Coming from a low-income background, I want to maximize my current chances to the maximum as this shot will be the best I may ever receive to provide for my family. My top trade choices would be Logistics (1), Intelligence (2), and Signals (3), but given how competitive the latter two are, I want to ensure that I receive a spot at the very least in the ROTP program. I would be fine with any of the three anyway, and if I could, I would include Engineer Officer and Infantry Officer (4/5), but I guess it's only top three.

Once again, thank you! :salute: Would you have anything else to recommend, though?

Have you researched those occupations (the proper term) on here? Read as much as you can while you have the time. There's a lot of good advice and insight here. That's my major recommendation. So much varies with the individual.

And please do not call me "sir". We are rankless on this Site, and I no longer hold any anyway.

I wish you the best.

Loachman said:
Welcome to Army.ca, GenericJackal

Aside from some not bad advice given, two things stand out:

No.

You will not not not use such language again here, or insult people.

Clear?

That was my bad, I have revised my answer.

Thank-you.

And I stand corrected regarding my other point, due to a recent development: https://army.ca/forums/threads/130233/post-1569138/topicseen.html#new

Loachman said:
Have you researched those occupations (the proper term) on here? Read as much as you can while you have the time. There's a lot of good advice and insight here. That's my major recommendation. So much varies with the individual.

And please do not call me "sir". We are rankless on this Site, and I no longer hold any anyway.

I wish you the best.

Yes, I have been reading up a fair bit and as well as which occupations would translate the best outside of the military world as well. Logistics Officer, my first choice, appealed the most as I read that it most well translated to the civilian world as a Business Administration job, which would be my preferred major anyway.

And sorry for calling you sir, its just a formality I've always used for people. :)

Loachman said:
Thank-you.

And I stand corrected regarding my other point, due to a recent development: https://army.ca/forums/threads/130233/post-1569138/topicseen.html#new

This is what I despise. A system that will be pushed up more due to someone's political preferences over the merits of a person and what they truly can provide for our nation.

While this doesnt affect me (I'd hope, as it just said white males), I wouldn't be surprised if this extended to Asian males, or males in general in the future.

What a joke of a thinly veiled, politically motivated, PC culture lie.

ChushiGangdruk said:
This is what I despise. A system that will be pushed up more due to someone's political preferences over the merits of a person and what they truly can provide for our nation.

While this doesnt affect me (I'd hope, as it just said white males), I wouldn't be surprised if this extended to Asian males, or males in general in the future.

What a joke of a thinly veiled, politically motivated, PC culture lie.

I'll grant you some leeway as you are still (legally) a child and have a little time to develop into a thinking adult, but if you believe that expressing such opinions will endear you to the average military member or those who frequent this site, then you may be disappointed.  On reflection, I wonder if you actually read the link in Loach's post or analysed the responses in that thread.  Perhaps you could explain (in the other thread, to keep it on topic) why this is "a joke of a thinly veiled, politically motivated, PC culture lie".

I'd have thought that the story would (as it should) elicit a "so what, old news" but I guess there are still those around who haven't changed with the times.  By the way, I served back in the days of yore when this was an actual issue, thankfully we (the CF as an organization) grew up.  Maybe it hasn't reached the optimal stage yet when measures such as described remain necessary but it's getting there.  If there are applicants (especially those who want to be officers) who can't accept the law or understand the measures needed to implement same then perhaps they should seek another line of work.

Blackadder1916 said:
I'll grant you some leeway as you are still (legally) a child and have a little time to develop into a thinking adult, but if you believe that expressing such opinions will endear you to the average military member or those who frequent this site, then you may be disappointed.  On reflection, I wonder if you actually read the link in Loach's post or analysed the responses in that thread.  Perhaps you could explain (in the other thread, to keep it on topic) why this is "a joke of a thinly veiled, politically motivated, PC culture lie".

I'd have thought that the story would (as it should) elicit a "so what, old news" but I guess there are still those around who haven't changed with the times.  By the way, I served back in the days of yore when this was an actual issue, thankfully we (the CF as an organization) grew up.  Maybe it hasn't reached the optimal stage yet when measures such as described remain necessary but it's getting there.  If there are applicants (especially those who want to be officers) who can't accept the law or understand the measures needed to implement same then perhaps they should seek another line of work.

My bad and apologies if I came off the wrong way. I read the article and the connection I made was that if a position was going to be closed to one demographic but then open to another based solely on something like the gender of a person, I just believe that it's wrong in that its closing the opportunities one may have based just because you are part of that demographic.

It's likely just me misinterpreting it, though.

Blackadder1916 said:

I'm not legally a child nor am I in another line of work. Please, don't grant me any leniency, let me know how you really feel. I can't wait to hear how discrimination is okay as long as it's towards white males, and how diversity is great because you get a variety of viewpoints, unless of course those viewpoints don't align with your own then we should just go find another line of work.

If you can't see the difference between positive action and explicit, government-sanctioned discrimination towards a particular skin colour / gender, and you think everyone who can simply shouldn't be in the CAF, perhaps it's you who should join the other thread and speak up... rather than lipping off about it all over here to someone who is legally a child.

There are other threads for this. Back on topic.

Staff

Hello my name is Ricardo Compres I'm from Costa Rica but I was born in Canada, I'm 20 years old, I did 12 years of highschool at Costa Rica, the 21 of January 2019 I moved to live with my father here at Canada with the idea to enter in the RMC with ROTP program so I wanted some guidance about the steps I need to follow to enter in this program the only thing that I know is that I need to do the SAT test and also the SAT subject tests for engineering but since my dad have some issues with money so I started attend the frenchification course and also I started working part time and now that I have some money I want to get more focused in this matter.
Thank you, any questions regarding info go ahead ask me.

https://www.rmc-cmr.ca/en/registrars-office/regular-officer-training-plan-rotp
Where to Start

How to apply for enrolment in the CAF and admission to RMC

All students interested in pursuing full-time undergraduate degree programmes offered at RMC must apply online through the Canadian Armed Forces’ website www.forces.ca, by selecting ‘Apply Now.’ Applicants are encouraged to start their application in September of their final year of high school. The deadline for applications is January 31st of the year of enrolment. Depending on availability and screening requirements, applications submitted after this date may still be considered.

Information concerning the application process can be obtained from any Canadian Forces Recruiting Center (CFRC) at 1-800-856-8488 or at www.forces.ca by selecting the ‘Find a Recruiter’ tab.
1.Applicants should indicate when they apply that they are interested in the ROTP.
2.Applicants will receive an email from CAF Recruiting confirming the application has been received and is being processed.  Candidates will receive further instructions with the next steps of their application process.
3.Applicants are encouraged to check your spam folder on a regular basis.
4.The deadline for application for ROTP is the 31st of January.  For further information please contact Canadian Armed Forces Recruiting or call 1-800-856-8488.

Academic Prerequisites
https://www.rmc-cmr.ca/en/registrars-office/academic-prerequisites

Ok thank you, I have done everything in that guide but since my grades are outside Canada they ask me to make equivalences and they show me some places where I can do that, that is where i get lost because I don't understand fully and the process so if you have a place where I can send my grades or go personally to get my equivalences that will help me alot.

Back