• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P.E.R signed after June 1st

InVIcTuS_69

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day,

I know the PER limit date to get mailed to Ottawa is June 1st. But what I'd like to know is simple... what happens if your own PER is signed and mailed after June 1st ?

Nothing June 1 is an arbitrary date so that records can be assembled in time for the screening for the Selection Boards in the fall.  If you are not eligible for promotion or any major career courses then you have no worries.

I've been told that about 70% of the PER make the june 1st deadline, so I assume that its not a big deal if some are late a little...

Yes, that's true.  The boards don't even sit until the fall.

Our unit presently has about 18 outstanding.  Mine included*.  :mad:

*Not the ones I wrote.  ;D

Simian Turner said:
Nothing June 1 is an arbitrary date so that records can be assembled in time for the screening for the Selection Boards in the fall. 
It is not really arbitrary (this would imply there is no logic to the selected date).  The date is chosen so that the PER centre can receive, process, file, and persue deliquent PERs.  Unfortunately, many PERs still have not arrived well after the boards have sat.  For some people this may not have a negative impact this year, but that missing PER may cause problems next year or the year after.

Every year, there are hundreds of PERs that have not arrived at NDHQ in time for the merit boards in the Fall.  Career Managers are left scrambling trying to track down and get them collected.  This is a disgraceful situation and anyone contributing to it should be ashamed of themselves.  Although PERs should never be rushed, there is plenty of time to complete this key leadership task within the current guidelines.  In reference to the original question, missing the deadline by a few days or even weeks is not a big deal.  It's missing it by months that is unacceptable.

As of 15 Jun 10, there are 24,721 delinquent PER's.

You can check to see if your PER is in Ottawa by going to the following DWAN link and clicking PER Reports:  http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/engraph/CFPAS_home_e.asp?Opensub=64

I haven't got mine......and wont get it until September (heading on TD). Oh well..........

ArmySailor said:
I haven't got mine......and wont get it until September (heading on TD). Oh well..........

That is no excuse on the part of your CoC. My unit had members away as well and arrangements were made for their PERs to be provided to them, signed and sent to Ottawa. It was not the ideal way to do things but the paperwork was done on time.

CDN Aviator said:
That is no excuse on the part of your CoC. My unit had members away as well and arrangements were made for their PERs to be provided to them, signed and sent to Ottawa. It was not the ideal way to do things but the paperwork was done on time.

Agreed. I was out in the back sticks on EX when a shiney SUV hauled up into our hide and a clerk jumped out with my PER to sign.From a differnt base....on time. Sounds like someone in your CoC is steller at admin.

Simian Turner said:
Nothing June 1 is an arbitrary date so that records can be assembled in time for the screening for the Selection Boards in the fall.  If you are not eligible for promotion or any major career courses then you have no worries.

Interesting... I just received an immediate and am on my C17 loadmaster course next month...  and signed my PER on June 4th... outstanding..

pylon said:
Interesting... I just received an immediate and am on my C17 loadmaster course next month...  and signed my PER on June 4th... outstanding..

It will still be in Ottawa in time for the boards.

Aerobicrunner said:
As of 15 Jun 10, there are 24,721 delinquent PER's.

MCG,

An arbitrary decision is one made without regard for the facts and circumstances presented, and it connotes a disregard of the evidence, enuff said.

CDN Aviator said:

I was actually looking forward to it too - I have only been in the job a short time so would like some feedback (haven't had a PDR either....hmmm). I'm not too worried as I am a reservist and obviously its not the same as ya'll regforce guys. 

Everytime I asked about it I was told I was 'too pushy".  ;D 

There has to be a balance between getting the PERs signed, and getting them debriefed. Its great that some unknown clerk jumped out and had you sign a PER, but that really defeats the whole purpose if you aren't debriefed at some time by the CoC. It's easy to slag the CoC about not getting PERs signed on time, but isn't it better to be late with a good product debriefed properly, than rush to meet a deadline with a piece of crap?

I know someone will cry out that we know the deadline every year and should do our time appreciations to meet that, but in my opinion writing PERs in Jan (which happens in very large units) to meet the deadline is unfair to the member.

captloadie said:
There has to be a balance between getting the PERs signed, and getting them debriefed. Its great that some unknown clerk jumped out and had you sign a PER, but that really defeats the whole purpose if you aren't debriefed at some time by the CoC. It's easy to slag the CoC about not getting PERs signed on time, but isn't it better to be late with a good product debriefed properly, than rush to meet a deadline with a piece of crap?

