• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

MCG said:
The National Post has identified the wearer of the patch as MGen Milner, Comd 1 Cdn Div.  I'm just pondering the potential implications of Comd 1 Div being in Kuwait when there is not (yet?) an Army mission.

Carpet shopping, perhaps?  :)

SeaKingTacco said:
Carpet shopping, perhaps?  :)

He is over saying sorry to ISIS for all the fellows we just "neutralized" .... Canadians are so apologetic!  Even when we're shooting you with a Macmillan Tac .50 :D

MCG said:
The National Post has identified the wearer of the patch as MGen Milner, Comd 1 Cdn Div.  I'm just pondering the potential implications of Comd 1 Div being in Kuwait when there is not (yet?) an Army mission.
And here I thought that you were au fait with how things run nowadays?

The Canadian Army is a force generator, and while it's true that 1 Can Div HQ is administratively part of the Canadian Army, its mission (found at this link) may help illustrate to you why the Comd 1 Can Div would be there:

1st Cdn Div HQ will provide task-tailored, deployable joint headquarters at high readiness to command and control joint, inter-agency, multinational forces to achieve national objectives at home and abroad.

Pay attention now, because the key points are in italics.

So, though this isn't an army mission, Comd 1 Can Div more than likely has a vested interest in operations there, given his formation's mission.

Regarding our SOF mission, according in this article from the Marine Corps Times reproduced under the Fair Dealing Provision of the Copy Right Act, Canadians are operating closer to the front than the Americans are.

Canadians closer to combat in Iraq than U.S. troops

By Andrew Tilghman, Staff Writer 8:45 a.m. EST January 21, 2015

American troops in Iraq appear to be more cautious than Canadians.

A Canadian general revealed Monday that his special operations troops in Iraq are now routinely going out with Iraqi soldiers "to the forward-most Iraqi fighting positions" and providing "eyes on" to help coalition airstrikes by "marking the target with a laser."

The mission described by Canadian Brig. Gen. Mike Rouleau, commander of Canadian Special Operations Forces, is very different from the one U.S. officials say American service members are performing in Iraq.

According to the Pentagon, U.S. troops on the "advise and assist mission" are staying out of harm's way inside headquarters facilities with Iraqi units at the brigade level or higher. These U.S. missions are underway only in several locations, including Baghdad, Taji and Al Asad Air Base in Anbar.

President Obama has said repeatedly that the 3,100 U.S. troops authorized for duty in Iraq will not have a "combat role," and U.S. military officials say today's forces are not operating on the battlefield alongside Iraqi troops. So officially, there are no Americans on the ground providing the kind of "eyes on" laser targeting that the Canadian general described.

"As far as we know, we do not have that capability," Army Maj. Neysa Williams, a spokeswoman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "When the information was released from the Canadian general, that was the first we had heard of it."

Rouleau told reporters in the Canadian capital of Ottawa that his forces got into a firefight last week, marking the first time that Western military officials have acknowledged a direct combat engagement with Islamic State fighters.

The Canadian general said a team of his special operators had "completed a planning session with senior Iraqi leaders several kilometers behind the front lines" and "when they moved forward to … the front lines in order to visualize what they had discussed over a map, they came under immediate and effective mortar and machine-gun fire."

In response, the Canadian forces alongside the Iraqi troops exchanged fire with the militants, "placing effective sniper fire on the enemy positions, neutralizing the mortar and the machine-gun position," Rouleau said.

When reporters asked whether this type of operation reflected an expansion of the U.S.-led coalition's mission in Iraq, Rouleau said it does not, and explained that operating in forward positions with Iraqis is a part of the "advise and assist" mission.

"Let me be clear about the advise and assist training: We do all advise-and-assist training kilometers behind the front lines. This represents about 80 percent of our output. The other 20 percent or so happens in forward positions, mostly close to the front lines but sometimes right at the front lines if that is the only place from where we can accomplish it," Rouleau said.

"I think the situation is a lot more nuanced than just saying if you exchange fire with a belligerent force all of a sudden it's a combat mission. This is an advise-and-assist mission. In the context of that, our ability to bring air power is one of the things that we can add value to the Iraqi forces with. Moreover, we always deploy with the inherent right to self-defense. We have the right to be able to defend ourselves if we're fired upon."

Williams, the Combined Joint Task Force spokeswoman, said she is unaware of any U.S. units with joint terminal attack controllers, or JTACs — the ground troops who specialize in relaying detailed, time-sensitive targeting information to aircraft conducting airstrikes.

