• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Good post. For the record, I dont begrudge the air force anything or think that you guys are whiners.

Oh...I wouldn't go that far.  We have some whiners.  >:D

What I DO begrudge in JTF-I is that, unlike in Afghanistan, the support staff in Camp Canada have zero risk and have basically made it their life's mission to keep their HA/RA (including rolling the OS hub into Impact for that sole purpose). If I were king for a day, the Air crew would be seperated by mission name from the support staff/self licking lollipop that is the majority of JTF-I so that you guys got tax free and they didn't.

CDS Townhall at the Camp Canada patio last December just before Christmas, he told the townhall "make no mistake, the ONLY reason you people here are getting Risk and tax free is because of what the aircrew are doing." 

I and others had hope that the...mentality...would change when the JTF Command went from a wedge to a green beret.  It might have actually gotten worse.  Change of command parades galore, Hours of operations signs all over the place, and a *garrison* attitude.  People concerned about aircrew badges and zipper lights, not about mission success.  Fuck me senseless, it was hard to ignore the folks who cared about the wrong stuff. 

JTF-I, more specifically the JTFSC, the mentality I saw there, for me it was embarrassing to be a part of that.  We distanced ourselves from it as best we could, kept to ourselves as a Det and a crew and did the job.  I could write 2 pages of the problems I saw from my low view as a sub-unit Snr NCO...without thinking about it.

PuckChaser said:
The biggest problem is that we've been forced by TB to link a specific HA/RA level to tax-free status. If we really wanted to fairly compensate troops for being deployed, and stop the over-inflating of RA/HA numbers, any operation entitled to at least RA1 and HA1 should be automatically tax-free. Aircrew should also be getting the RA level for the day they're in the airspace in a higher RA AOR, like EITS said. Its just common sense, which is probably why NDHQ hasn't sorted it out yet.

I think its done the way it is to make it easier to administer, which is a poor excuse, if you ask me.  What do I personally think the risk is on CC?  Uhhhhhhh.  Nothing?  Eating too much ice cream maybe...or wearing sandals at night.  My last roto, you want to know what REALLY worried me over there?  The prick who was stealing my friggin Under Armor t shirts out of the damn laundry on me.  :mad:  I lost 3 of them on ROTO 4.  3 !!!  Mother-fu$$ker, I wish I would have caught that person in the act. 

PPCLI Guy said:
These guys are flat out rock stars, and have a great reputation in the Coalition.

I have a lot of respect for those guys and how they do the low and slow stuff.  :salute:

Is any of this linked to Government of Canada Travel Advisories?

Iraq         Avoid all travel (with regional advisories) 2017-04-11 09:00:42
Syria  Avoid all travel 2016-09-07 10:29:37

Turkey Exercise a high degree of caution (with regional advisories) 2017-04-18 10:44:14
Jordan Exercise a high degree of caution (with regional advisories) 2017-03-30 14:00:47
Ukraine Exercise a high degree of caution (with regional advisories) 2017-01-11 12:26:48
India         Exercise a high degree of caution (with regional advisories) 2017-03-30 13:54:30
Mexico Exercise a high degree of caution (with regional advisories) 2017-03-16 12:57:20

Kuwait Exercise a high degree of caution 2017-03-30 14:00:47
Bahamas Exercise a high degree of caution 2017-04-11 11:18:25
Jamaica Exercise a high degree of caution 2017-03-16 12:57:20
France Exercise a high degree of caution 2017-04-21 11:54:18

Latvia Exercise normal security precautions 2017-01-11 11:46:38
Romania Exercise normal security precautions 2017-02-01 12:58:44

Just curious.

I wonder what Mr. Sunshine and Butterflies will say/do if any of our troops became casualties from Turkish, Syrian or Russian actions?

More than a dozen US-backed Kurdish fighters killed in airstrikes from Turkish jets in Syria and Iraq, two US defense officials confirm, with one outraged official calling it 'very serious.'

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/25/turkish-jets-bomb-us-backed-forces-in-iraq-syria-us-officials-say.html

Rifleman62 said:
I wonder what Mr. Sunshine and Butterflies will say/do if any of our troops became casualties from Turkish, Syrian or Russian actions?
And yet, you expressed no concerns that I remember about a previous government committing to supporting some elements of the Kurds, even though there was some ... political uncertainty visible down the road.  Or did I miss that?

