• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pace Sticks and Drill Canes

Kyle Burrows said:
http://www.pennys.ca - identical to the ones the CF uses.  Myles Penny is an Officer with the cadet corps down there.

how do you get to the Drill canes and pacesticks? i cant seem to find them

try a reg foce kit shop  you can find em in the  ppcli and rcr kit shops

axeman said:
try a reg foce kit shop   you can find em in the   ppcli and rcr kit shops
Our BN Kitshop doesnt sell them (2VP)...but our trade guys..umm i mean FST makes them for the unit.

-Hutch- said:
how do you get to the Drill canes and pacesticks? i cant seem to find them
  Email him.  He has them in stock but said he doesn't put it on the website.  I'm going up to t-bay so I'm paying him a visit..the corps needs some new ones.

http://www.thercrkitshop.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&indid=393

I was part of three Cadet corps during my time in Cadets.
One being a private cadet corps, now shut down.
One being, 2360 Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, Disbanneded.
and the 2644 Le Regiment de Hull
I am a Civilian Instructor at the 2644.
its a Armoured regiment.
Our traditions are as follows.

RSM, Regimental drill cane. Every RSM and his/her reign is added ontn it.
DSM's and CSM's carry black pace sticks.

We're at the point of retiring the Regimental Drill cane and turning it into a trophy. I am resoncable of building an exact replica of the old cane to replace the old one.
If this thread lasts, I'll post pictures on the old Cane and the trophy that it'll be built out of, and the new drill cane being built.
Thats if poeple are interested,

Just justification for CSMs carrying pace sticks at the CSTC was because they were running a lot of the drill oriented training as opposed to the RSM. This differs from the CF model, so we differed who carries which accruement. That said, in Vernon CSMs used to be presented drill canes.

GGHG_Cadet said:
Thanks for all of your very imformative posts. I guess my corp is a bit strange because our troop WOs and DSM never carried drill canes or pace sticks and my RSM wears a sam brown with a sword attached. Our current RSM knows proper sword drill which he learned from a former commanding officer, Major McCabe.

Then things have changed. We used to have Drill Canes for RSM and DSM. Sword was only for Ceremonial purposes. Other days.....THE CANE...........

GGHG_Cadet said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. My DSM doesn't carry anything but my RSM carries a sword. Does anyone else's carry a sword.

i get a sword and a pace stick, but my sword stays in my scabard

ARMYboi69 said:
Of course not ;)  They were just joking around.  People aren't beaten in cadets - they can't be touched without permission.

With our Corps, the RSM is the only one who carries a pace stick.  We're not big enough of a corps (currently around 50 cadets) to have the DSM or a CSM with a pace stick.  The one is enough to pace anything out when it's required.  During camp, the RSM had a Drill Cane this year, while last year the RSM used a Pace Stick.

For the past two years the RSM of Blackdown has carried a drill cane and all the CSMs pace sticks.

I'm a C.I. with 1292 LdSH RCACC,and in our Corps,The RSM carries a pace stick,CSM and troop commanders (W.O.'s or Sgt.'s)have drill canes.

ARMYboi69 said:
If I remember correctly CWO Holmes carried a Pace Stick during our Graduation, as well as Batallion Parades.
Nope it was a drill cane that he made for himself. Were you not a basic that year? If you were you would not have been on Battalion parade. The drill cane he did make was passed on to CWO Sheppard this year.

ARMYboi69 said:
Oh, alright, must have been thinking of someone else from another time.   Sorry about posting Batallion Parade - I know weren't on it then because of being on Basic course - I meant the time that we were posing for the Batallion picture, but couldn't think of it.
Let me clarify here ... Holmes did not make the drill cane he used in 2004, it was an old one that they gave him that year, he stripped and repainted it though.  For some large parades in 2004, the RSM did use a black pacestick.  This past summer Blackdown had a pacestick and sword donated by I believe a former RSM of the RCDs.  As such the RSM used that drill cane only for ceremonies and parades (had a silver end with the RCD insignia), and the other drill cane the rest of the time (brass end).  Also I believe the CSM of A Coy used the sabre for the Sunset Ceremony, however I wasn't there at that point to verify that.

ARMYboi69 said:
He did use a sword, not sure if it was the one you're thinking of though.
He obviously used a sabre, as the guard commander does every year.  From the pictures it resembles the sabre that was kept in the HQ, however my memory of the details isn't that accurate.

Big Foot said:
No, only officers carry swords.

NCOs can carry sheathed swords. I'm not sure if it's just CWOs (thats all I have seen, and only Infantry CWOs as a matter of fact)....

CWO. Holmes did not make his drill cane or get it issued ..it was given to him by the RSM as it was his When he was a cadet :salute: :warstory: :cdn: :threat: :cdn:

The Cane....
Canes are handed down from RSM to RSM and in some units from SSM to SSM. These canes will usually have silver heads and bands with the names of past RSM/SSM. They're heirlooms and should be well cared for.

Pace stick.... is a tool, a training tool. Any Sgt or above who requires this measuring aid is entitled to / should be using it.

geo said:
Any Sgt or above who requires this measuring aid is entitled to / should be using it.

I disagree, setting a rank makes it look like an accoutrement.  Anybody who needs it, should be issued it.

geo said:
The Cane....
Canes are handed down from RSM to RSM and in some units from SSM to SSM. These canes will usually have silver heads and bands with the names of past RSM/SSM. They're heirlooms and should be well cared for.

Pace stick.... is a tool, a training tool. Any Sgt or above who requires this measuring aid is entitled to / should be using it.

This is not the case in the infantry.

ALL of the SNCOs in my unit have drill canes, and are expected to carry them on certain occasions.

Back