• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op NEON - CAF Helps Enforce N.Korea Sanctions

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the DND info-machine:
In June 2019 the Canadian Armed Forces are deploying ships and a maritime patrol aircraft, under Operation NEON, to ensure sanctions are imposed against North Korea.

Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Regina, Naval Replenishment Unit Asterix and a CP-140 Aurora aircraft are contributing to this new operation.

Operation NEON is Canada’s contribution to a coordinated multinational effort to support the implementation of United Nations Security Council sanctions imposed against North Korea. These UN sanctions, imposed between 2006 and 2017, aim to pressure North Korea to abandon its weapons of mass destruction programs and respond to North Korean nuclear weapon tests and ballistic missile launches.

During 2019 and 2020 and into 2021, Canada will periodically deploy military ships, aircraft and personnel to conduct surveillance operations to identify suspected maritime sanctions evasion activities, in particular ship-to-ship transfers of fuel and other commodities banned by the United Nations Security Council resolutions (UNSCR). This contribution will bolster the integrity of the global sanctions regime against North Korea.

Operation NEON demonstrates the importance that Canada places on security in the Asia-Pacific region, international security and the importance of upholding the UN Security Council sanctions regime. It further demonstrates Canada’s resolve in standing with allies and partners in accordance with Canadian values ...
More @ link -- CAF Op NEON page here.

And this from the "Korean Friendship Association Canada" (text also attached in case link doesn't work) ...
The Korean Friendship Association Canada fully condemns Canada’s decision to send forces on behalf of UN sanctions. By sending military to enforce UN sanctions, Canada is actively going against the Universal Declaration of Human Rights it claims to endorse.

Article 2 of the United Declaration of Human Rights clearly states how despite political beliefs, the DPRK should never have their freedoms trampled on against, especially from a foreign entity. These sanctions against the DPRK from America and the UN go against many of the rights set forth in the Declaration, however Article 2 is the one that stands out the most.

If we allow Canada, and the world as a whole, to continue to oppress the DPRK, then we throw away all that the United Nations claim to stand for. Do we continue to oppress and sanction countries, and put people at harm, or do we dismiss the United Nations as a whole, and create something more substantial. Canada will be involved directly in one of the greatest illegal operations in modern history if it continues down this path; Canada can thus then no longer be seen as this “peace keeping” country in which we were force fed growing up.

KFA Canada calls for everyone to reach out to politicians and tell them not to support this illegal act, but to force the powers that be to back away, and offer friendship instead of warships!

- Comrade Trevor Spencer (KFA OD Canada)

Attachments

• juche007-anglo-peopleskoreafriendship.blogspot.com-Official KFA Canada Statement Regarding Can...pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 108
So... Operation... "Neon"?...  Does Neon have some meaning I'm not aware of?

Well, neon is a noble gas so maybe that says something about the mission  ;):
https://www.britannica.com/science/noble-gas

Mark
Ottawa

The name of the mission is irrelevant;  what's important is that this is sure  to get us the UNSC seat.  :nod:

MarkOttawa said:
Well, neon is a noble gas so maybe that says something about the mission  ;):

But the primary use of neon is signage.  The first thought that pops into my mind when I hear "neon" is Las Vegas; what other city would have as one of their preeminent "cultural" destinations a repurposed junkyard that celebrates the local ethos of fake glitter and lost dreams.  So, does the use of this codeword signify something about the Canadian response, all flash, little substance?

milnews.ca said:
And this from the "Korean Friendship Association Canada" (text also attached in case link doesn't work) ...
Can’t help but notice that “Spencer” is not a common Korean surname. I don’t imagine one would find much support for this point of view within the Korean Canadian community. Though admittedly that is just speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomydoom said:
Can’t help but notice that “Spencer” is not a common Korean surname.
If you believe the mainstream media ....
... For Spencer, he says his affinity for the isolated government is driven by his commitment to "social justice" and his personal experiences of prejudice as a Métis, a distinct ethnic group of mixed Indigenous and European decent ...
Also seems to be involved in maintaining the Canadian group's FB page.

An affinity for a government that rules by fear makes me think that they do not want a democracy.

tomahawk6 said:
An affinity for a government that rules by fear makes me think that they do not want a democracy.

Are you talking about the Spencer guy who maintains the KFA Canada page? 

And that page...wow.

tomahawk6 said:
Yes. If I have it wrong let me know.Thanks

Well, I don't think those groups represent the majority of NK citizens. 

Dimsum said:
Well, I don't think those groups represent the majority of NK citizens.
:nod:  The same way all those Communist Parties didn't represent the majority of people living in "Democratic Republics" ...

OP PROJECTION is now OP NEON.

The 2 main things being monitored IAW the UNSCR are (1) the transfer of oil heading into North Korea and (2) the transfer of coal coming out of North Korea.

Fairly simple mission goals...rather complicated op area (from the air side, at least).

- mod merge to new Op NEON thread -

How much coal does DPRK (try to) export, compared to how much Canada exports out of Vancouver?

I'd have to check to be honest; the answer should be "very little to none" since the UNSCRs?  The oil piece is definitely more prominent.

I know I'm only a line sqn operator, but I think this is the one the fleet should commit a standing Det to.  The mission is important and we can offer some mission value there, but it should be consistent and persistent.

Also...the location is awesome!  My Det lucked out and got some time in Tokyo.  The city is amazing, especially at night.

Back