The potential use of JTACs in Iraq has been a subject of high-level debate inside the Pentagon. Last year, the head of U.S. Central Command, Army Gen. Lloyd Austin, requested JTACs to help improve the effectiveness of airstrikes, but that request was not approved by higher-level U.S. officials.

The accuracy of airstrikes is an issue of concern for the American-led coalition that has dropped more than 1,700 bombs since the air campaign began in August. U.S. officials have acknowledged in recent weeks that they are conducting investigations into alleged civilian causalities caused by the coalition strikes in Iraq and Syria.

Eye In The Sky said:
They are probably hoping more for an image of UN Peacekeepers as shown below, as opposed to attach helicopters; its' not appropriate for us to "whip out our armed forces', after all...

peacekeeper_teddy_bear.jpg
Correct - more like this ....
mi24_ukraine_uno-884_2.jpg

Article Link

Air Task Force-Iraq takes part in Sinjar Mountains Offensive

Article / January 21, 2015

By: Air Task Force-Iraq Public Affairs

CAMP PATRICE VINCENT, KUWAIT— Throughout December 2014, members of Air Task Force-Iraq, serving on Operation IMPACT, supported the efforts against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in an effort to break their siege of the Sinjar Mountains.

Thousands of Yazidis and other Iraqi civilians fled to the area following attacks on their villages and the town of Sinjar throughout late July and early August 2014.

Several human rights and observer organizations in the region reported that those who fled to the mountains were subjected to starvation, and lacked clean drinking water and medical care for several months as ISIL militants surrounded them. Hundreds of men, women, and children were abducted and killed.

In response to the immediate threat to the approximately 30,000 people trapped on the mountain, coalition aircraft commenced humanitarian aid drops. These air drops included basic supplies such as food, water, and shelter and were conducted at low flight levels by coalition transport aircraft under the threat of ISIL surface-to-air attacks.

In direct support of humanitarian aid drops, CF-18’s provided top cover for a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) C-130 Hercules transport aircraft on 20 November, ensuring the transport crew was able to safely parachute supplies to waiting refugees below. Canadian fighter jets remained in close proximity to the transport aircraft to protect it from ISIL surface-to-air threats or attacks.

“After orbiting the area overhead and seeing people waiting for the drop from the [RAAF] Hercules, it was nice to finally see the pallets of aid touch the ground and see people rush out to retrieve them,” said a pilot from 425 Tactical Fighter Squadron, 3 Wing Bagotville.

Working as part of a larger, coalition air effort coordinated through the Combined Air Operations Centre (CAOC), Canadian aircraft directly supported ground efforts to liberate those displaced persons on Sinjar Mountain.

Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) aircraft flew strikes, surveillance and air-to-air refuelling missions in support of 8,000 Iraqi security forces troops who launched the offensive in late November to oust ISIL militants from positions around the mountains.

CF-18 fighters also carried out strikes using 500lbs and 2000lbs bombs against ISIL vehicles, heavy weapons and bunkers that had been used to guard chokepoints along roads leading to and from the mountains.

“Given the Iraqi forces’ relatively light arms, it’s rewarding to contribute our heavy weapons to achieve effects on the ground,” said a CF-18 pilot from 4 Wing Cold Lake, flying in his first overseas mission. “It’s also rewarding to employ my training after four years as a CF-18 pilot towards aiding in the defeat of an enemy like ISIL.”

Meanwhile, members of the Long Range Patrol detachment, with their CP-140M Auroras, contributed to the overall intelligence gathering in the area by locating targets for coalition air strikes and collecting battle damage assessment information following the attacks.

“We had a high mission tempo during the operation and the technicians were working hard to make sure we got airborne,” said a member of the Long Range Patrol detachment.  “The Block III CP-140 has really been shining on this mission and our crew members have been able to maximize the effectiveness of the camera, radar, and other sensors in the fight. ISIL is having a hard time hiding.”

Enabling fighter coalition strike operations, the crew of the Polaris air-to-air refueller aircraft was active near the area of operations, offloading several hundred thousand pounds of fuel to Canadian and other coalition aircraft throughout the offensive.

On 18 December, reports that a main road leading into the mountains had been retaken from ISIL resulted in a large exodus of refugee Yazidis off the mountain sides, as well as opened a corridor for aid to reach those still in the area. Only a day later, on 19 December, RCAF CF-18s conducted air strikes on ISIL vehicles and a hardened rocket emplacement between Mosul and Sinjar near the town of Tal Afar.

“Each day that I flew over the area, you could see the line advancing as the Iraqi forces pushed forward,” said a CF-18 pilot serving on his first deployment overseas.  “You could also see a definite improvement in Iraqi forces’ abilities.”

