• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ORNGE Air Ambulance Down in 2013 - 4 Fatalities

WingsofFury

Inactive
Reaction score
RIP to all involved, and condolences to their families.

ORNGE helicopter crash kills four in northern Ontario

Two pilots and two paramedics aboard an ORNGE helicopter that crashed after takeoff from Moosonee have died, the provincial air ambulance service said Friday.

By: Thestar.com, Published on Fri May 31 2013

All four people aboard an ORNGE helicopter that crashed after takeoff from Moosonee have died, the provincial air ambulance service said Friday.

The two pilots and two paramedics on the Sikorsky S76 helicopter were killed. No patients were on board, ORNGE said.

“Everybody at ORNGE is deeply saddened by this tragic incident, and our hearts go out to the families and friends of those who lost their lives,” said Dr. Andrew McCallum, president and CEO of ORNGE.

“We will do whatever we can to support them at this difficult time. We will also co-operate fully with the authorities charged (with) investigating the accident.”

Military rescue crews had managed to parachute into the scene shortly after daybreak Friday, a CFB Trenton spokesman had said.

“It’s in dense brush about two miles off the airport,” Capt. Keith Hoey told the Star.

The helicopter had been flying from its base in Moosonee to Attawapiskat when it went down just after midnight.

Contact was lost shortly after takeoff, ORNGE said.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre at CFB Trenton sent a Griffin helicopter and a C130 Hercules transport to the scene, Hoey said. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada has also been notified.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/05/31/ornge_helicopter_crashes_in_northern_ontario.html

Title changed for clarity

Sad, sad news.  My thoughts go out to the families of those affected.

"I am heartbroken at the tragic news of the loss of two pilots and two paramedics in an Ornge air ambulance crash early this morning near Moosonee.

Today we mourn the loss of Captain Don Filliter of Skead, Ontario; First Officer Jacques Dupuy, of Otterburn-Park, Quebec; Primary Care Flight Paramedic Dustin Dagenais, of Moose Factory, Ontario; and Primary Care Flight Paramedic Chris Snowball, of Burlington, Ontario.

Four people dedicated to saving the lives of others have lost their own lives.  They are true heroes, as are their fellow frontline paramedics and pilots, who are committed to working hard every day to provide care to our loved ones.

At this difficult time, my first thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased, and all the staff at Ornge.  All the people of Ontario share in their grief.

Our government will work closely with Ornge as the Transportation Safety Board of Canada investigates this incident fully and thoroughly."
Statement by Ontario Minister of Health & Long-term Care Deb Matthews, 31 May 13

Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends and colleagues of the four.  RIP.

GAP, this is an older, smaller helicopter by Sikorsky, an S-76.  Cougar 71 was a larger S-92.

Regards
G2G

RIP.

Lord, guide the men and women who fly

Through the great spaces of the sky;
Be with them traversing the air
In darkening storms or sunshine fair.

Thou who dost keep with tender might
The balanced birds in all their flight,
Thou of the tempered winds, be near,
That, having Thee, they know no fear.

Control their minds with instinct fit
What time, adventuring, they quit
The firm security of land;
Grant steadfast eye and skillful hand.

Aloft in solitudes of space,
Uphold them with Thy saving grace.
O God, protect the men and women who fly
Through lonely ways beneath the sky.

Condolences to the families of the pilots and paramedics.

"God grant me the strength to deliver emergency medical care, with skillful hands and a compassionate heart.

Give me the courage and ability to render my professional skills, when called upon and lives are on the line.

Help to guide these hands with love and care as I bring new life into this world.

Let me ease the suffering of others from day to day.

And finally, to help me accept my fate and the fate of others, with a clear mind and an open heart.

By the grace of God I go."

Rick Boustead
Toronto EMS

There is a condolence book at Emergency Services HQ and flags at City paramedic stations have been lowered.

"No mechanical problems in fatal Ornge crash: investigators"
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/story/2013/06/04/sby-transportation-safety-board-sudbury-moosonee-fatal-helicopter-crash-voice-recorder.html

"The Transportation Safety Board says there is no indication that mechanical problems were a factor in the fatal Ornge helicopter accident near Moosonee, Ont. last Friday."

