• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing a Ruck

Muttenthaler said:
On basic, my WO used to sing Barbie Girl to the whole platoon. Then some song about "...enlisted newfoundlanders, come follow me", then he would start singing Great Big Sea...

My mind was gone after 10 k.

Great Big Sea - Recruiting Sergeant A tribute to The Blue Puttees.

- mod edited to fix link -

Few years ago a bunch of officers from the Hasty Ps went out on a "teambuilding" PT day including a ruck march. The guy driving the safety vehicle proudly announced he had burned a CD for the walk he played from the van he followed us in.  It included The Proclaimers - 500 Miles and The Tea Party - Walking Wounded. And several other songs in a similar vein I can't remember.

A perfect tune to step off to: Black Label Society - Fire it up

However I don't mind just chatting, even though the conversation usually ends up regarding some type of food  ;D

We sang a few things for a short bit of time during out BFT this summer in sunny St-Jean but the recurring theme was Taylor Swift.  Don't judge.  ;D

Music? If its a BFT, which I did one yesterday, the music is the feet hitting the ground.

If marching with rucks in the field? No music except the chatter of the PRR or radios.

I remember singing this one once on a ruck....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

;D

I prefer pre-dawn or night marches so that no one cares about my high speed boots, unbloused pants, gucci gloves and Ipod...

Music wise, I am all about the Tool or other hard rock while on the march...Rammstein isn't bad either.

PJGary said:
A perfect tune to step off to: Black Label Society - Fire it up

However I don't mind just chatting, even though the conversation usually ends up regarding some type of food  ;D

Or attractive women  ;D

I think a metronome would actually be a good idea.  Better than checking my watch every 500m to make sure I'm still on pace.  Although it would probably boost the insanity level through the roof after an hour or so of constant ticking.

Robert0288 said:
I think a metronome would actually be a good idea.  Better than checking my watch every 500m to make sure I'm still on pace.  Although it would probably boost the insanity level through the roof after an hour or so of constant ticking.

I use Motion-X on my iPhone - pumps my playlist through my earphones with an occasional update on pacing.

RDJP said:
mp3's???  WTH???

They're marching with iPods now?  ??? ??? ???

On my last BFT there was a new-ish guy that took a business call on his phone....

God forbid any of you have to pull yourselves away from your funky-fresh tunes to assist and motivate anyone else on this march of yours. as standards are reduced and have now become the norm, so has the lack of professional and mental discipline demonstrated by soldiers. last i knew we trained as we fight......hope some of you have no infantry/combat ambitions. Timmy doesn't train to music.

godeep said:
God forbid any of you have to pull yourselves away from your funky-fresh tunes to assist and motivate anyone else on this march of yours. as standards are reduced and have now become the norm, so has the lack of professional and mental discipline demonstrated by soldiers. last i knew we trained as we fight......hope some of you have no infantry/combat ambitions. Timmy doesn't train to music.

Begging your pardon, sir, this is the 21st Century. We don't "BFT" to contact. We advance to contact without music.
We used to sing on marches in 1975. It was great fun and built morale.
Personally, I could care less if a troop uses his /her iPod on marches so long as they are not part of a formed body of troops. Once  you are fallen in the iPods are verboten. On your own - go for it.

godeep said:
God forbid any of you have to pull yourselves away from your funky-fresh tunes to assist and motivate anyone else on this march of yours. as standards are reduced and have now become the norm, so has the lack of professional and mental discipline demonstrated by soldiers. last i knew we trained as we fight......hope some of you have no infantry/combat ambitions.

On the anvil of war are the strong tempered and the weak made to break;
thus are men's souls tested as metal in the forges fire.
As steel is tempered by fire-so too are men tempered by suffering.

Timmy doesn't train to music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml1WnYI3-ik

This song is pretty neat for marching. Its from Command and Conquer Red Alert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0&feature=fvst

Gulruthina said:
This song is pretty neat for marching. Its from Command and Conquer Red Alert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0&feature=fvst

A buddy of mine and I played the hell out of C&C back in junior high/high school. The soundtrack from those first few games was epic.

Back