Iraqi forces were able to reach Sinjar Mountain on 19 December 2014 to establish a humanitarian corridor. For the deployed Canadian personnel involved with Op IMPACT, it is satisfying to know that the same people whom they had helped with Canadian aircraft are now liberated and receiving the care and protection not experienced since ISIL’s aggression in the summer of 2014.

The CDS notes that Op Impact has evolved in this CP story by Murray Brewster reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act.

No contradiction in Iraq comments: Lawson

By Murray Brewster — CP — Jan 22 2015

OTTAWA - Canada's top military commander is trying to clear up an apparent contradiction about special forces soldiers directing air strikes in Iraq.

Gen. Tom Lawson, the chief of defence staff, said publicly at end of October that the elite troops would not accompany Iraqi or Kurdish forces into battle, nor would they pinpoint targets for coalition warplanes.

Opposition critics have pointed to those remarks and others from Prime Minister Stephen Harper last September as proof the government misled people about the mission, but Lawson says things have changed since then.

"To be clear, the situation on the ground has evolved since I offered those remarks and we have increased our assistance with respect to targeting air strikes in direct correlation with an increased threat encountered by the (Iraqis)," Lawson said in a written statement.

"Our personnel are not seeking to directly engage the enemy, but we are providing assistance to forces that are in combat."

The Iraqi government, throughout the fall, pressured the U.S.-led coalition to step up the bombing campaign to help contain Islamic State extremists as they overran swaths of the country's north and west.

Brig.-Gen. Mike Rouleau, the commander of Canada's special forces, said Monday his troops have guided 13 bombing missions from the front lines since the end of November.

National Defence has held several briefings since then, but did not reveal the expanded role, which Rouleau denied was an escalation.

Defence Minister Rob Nicholson, in a conference call on Thursday, suggested that guiding air strikes was a possibility considered when the deployment was approved in September and that the government was careful not to tie the hands of soldiers in the field.

"We didn't put limits on their ability to advise and assist the Iraqis," Nicholson said after a meeting of members of the anti-Islamic State coalition in London. "The special forces were there to provide advice and assistance and that's what they've done."

The meeting of 21 countries involved in the fight against the Islamic State covered a broad range of issues outside of the military campaign, which has been the main focus of the Harper government's public comments.

Nicholson reiterated how much humanitarian aid Canada has contributed and spoke in general terms about allied efforts to cut off the flow of funds and foreign fighters bound for the battlefields of Iraq and Syria.

If only our politicians and media would make the focus of OP IMPACT on the actual operation and the good it is doing for the people in that area, instead of their own political agendas and power struggles.  Like every other past operation (for the love of Pete, don't say "conflict" or "war"...), Canadians are putting their lives on the line while others sit back in chairs and 'tsk tsk', most of them never having so much as put on a Cadet uniform.

If anyone thinks that is actually possible, I also have a bridge to sell, and a unicorn tied up in the back yard.

Article Link

Op IMPACT from a First Officer Perspective

Article / January 19, 2015

By A First Officer of the Long Range Patrol Detachment, OP IMPACT

It’s surprising how quickly world events can sneak up on you. I, like many Canadians, had been tracking events in the Middle East for months without a thought of how it might specifically affect me. I was just recently married so my mind was pleasantly occupied with getting used to wedded life. It wasn’t until I attempted to book leave for my honeymoon, and was told to wait, that I realized world events were about to become very real for me. I was told to get ready to deploy.

As time went on, announcements and debates took place in Parliament. Plans began to solidify and our squadron prepared to join the fight in Iraq. I had only six months of operational experience on squadron; one of the most junior First Officers in the Long Range Patrol (LRP) fleet. I had less than 300 flying hours under my belt and had participated in only one major exercise—focused on anti-submarine warfare.

For many others and me, a drastic shift in mindset and mission focus was coming. By the time the Government of Canada had formally ordered the mission, our crews were identified and the preparation and training were underway in earnest for the new challenge.

I was impressed by the hard work and flexibility of our crews and support staff at 14 Wing Greenwood, N.S. as we trained over long days, including weekends and Thanksgiving, to ensure we were as prepared as possible to deploy. This also meant a few hard weeks of theatre and mission-specific training, as well as more routine readiness training, such as refresher training on the pistol and rifle.

What challenges did I expect? I wondered if we would be under fire often, how dangerous the country in which we would be based would be, and how difficult the heat, sand and dust would be to endure.

The challenges we have faced in actuality have proven to be somewhat different.