Anyone who wants to help, there is a T-shirt campaign going on,

http://teespring.com/7793

as well as a benevolent fund which accepts donations;

http://www.orngeemployees.org/

Two weeks after the fatal crash of an air ambulance helicopter crash in northern Ontario, ORNGE has temporarily suspended night-time chopper flights to 58 remote sites across the province.

While the cause of the May 31 midnight crash in Moosonee may not be known for many months yet, the air ambulance service says it is taking the actions for “maximum safety.”

“Rotor operations at night are certainly an area where you have to be very vigilant,” Dr. Andrew McCallum, president and chief executive officer of ORNGE, told the Star in an interview.

ORNGE has implemented several changes in the wake of the crash that killed four employees, including suspending night flights to 58 landing sites that involve so-called “black hole” approaches.

Such conditions occur in remote areas where the lack of lighting, such as house and street lights, leave the pilot with few visual cues for their landing, raising the risk of an accident.

“We do know that probably black hole approaches are the biggest challenge for rotor (emergency medical service) pilots,” McCallum said.

Rather than conventional lighting, these 58 helipads are marked by reflective cones that mark the landing site when illuminated by the landing lights of an approaching helicopter.

In the coming weeks, ORNGE chopper pilots will get additional training on landing at reflective cone helipads. As each crew completes the training, they will be allowed to resume flights into these sites. The training is expected to take two weeks ....
Toronto Star, 15 Jun 13

A few things here. The original crash happened after take off not on landing. If pilots have been flying in these remote locations for however long ORNGE Air has been operating I would imagine that they would be pretty good at their job and landing with minimal lighting with the cones. Why can't some sort of lights be installed at the landing pad?

I would have assumed pilots would have had some sort of training for these conditions in the first place. I'm for more training as it only improves on skills but i'm not seeing the connection to the crash.

They are Covering their Asses by looking like they are doing something tangible... ::)

Tommy said:
Anyone who wants to help, there is a T-shirt campaign going on,

http://teespring.com/7793

as well as a benevolent fund which accepts donations;

http://www.orngeemployees.org/

Their memorial service is taking place tomorrow at the Toronto Police College.

This tragedy highlights the importance of Line of Duty Death ( LODD ) survivor benefits in Emergency Services. They may vary, depending on collective agreements negotiated with individual municipalities and employers.

There is also Ontario WSIB.

The Ontario Government offers a Public Safety Officers’ Survivors Scholarship Fund for children and spouses of public safety officers who die in the line of duty. It pays for the cost of post-secondary education, up to five years, including tuition, books, living and accommodation expenses.

There is lobbying for the creation of a national Public Safety Officer Compensation ( PSOC ) benefit in the amount of $300,000, indexed annually, for families of public safety officers who are killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty. Regardless of province. This would be especially helpful for services with volunteers and part-timers, as they may not be adequately covered by LODD agreements with their municipality / employer.

GAP said:
They are Covering their Asses by looking like they are doing something tangible... ::)

Perhaps you might consider that this might be like some stories you read in the media about the CF; that there may be a lot more to the story than has been made public so far. 

Without prejudice to Don and his crew, "black hole" arrivals and departures are challenging at the best of times.  Many of the procedures to maintain situational awareness and avoid spatial disorientation for operating un-aided (no NVGs) are similar for both approaches and departures.  I think it is appropriate that Ornge review and impose certain restrictions and additional procedures and training as interim measures to ensure safe operations can be maintained until a full assessment of the situation leading to the loss of the crew and aircraft is completed. 

Regards
G2G

Today we held the final memorial for the 4 fallen. For those interested here is a link to the video of the service followed by a fly past at the end with piper John Lyndsay from the Ontario Paramedic pipes and drums.

It was nice to see and speak with members of the Canadian Forces who attended today and at Chris's funeral. I had a nice chat today with the CO of 424 sqn and some SAR tech's.

Here is the link. http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=237&rid=16&gid=114628

Heroes in life, not death. RIP gentlemen.

Jun 15, 2016

Oversight, organizational issues led to 2013 Ornge crash, TSB says
http://www.680news.com/2016/06/15/oversight-organizational-issues-led-to-2013-ornge-crash-tsb-says/
Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) has revealed that significant gaps in oversight and organizational problems in the Ornge air ambulance service resulted in the 2013 crash that killed four people.

Ah yes. Almost forgot about that liberal boondoggle. Another McSquinty scandal and perpetuated by the wicked witch of Ontaristan.

Back