Rifleman62 said:
I don't think that I would so glibly use the deaths of Canadian troops (even hypothetical deaths because the dangers may be real and the troops themselves are very real people) to take cheap political shots.  Maybe instead we can hope there are mechanisms in place to ensure our troops are never in the beaten zone of Turkish or Russian forces.

And yet, you expressed no concerns that I remember about a previous government committing to supporting some elements of the Kurds, even though there was some ... political uncertainty visible down the road.  Or did I miss that?

You missed everything. I have NO problems supporting the Kurds. None. My question was: What would be the reaction of the PM if we took casualties from Turkish, Syrian or Russian actions? Our forces are fighting ISIS. Throw in a NATO ally and two other counties possibly shooting at them.

I don't get your comment other than you want to take a contrary viewpoint to my post(s).

Rifleman62 said:
... I don't get your comment other than you want to take a contrary viewpoint to my post(s).
I guess I read more partisan intent in your statement than you claim - my mistake, I guess.

Posted with the caveat that I've never before heard of this guy's blog, nor do I recognize it as a *legitimate* news source.
https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/05/04/sickening-government-punishing-troops-spoke-benefit-cuts/

Government Punishing Troops Who Spoke Out Against Benefit Cuts

The Trudeau government is punishing Canadian soldiers for exercising the same freedom of speech they fight to defend for all of us.

Canadian troops serving in Kuwait – participating in the fight against Islamic State – used to get tax free incomes for serving in a danger zone.

Last year however, the Trudeau government shamefully took those benefits away.

Since then, troops serving at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait have been fighting to get their tax-free status back.

They had pointed out that other troops in Kuwait still had their tax-free status, and it made no sense to take it away from those serving in a dangerous place.

However, instead of restoring the benefits, the Trudeau government wanted to take the benefits away from another 300 Canadians serving in Kuwait.

Despicable.

Those troops at Camp Arifjan continued speaking out against the policy change, and thanks to their efforts and the advocacy of opposition MP’s, a vote in the House of Commons restored the tax benefit for those bravely serving Canada in a dangerous part of the world.

That should have been the end of it.

It wasn’t.

Trudeau government punishing those Veterans who spoke out

As reported by CTV, soldiers who fought against the change were told to take their concerns to MP’s, but were then investigated for complaining to those very same MP’s.

Then, the Trudeau government decided that the 15 troops at Camp Arifjan – who spoke out in the first place – would not get their benefits restored.

Keep in mind, this will cost the troops up to $1,800 every month.

Many people are rightfully outraged.

A mother of a Canadian soldier at Camp Arifjan told CTV the following about her son:

“He should have freedom of speech just like any other Canadian citizen. Why does he lose his rights as a Canadian citizen because he’s military? No.”

She added, “Any mission, in any of those countries, in any country that isn’t this one, is dangerous. You can’t tell me that he is going to be safe. You can’t tell me that they can protect him in a country that is volatile.”

Those 15 troops now feel they are being punished for speaking on behalf of their fellow soldiers.

Additionally, Canadian troops serving in the Sinai desert of Egypt – where the ISIS threat is growing – are also having their danger and hardship pay cut.

A sickening message

The punishment of the 15 Camp Arifjan troops for speaking their minds demonstrates that our government has a total lack of belief in freedom of speech. We have already seen this in numerous ways, but it is particularly sickening and despicable to see the very troops who fought for our free speech punished for exercising that speech themselves.Spencer Fernando

Saying the Prime Minister is not allowing troops to have "Freedom of Speech" is a bit of a stretch.  No matter what political party is in power all CAF Members are subject to QR&O 19.36

19.36 - DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION OR OPINION

(1) For the purposes of this article, the adjective "military" shall be construed as relating not only to the Canadian Forces but also to the armed forces of any country.

