• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Own Expense Move

CombatMacguyver

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark here:

I've been told the only obstacle to my being posted out of Valactraz is financing.  Does anyone have any experience with financing a move on your own dime?  I'm absolutely willing to suck up the financial hit to get my family out of here, but I'm completely outside of my arcs regarding how it could be done and what the regs are.

Thanks gentlemen

CombatMacguyver said:
Just a shot in the dark here:

I've been told the only obstacle to my being posted out of Valactraz is financing.  Does anyone have any experience with financing a move on your own dime?  I'm absolutely willing to suck up the financial hit to get my family out of here, but I'm completely outside of my arcs regarding how it could be done and what the regs are.

Thanks gentlemen

Sorry, but there is no such thing as paying for your own move.  If the CF can't move/relocate you for whatever reason, you can't just up and do it on your own.

If such a thing was possible, then you would see 80% of the CF population living and working in (insert location here).

I hear ya, but it cant be that simple, nothing in the Army is so black and white  :p

There must be some precedent somewhere!  :crybaby:

DAA said:
Sorry, but there is no such thing as paying for your own move.  If the CF can't move/relocate you for whatever reason, you can't just up and do it on your own.

If such a thing was possible, then you would see 80% of the CF population living and working in (insert location here).

During my 34 years in uniform I've never heard of anyone paying their own move.  The CM only posts you when there is a position available at the new location and IF they have the money to pay for the move.  There are liability issues at play here I'd imagine, especially if something happens to you, your family or your belongings during the move. 

Not being a SME on all the legalities and regulations, I don't think that there is anything that restricts you from moving your family to another location, away from your work location, on your own dime.  It does affect you though.  Your next posting move will be from one work location to the next, and may once again mean your moving your family to join you on your own dime (depending on how far away you moved them).  As you moved your family away on your own dime, you will not be entitled to any of the Separation Allowances, IR, etc.  As I am not in anyway an expert on this, you should really be asking your RMS Clerks to research it and give you the CAF policies on this.

This is all from my experience of having moved my wife to Ottawa for her employment, while I remained in Petawawa paying two mortgages.

George Wallace said:
Not being a SME on all the legalities and regulations, I don't think that there is anything that restricts you from moving your family to another location, away from your work location, on your own dime.  It does affect you though.  Your next posting move will be from one work location to the next, and may once again mean your moving your family to join you on your own dime (depending on how far away you moved them).  As you moved your family away on your own dime, you will not be entitled to any of the Separation Allowances, IR, etc.  As I am not in anyway an expert on this, you should really be asking your RMS Clerks to research it and give you the CAF policies on this.

This is all from my experience of having moved my wife to Ottawa for her employment, while I remained in Petawawa paying two mortgages.

Good example and good point.

Yes you can relocate your family, at your own expense, to any location of your choosing.  But keep in mind, it does play a "HUGE" impact on future and current financial benefits.

Key words in most regs will be "the location, in which the CF member and or dependants, were last moved at PUBLIC expense."

Only the Career Manager moves the Service Member.  If he does not have the money in his budget to move you, you don't go.  Simple as that.  Now if you want to move your family out of Valcartier while you remain behind that is totally up to you.  However,  that move will be on your dime and you will not be entitled to any benefits such as IR.  When it comes time for you to be posted your family's move to the new posting will again be on your dime. 

You cannot simple decide you want to work at another base and move there.  It doesn't work that way.  If it did I would have moved to our base in Bermuda when I first joined. 

George Wallace said:

I'm also considering that option, believe me.  You've confirmed my suspicions about the next posting becoming an issue though.

SGT-RMSCLK said:
Only the Career Manager moves the Service Member.  If he does not have the money in his budget to move you, you don't go.  Simple as that.  Now if you want to move your family out of Valcartier while you remain behind that is totally up to you.  However,  that move will be on your dime and you will not be entitled to any benefits such as IR.  When it comes time for you to be posted your family's move to the new posting will again be on your dime. 

You cannot simple decide you want to work at another base and move there.  It doesn't work that way.  If it did I would have moved to our base in Bermuda when I first joined.

I hear what you're saying.  I do need to defend myself here though; I'm not trying my damndest to get out of Valcartier for my sake, my wife and kid are the primary concern.  They could post me out in the mountains here for all I care.  My personal comfort comes way after my family's.

Besides, Bermuda wouldn't work out.  I'd miss the snow  :p

Back