Initially there were the challenges that always accompany deploying on the initial rotations. We were the first on the ground; things were not fully set up when we arrived.  I learned that we were the key element required to transition a war zone into a smooth operation.

Added to the hard work required of the first rotation, it is difficult to be away from family at the best of times and especially during the holidays.

The heat has proven to be quite mild in the fall and winter; with temperatures similar to a mild summer day back in Canada. However, at night the temperature dips down to near zero quite often, so many of us wish we had brought more warm clothing.

What we didn’t expect was the challenge of an aggressive flying schedule. Working 18-20 hour days, every other day means that fatigue is something we constantly need to be aware of. On top of this, our flights are not always at the same time each day, so our sleep patterns are required to change often and quickly. Given the long work days, it is important we remain alert for signs of fatigue both in ourselves and with our fellow crew mates.

Beyond the fatigue factor, one of the largest challenges is remaining motivated and effective day in and day out. Back home there are normal daily life distractions of family, friends, hobbies and even simple errands that break up your day and take your mind off work. Here there are no such distractions. As a result, the daily routine can develop into a daily grind if you’re not careful.

As a less-experienced member of the crew, I’ve learned it is important to keep the larger operational picture in mind. While being the “unblinking eye” is sometimes unglamorous, this is the task at hand, and it is an important role to fill for the coalition. Our intelligence section and chain-of-command do a great job of keeping us informed on what we, as a coalition, are achieving. This goes a long way toward keeping us motivated and eager to stay in the fight.

So how do we overcome these challenges? The logistical and operational challenges that go with being first on the ground in theatre are immense, and despite some moments that proved frustrating, Air Task Force-Iraq has worked quickly through this phase and is having success.

In the LRP (Long Range Patrol) Detachment, one of the primary ways many of us relieve stress is to ramp up our physical training. Both the Joint Task Force and the Air Task Force are holding fitness challenges. Many of us work out daily. It helps to pass the time and keep us in a good mindset, which goes hand-in-hand with helping us shift our sleep schedules.

Motivation comes from many sources. For many of us, the ability we have here to keep in regular touch with our families has been an immense morale boost.

We are now through the early months of our deployment. The remaining months will be full of challenges, but the Air Task Force and the LRP Detachment have the tools to overcome them. We are determined to fly over Iraq, to do our part to improve stability in the region and stop the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.  And before long, we will return home to our loved ones.

Eye In The Sky said:
They are probably hoping more for an image of UN Peacekeepers as shown below, as opposed to attach helicopters; its' not appropriate for us to "whip out our armed forces', after all...

peacekeeper_teddy_bear.jpg

I remember the days of peacekeeping. The ROE could stated like this: If you must fire at people that are firing at you, make sure one of you has a sucking chest wound or similar wound. If you are not wounded, then the fire wasn't effective and you have no reason to return fire.

Of course I jest........ ;)

I just picked up this Sun News report on Facebook about the PM's comment re Canadian troops engaging ISIS forces in Iraq. It is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright act. The story includes comments from the NDP and the Liberal leader.

If ISIS terrorists fire on Canadian troops, 'we'll kill them': Harper
5:47 pm, January 22nd, 2015
5:19 pm, January 22nd, 2015

JESSICA HUME | QMI AGENCY

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper made it clear that if ISIS terrorists fire at Canadian troops, "we're going to kill them."

Harper's was responding to media questions in St. Catharines, Ont., on Thursday about whether the nature of the Canadian mission in Iraq would shift to more of a combat role.

"This is a robust mission where (Canadian Forces) are going to make (Iraqi Security Forces) effective to take on the Islamic State and deal with them," he said. "And if those guys fire at us, we're going to fire back and we're going to kill them."

Asked if Canada's initial commitment to provide advice to the Iraqi government and security forces as well as a six-month airstrike mission would not change, Harper replied "No."

Questions about the Canadian Forces' role arose earlier this week amid reports soldiers fired back at ISIS militants after coming under attack.

The official Opposition accused Harper of lying about the role of Canadian troops.

"I specifically asked him in the House of Commons whether or not Canadian Forces would be targeting troops on the other side," NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair said this week. "He did not tell the truth."

Earlier Thursday, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Tom Lawson issued a statement clarifying Canada's role in Iraq.

"The situation on the ground has evolved (since October) and we increased our assistance with respect to airstrikes in direct correlation with an increased threat encountered by the Iraqi Security Forces,"

Lawson said, adding that Canada's troops "are not seeking to directly engage the enemy but we are providing assistance to forces that are in combat."