(2) Subject to article 19.375 (Communications to News Agencies), no officer or non-commissioned member shall without permission obtained under article 19.37 (Permission to Communicate Information):
a.publish in any form whatever or communicate directly or indirectly or otherwise disclose to an unauthorized person official information or the contents of an unpublished or classified official document or the contents thereof;
b.use that information or document for a private purpose;
c.publish in any form whatever any military information or the member's views on any military subject to unauthorized persons;
d.deliver publicly, or record for public delivery, either directly or through the medium of radio or television, a lecture, discourse or answers to questions relating to a military subject;
e.prepare a paper or write a script on any military subject for delivery or transmission to the public;
f.publish the member's opinions on any military question that is under consideration by superior authorities;
g.take part in public in a discussion relating to orders, regulations or instructions issued by the member's superiors;
h.disclose to an unauthorized person, without the authority of the department, agency or other body concerned, any information acquired in an official capacity while seconded, attached or loaned to that department, agency or other body;
i.furnish to any person, not otherwise authorized to receive them, official reports, correspondence or other documents, or copies thereof; or
j.publish in writing or deliver any lecture, address or broadcast in any dealing with a subject of a controversial nature affecting other departments of the public service or pertaining to public policy.

(3) This article does not apply to a writing, lecture, address or broadcast confined exclusively to members of the Canadian Forces.

dangerboy said:
Saying the Prime Minister is not allowing troops to have "Freedom of Speech" is a bit of a stretch.
I skimmed a couple of his blog entries and it's apparent that he cares more about bashing Trudeau than getting facts straight. 

Noted, and dismissed.  :boring:

Journeyman said:
I skimmed a couple of his blog entries and it's apparent that he cares more about bashing Trudeau than getting facts straight. 

Noted, and dismissed.  :boring:

According to this CBC report, Spencer Fernando was the chief-of-staff for the Manitoba Liberal party until 07 May 2016, when he resigned. Just a couple days later his girlfriend, Stephanie Danyluk (Liberal candidate for Fort Whyte) also resigned. No real details for the resignations.

Prior to that (2006-2015), he worked for both the federal and provincial Conservative parties. In Aug 2014, he got booted from the provincial PC party for writing an article supporting an inquiry into the missing/murdered aboriginal women.

His articles have appeared (2010 - 2013) in the Manitoban (Official students newspaper for the University of Manitoba), the Mytoba.ca, and the Easton Spectator.

Tax free status is linked to a combination of Risk and Hardship.

Those 15 soldiers live in hard accommodations on a base with a pool, a number of food courts, and 3 different PXs where their US counterparts head downtown to rent jet skis.  They never leave the Base.

They are not being punished. 

The other Canadians live in tents on a base without a pool, only 2 PXs, an outdoor food court, and where their US counterparts go jet skiing.  All but those that fly never leave the Base.

Obviously they face much greater dangers and deprivation and so are worthy of tax free status....................

Those that fly on the other hand face significant danger every day....that they leave the Base and fly over hostile territory.  They are completely worthy of tax free status.

Is there a specific place to find recommendations and suggestions on how to be best prepared for a tour to Baghdad?
From what to expect with geographic details, to 'must haves' for packing gucci kit/sniffle kit.
I'm sure any experienced member willing to chat would be helpful.
Thanks. 

Our folks just passed stuff word of mouth from crew to crew, so if I were you I'd try to find out who is in your slot now and ask them directly.  :2c:

Confirmation from CBC that one of the two Auroras are back home. 

Canada brings home 1 of 2 Aurora surveillance planes from anti-ISIS mission

One of the Canadian air force spy planes assigned to the campaign against the Islamic State has been quietly withdrawn and brought home, CBC News has learned.

The CP-140 Aurora, with a suite of high-tech surveillance equipment, was one of two that had been flying missions over northern Iraq and Syria since the fall of 2014.

The decision to bring one of the turboprop aircraft home was not announced by the Liberal government, which recently extended the deployment of the Canadian military, including special forces trainers on the ground, until the end of June.

A single CP-140 and a refuelling tanker remain in Kuwait, where the Canadian Air Task Force has been based, to continue operations alongside the U.S.-led coalition.

But the decision could signal the beginning of the end of Canada's military involvement in the anti-ISIS fight.

(More on link)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sajjan-iraq-isis-cp-140-1.4129219

Soon, our foreign policy will be characterized as "Words, not deeds."

That being said, we must be burning lots of hours into those already old airframes. I would hope that this is because someone recommended we cut sorties so we're not without the Auroras when a replacement shows up in 30 years.

Back