• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our Prison Policies Suck

WTShields, is that the Edmonton Remand Centre you speak of?  It was my understanding that prisoners *actually* endured hardship there, because of the harsh overcrowded conditions (I'd love to see it the next time I make a trip to the city).

Being in the service industry, I have on occasion booked reservations for my clients to stay there, so I'm interested to know what it's like on the inside.  :blotto:

WTShields said:
Who are we protecting? 

See, and that is what I just don't get.  Who is coming up with this shit?  Okay, a quarter century of Lieberal idiocy and appointments created it.  But why does it persist?  I can't see the public getting all fired up to rush to the defence of these clowns.  EVERYONE loves those Sheriff Joe stories.  I know we'd never have that here, but something more like it? 
Simple stimulus/response.  If you do something and it doesn't feel good, you learn not to do it.  If you do something and it provides you with three hots and a cot, a gym, satellite TV, conjugal visits, drugs, semi-gay sex (they always insist that prison sex isn't gay but I'm not buying it) free education, hanging out with your other arsehole buddies practicing to disarm and murder police in your spare time etc...

I can't even see the Lieberals blocking prison reform legislation. 

IMO, most of the problem with reforming prisons would be the fact that we would probably lose most of them to riots and such.

...and just remember, like every dead gangbanger in Toronto, the relatives would be crying, "He/she was a good boy/girl",..................."why yes, half a million just might make the pain go away."

zipperhead_cop said:
EVERYONE loves those Sheriff Joe stories.

Apparently, Juvenile Delinquents can earn High School credits on his chain gangs. Reminds me of a story I read years ago about LAPD teaching classes to High School kids about how to be arrested safely.
Sheriff Joe's radio station broadcasts, "classical music, opera, Frank Sinatra hits, patriotic music and educational programming."
And no skin mags. Not even Playboy.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
IMO, most of the problem with reforming prisons would be the fact that we would probably lose most of them to riots and such.

...and just remember, like every dead gangbanger in Toronto, the relatives would be crying, "He/she was a good boy/girl",..................."why yes, half a million just might make the pain go away."

Sure, so as long as the CO's suck back and are safe, go for it.  But it takes political will.  Even with a riot though, "Prisoners Riot and Burn After Losing HBO".  I don't see the public getting ramped up about that.  And it would have to be decided beforehand that no lawsuits would be settled at any cost.  Anyone wants to sue, it costs them huge. 

mariomike said:
Jun 28 2010:
"Why "Truth in Sentencing" Was a Bad Idea: It cost billions for an act that will likely worsen prison conditions, put more strain on resources, and contribute to recidivism.":
http://www.themarknews.com/articles/1769-why-truth-in-sentencing-was-a-bad-idea

Geez. What kind of life would you have without a computer and a search engine? Enough already.

recceguy said:
Geez. What kind of life would you have without a computer and a search engine? Enough already.

Not going to take your bait and engage you. Post removed. Subscription cancelled.

mariomike said:
Not going to take your bait and engage you. Post removed. Subscription cancelled.

Sorry to hear about your cancellation of your subscription.

Best of luck in your future endeavours, but I do hope you still hang around here.

Regards,

Wes

mariomike said:

Mea culpa. I apologise, publicly, for my rashness. It is no reason to punish Mike though, by cancelling your subscription. As a token, please PM me your subscription date and the next year is on me.

Folks, no need to be rash on either side. Mike, if you would like your subscription to end, just refrain from making a payment when it comes due. It will automatically be cancelled at that time.

It was I who was rash. I regret what I said to you, R-G. What you said about my posting style was right.
As long as I am permitted to remain a member, I will always be a subcriber, because I have learned a lot here from others, including yourself.
That is a very kind and generous offer, R-G. Much appreciated, but no need.   

Kooooom by YAAAAA, m'lord, kooooom by YAAAAA.......!

mariomike said:
Not going to take your bait and engage you.

Not sure what I missed here?  That article had a tongue-in-cheek feel to it and was criticising the Gov for trying to improve the prison system.  I don't think anyone can argue that there is a critical need for more prison space.

As for prison conditions?  I'm all for a two tiered system.  Tier one allows for inmates to do on-line education, learn trades, drug/life counselling, generally defornicate themselves as best they can.  But after you have a couple of kicks at tier one you go on to tier two: a windowless box with a feed tube of low protein mush which provides hydration and basic nourishment, and a sh|t hole.  An alarm would go off and you'd shed your clothes, get hosed off automatically and new clothes would appear through a hole in the wall.  I'm betting the recidivist rate of tier two would be low. 

I think that as it exists today, the Federal corrections system is a waste of money that doesn't really do what it's supposed to. While it might be a good way to warehouse baddies for a while, I really, really have to ask how spending five-ten years in that environment actually "rehabilitates" anybody, such that they are a "good citizen" (or even a "better citizen") when they get out. What are the real recidivism figures (as opposed to what CSC would like people to read?).

My uneducated guess is that the Federal population can be broken into three groups:

a) a very small percentage who should be executed, immediately;

b) a somewhat larger group who should be locked up in solitary for the rest of their lives so they can't hurt anybody; and

c) all the rest, who should probably be handled in some other, far more productive manner, that ensures not only that they pay back their victims and society, but don't get immersed in the swamp of the prison jungle society. I don't know exactly what these methods might be, but I can't think that taking a 19 year old (who  probably already has lots of problems and isn't exactly an over achiever) and sticking him in that environment does much good.

Cheers

Back