I know someone will cry out that we know the deadline every year and should do our time appreciations to meet that, but in my opinion writing PERs in Jan (which happens in very large units) to meet the deadline is unfair to the member.

It's necessary when your away from your unit on a 3 month tasking to a differnt base. In a perfect world we would all be able to be debreifed, however due to employment limitations this was the best way to get it done.

captloadie said:
There has to be a balance between getting the PERs signed, and getting them debriefed.

Yup. Thats why a unit with a bit of organization can have the PER signed and debreifed by the CoC even when the member is away.

1st drafts are usualy being done in late jan / early feb and that is usualy for immediates or formation ranked PERs. Others are usualy due much later. The nice thing about drafts is that they are not final. If the member should have done something warranting mention, there is plenty of time to make changes. I have seen this many times.

CDN Aviator said:
The nice thing about drafts is that they are not final. If the member should have done something warranting mention, there is plenty of time to make changes. I have seen this many times.

The not so nice thing about printed drafts from subordinates on which you have made suggested changes is that in the case of a NDHQ redress investigation, you must produce them, be prepared to defend your changes and confirm that the member was counselled accordingly.  From experience, drafts once forwarded up the chain of command and reviewed are legitimate documents and subject to the ATIP.

Simian Turner said:
The not so nice thing about printed drafts from subordinates on which you have made suggested changes is that in the case of a NDHQ redress investigation, you must produce them, be prepared to defend your changes and confirm that the member was counselled accordingly.  From experience, drafts once forwarded up the chain of command and reviewed are legitimate documents and subject to the ATIP.

Absolutely agreed.

Here's the issue:

We lowly types begin the process ~ Feb ... a draft PER. It is not submitted, nor is it final. It is a DRAFT. It is subject to change based upon any mitigating or changing factors in the members performance UNTIL 31 March. By the last week of March, our troops' PERs are usually pretty bang-on and unless troop X fucks up severely in that last week, there will probably be no more change to it.

Why the hell, then, does it take until end-May for those PERs to come back DOWN to us from the powers that be so that we can debrief our troops and have them signed? They've had them for months!! Don't tell me that they need to be reviewed or re-written by some Officer type with a Masters in English who feels the need to change out the writing to 15 letter words that no one but his own co-graduates understand. It`s happened. It`s also resulted in all the PERs being put back to their original forms by us down here doing the business and seeing with our own actual eyes-on the business getting done.

Branch Boards? Base Boards? They sure as heck shouldn't take 3 months either. A little proper planning and Org would solve that - the same thing happens each and every year after all. Perhaps, the problem actually is that there's too many people involved AFTER the Unit level who think that 1 June is just an arbitrary date and that "they aren't really needed until the fall".

PERs are supposed to BE in Ottawa (signed!) by 01 June. Period. That's the rule and it exists for a reason. It is only the troops who get fucked when that doesn't happen. Perhaps that's an issue too that it is only the troops who suffer the ill-effects of this. Maybe it's time to start holding the higher CoC responsable when on June 1st, "Unit X has not submitted their UIC PERs" leads to an answer of "Well, we have to hold them because we are still missing 18 PERs that the Comd (or other) is still reviewing (or hasn't gotten around to signing yet) before we can submit UIC return."

This failure of the CoC to act within the directed time period in an effecient manner that ensures "signed" PERs arrive at NDHQ by 1 June results in no implications for themselves, but, rather ironicly, affects only the career of the troop that PER is written for.

"Geez, where's the incentive to get them done on time and to Ottawa by June 1st as it affects "me" not??"

Vern,
In all the time you've written PERs, have you never had one returned because there were actual mistakes on it? Not small grammar things, but things like the dots filled wrong, or incorrect info (SN, rank, unit)? If so, this answers the question why it takes so long to get them back to you. There is usually only one poor sole responsible for the crappy job of checking every stinking PER in a unit to make sure they don't get sent to Ottawa with incorrect info so that the troops aren't getting screwed by the supervisor who doesn't pay attention to detail.

And believe me, it sucks when a PER comes all the way back from being signed by a Formation commander, and the first thing a member says when being debriefed is "My name has two Ls in it, not one."

Back