• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPSEC involved with BATTLE OF PANJAWAI AND BEYOND

As far as I am concerned the 'sr ret types' should keep thier bloody noses out of it, and piss off. I'm sick to death of seeing the "talking heads" and so called experts (sr ret types), on CTV and the CBC saying a lot about how the mission should be handled. They are from an era that has kept the accomplishments of the CF as a whole under wraps for fear of damaging and chance they had getting a cushy job with a defence contracator. Remember Jean Boyle..."the Great Somalia Document Hunt", he's now working for Boeing Canada, humping C-17s. The list goes on...
Hey George...remember the MILITOUR fiasco in 94-95...
Oh let let me go on...NONE of them have the depth of experience that the current SERVING staffs have dealing with warfighting operations. Let call a spade a spade, we're fighting a war.
My rant.

Quagmire said:
Gunner why would retired pers get involved?

I was going to PM you this whole thing to get your take on it.

Quagmire, they weren't "involved" in a sinister fashion.  The email has been flying around the CF for about two weeks now.  Well over a week ago, it was forwarded to a mailing list for the Royal Canadian Artillery Association (not sure by who).  A/CO 1 RCHA later followed the email up with a request to hold off passing it around as there was some concerns over OPSEC and PERSEC (see other posts in this thread by others who had the same concerns - as did the army.ca staff).  Hence, the "suppression" by the "sr retired types" was simply some retired professional soldiers trying to stop a potential OPSEC/PERSEC issue that could jeopardize our soldiers overseas or in Canada.  That is my interpretation and until someone provides me concrete evidence of a retired group of Gunner Mafia capable of exerting enough influence to repress the achievements of the gunners of today.... well, let's just say that someone has been watching too many X Files reruns. 

Cheers 

As far as I am concerned the 'sr ret types' should keep thier bloody noses out of it, and piss off.

And you Sir, don't know what you are talking about.

OK

The matter of OPSEC, PERSEC and SR RET Pers has taken this off track and now we have two different discussions.  I have split this one off the original.

We have told you how we have dealt with this post.  We have tried to keep everything on the up and up.  What you don't see going on behind the scenes, is the problems we have had with OPSEC and PERSEC and confirming through as many sources what we can and can not ethically put out in the forum.  We have had this email for some time and we have received word that the author wanted it out.  We have used our contacts to contact his superiors, others in the know, etc.  We can't realistically keep you all informed on what several of us were doing individually with all our contacts, so accept the fact that we were doing our best and leave it at that. 

This BS about SR RET PERS is crap.  You more senior guys should know better.  Some of these more Sr Ret Pers are still in the Game, and have more OPSEC knowledge than you do, and probably ever will.  Jammer, you should know better, especially in your Field.  Anyone who gets into insulting others for wanting "glory" or not being able to get any "glory" had better start having a close inward look at themselves.  This whole line is beneath your dignity and should never have come out.

I'll end this little rant now and let you all reflect on what we are trying to do, and how we are trying to protect our friends and comrades.

No offence intended, and I do wholeheated apologize to anyone I offended.
I promise to re-engage head before unleashing a tirade..

George a big +1.  You and the staff did the right thing on this and anyone who says different doesn't know the whole picture or is talking out of another orifice.

However, just to be clear on one thing. I was there at the opening "Battle of Panjawai", in Apr/May, and will be going back in a few days for the six month gig.
OPSEC is foremost on my mind. You're right George, I should, and do know better.
Shall we move on?

OPSEC is foremost on my mind. You're right George, I should, and do know better.

By all means, identify any OPSEC/PERSEC concerns to the moderators using the report to moderator icon.  We will always err on the side of caution and remove the post.

Back