Defence department officials have given numerous technical briefings to the media since October, none of which included information that there had been an exchange of fire between Canadian troops and ISIS militants.

Defence Minister Rob Nicholson couldn't explain why that information hadn't been provided earlier.

"We haven't done anything we shouldn't be doing," he said, adding that "we didn't put limits on their abilities to advise and assist the Iraqis."

NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar has expressed concerns about "mission creep" for months. His party wants the emphasis on humanitarian contributions and said Thursday he's worried by what he's hearing.

"What has evolved in Iraq is that Canada's role has become increasingly military as opposed to humanitarian," he told QMI Agency. "With Canadian soldiers now involved in frontline combat operations on the ground, Conservatives seem more focused on being part of military actions than on resolving urgent humanitarian need."

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau was vague when asked whether he thinks Canada's role in the coalition makes the country more vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

"Canada has always played a role in the world and we'll continue to," Trudeau said. "What's extremely important is that Canada is a force for good and presence that is pushing the kind of human values, safety and security around the world."

Hamish Seggie said:
I remember the days of peacekeeping. The ROE could stated like this: If you must fire at people that are firing at you, make sure one of you has a sucking chest wound or similar wound. If you are not wounded, then the fire wasn't effective and you have no reason to return fire.

Actually......I remember an RCR MCpl, who was my instructor way back when, telling us bright eyed and bushy tailed OCdts a Cyprus story, that if fired upon, they were to fire three rounds into their jeep first then return fire.    >:D

Hamish Seggie said:

I seem to remember back in 96 before deploying to Bosnia with 2VP, being briefed by a legal officer words to the effect that "if you return fire and kill someone, you WILL be charged with everything we can find to throw at you."  Gave me a pretty warm squishy feeling.

Kat Stevens said:
I seem to remember back in 96 before deploying to Bosnia with 2VP, being briefed by a legal officer words to the effect that "if you return fire and kill someone, you WILL be charged with everything we can find to throw at you."  Gave me a pretty warm squishy feeling.

That sounds about right.

Kat Stevens said:

I heard the same thing from a co-worker who was in Bosnia around the same time, except I believe he was with the RCR.

George Wallace said:
Actually......I remember an RCR MCpl, who was my instructor way back when, telling us bright eyed and bushy tailed OCdts a Cyprus story, that if fired upon, they were to fire three rounds into their jeep first then return fire.    >:D

Which leaves two rounds in the mag.

We only were issued five rounds......

One media outlet's "mission creep" is another's "evolution" ....
....  On Thursday morning, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Tom Lawson issued a statement to clarify comments he made last October, when he told CTV’s Question period that Canadian special ops would not be guiding airstrikes from the ground.

“To be clear, the situation on the ground has evolved… and we have increased our assistance with respect to targeting airstrikes in direct correlation with an increased threat encountered by the (Iraqi Security Forces),” Lawson said in a statement to CTV News.

Canadian special ops “are not seeking to directly engage the enemy, but we are providing assistance to forces that are in combat,” he went on ....

More from the CDS:
“I understand that there may be some questions about my comments on Oct. 19th about the nature of activities being undertaken by Canada’s Special Operations Forces in Iraq. To be clear, the situation on the ground has evolved since I offered those remarks, and we have increased our assistance with respect to targeting air strikes in direct correlation with an increased threat encountered by the ISF.

“Our SOF Personnel are not seeking to directly engage the enemy, but we are providing assistance to forces that are in combat. The activities of Canada’s Special Operations Forces in Iraq, as described by Generals Vance and Rouleau on January 19th, are entirely consistent with the advise and assist mandate given to the Canadian Armed Forces by the government. You should be justifiably proud of your men and women in uniform.”

This CP story, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act reports that Canadian Special Forces have come under fire twice in the past week.

Special forces troops involved in two more firefights with ISIL fighters

By The Canadian Press — The Canadian Press — Jan 26 2015

OTTAWA - Canadian special forces troops have been involved in more firefights with Islamic State extremists.

Navy Capt. Paul Forget says the elite troops, who were advising Kurdish fighters in battlefield planning, came under fire twice while visiting the front over the last week.

He says in both cases the Canadian troops returned fire and "neutralized" the threats.

The gun battles are in addition to an incident outlined last week by the commander of special forces, Brig.-Gen. Michael Rouleau.

As well, Forget says CF-18 jetfighters have conducted 12 more air strikes supporting Iraqi forces who are preparing to liberate Mosul, the country's second largest city.

can't wait to see what the liberals and NPD are going to say about those 2 encounters !

Back