• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Yes and no.  There is more going on that what we hear in the media, well all know Ramadi fell, and we all know why.  We can only do so much, but I don't think it is as bad as the media would have you believe.  If we sit back and let fate decide the outcome, (IMHO) we would be in a world of hurt years from now.  What we need (again my opinion) is the Muslim leaders from around the world to step up and start publicly condoning this extreme behaviour.  I have yet to hear/see anything from anyone, just the occasional "we are a peaceful religion" quip on the news.  If there was a collective stand against extremeism there would be fewer individuals heading to the middle east to fight.  We need Iran to stop publishing bullshit news stories, and take a more active role in this fight.  We need Turkey to stop sending arms to the rebels in Syria, they could also stop taking ISIS oil too, yeah that'd be great... Finally we need the people of Iraq to stand up and say enough is enough, lets fucking clean house. 

I thought this kind of logic and thought process was STRICTLY prohibited in the Det lines??  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
I'm going to throw out a WAG that you haven't turned wrenches in the ATF-I lines yet.

Been there, done that. My opinion is based on what I've seen from our front lines. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be wasting away in that desert shit hole again.

Quirky said:
Been there, done that. My opinion is based on what I've seen from our front lines. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be wasting away in that desert crap hole again.

Cool, well with people like you turning the wrenches, who needs ISIS.  May as well put up the white flag already as it seems you've already surrendered the initiative.  Do us all a favour and GTFO already so we can find someone that will do the job with at least a little zeal.  I'm certain you're probably content to sit back and collect a paycheque though. 

The last thing this military needs is more Bees In Trees Collecting Honey.   

Quirky said:
Been there, done that. My opinion is based on what I've seen from our front lines. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be wasting away in that desert shit hole again.

I know people who have XXX hours logged over the badlands and don't have an opinion based on being "at or near the front lines" (flying over/around them isn't the same as being boots on the ground, right?), and I am not trying to be condescending towards you or any 500 series types but unless you guys are listening to the briefs and seeing the small/medium/big picture and then working that airspace, I'll nicely suggest you probably don't have as much 'fact' as you have 'opinion'.  Again, I am not being condescending, just realistic.  It's just the different jobs we do for the big blue machine that differentiates what info we are privy to.

RoyalDrew said:
Do us all a favour and GTFO already so we can find someone that will do the job with at least a little zeal.

I care about getting my job done so the aircraft can meet its mission, we didn't miss one sortie due to maintenance during roto 0. I don't give a damn what the end result of that is, the middle east can burn in hell for all I care, you'll find the exact same sentiment among my peers.

Maybe you've just touched on the difference between an Army and AirForce mentality. We (Royal We, we're screwed if Sigs is doing this) have to hold the ground and give a crap what happens there. Turning wrenches on a CF-18, as important as that may be, affords you the luxury of disassociating yourself with any of the conditions in the area because you can tunnel into your work without consequence.

I wouldn't generalize to Air Force. It is hard for pilots to dissociate themselves with what's going on on the ground.  Having seen both fighter wings in 2 different theatres over the last 4 years, I can guarantee most techs are also interested on what's going on and how we are helping.

Yeah, its far easier for pilots and aircrew who are flying missions to get "sold" on whats happening on the ground, especially when you're running CAS. Was more leaning towards the ground crew, who'll never see where the shiny planes are headed.

Then again, this guy might just be here for a paycheque, and I'm over analyzing.

Perspective changes with time and progression in trade and rank. We didn't think a few Balkan countries were all that great either.....nor did we think a Mediterranean island nation all that great.

Turns out it was worthwhile.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
  We need Iran to stop publishing bullshit news stories, and take a more active role in this fight. 

Iran is already taking a very active role in the fight, and has been since December.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/middleeast/iran-fighting-isis/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-fight-against-isis-iraq-effective-could-lead-to-consequences/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iran-launches-piloted-air-strikes-against-isis-flying-in-to-iraqi-airspace-for-first-time-9899487.html

Harrigan

In case anyone asked:

RAAUZYUW RCCPJAQ1041 1881744-UUUU--RCEMDUS RCEMEYS RCEMFWS RCEMFXA
RCEMGBS RCEMHNS RCEMHZS RCEMKDS RCEMLES RCEMMTS RCEMNGS RCEMPDS
RCEMRKS RCEMSDS RCEMTOS RCEMWCS RCEMWFS RCEMWRS RCEMWVA RCEMWWA
RCEMWYA RCEMZZA RCEOCEA RCEODEP RCEOJOC RCEONWA RCEOPRA RCFPKGA.
ZNR UUUUU ZOC
RIFTST T NCISS LATINA
RXFENDC T NADEFCOL
RXCAFDA T CA NLR HQ SACT
RXFKBA T CFSU E DET RAMSTEIN
RXFKI T CFSU E DET BRUNSSUM
RAYASAP T CANSTANDREP CANBERRA
R 301812Z JUN 15
FM NDHQ CMP OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 118/15 CMP 054/15
SIC WAC
SECTION 1 OF 2
SUBJECT: ADDITION OF QUALIFYING SERVICE - CAMPAIGN AND SERVICE
MEDALS
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
REFS: A. CANFORGEN 003/09 CMP 002/09 081950Z JAN 09
B. CANFORGEN 047/09 CMP 021/09 041418Z MAR 09
C. CANFORGEN 096/09 CMP 042/09 201315Z MAY 09
D. CANFORGEN 184/14 CMP 084/14 201429Z OCT 14
E. CANFORGEN 080/10 CMP 037/10 011817Z APR 10
F. CANFORGEN 192/14 CMP 090/14 311801Z OCT 14
1. AFC HAS APPROVED THE ADDITION OF THE FOL SVC TO THE ELIGIBILITY
LISTS FOR CERTAIN CAMPAIGN AND SERVICE MEDALS, AS FOLLOWS:
A. GENERAL CAMPAIGN STAR SOUTH-WEST ASIA (GCS-SWA):
- FURTHER TO PARA 1. A(2) OF REF E, THE END DATE FOR THE NAVAL

PAGE 2 RCCPJAQ1041 UNCLAS
THEATRE IS 14 MAY 2014
B. GENERAL CAMPAIGN STAR EXPEDITION (GCS-EXP):
- SERVICE BY CAF MEMBERS INSIDE THE THEATRE OF OPERATIONS CONSISTING
OF THE POLITICAL BOUNDARIES OF SYRIA, ITS AIRSPACE AND TERRITORIAL
WATERS, SINCE 20 APRIL 2015 (OP IMPACT)
C. GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL SOUTH-WEST ASIA (GSM-SWA):
(1) ELIGIBILITY SHALL BE SUSPENDED FOR CAF MEMBERS DEPLOYED TO
QATAR, AL UDEID AIR BASE, ON 4 OCTOBER 2014 UNTIL THE DAY FOLLOWING
THE CONCLUSION OF OP IMPACT. ELIGIBILITY IN THAT LOCATION WILL BE
RESTORED AT THE CONCLUSION OF OP IMPACT
(2) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS DEPLOYED TO FORWARD LOGISTICS SITES (FLS)
IN DIRECT SUPPORT TO CANADIAN SHIPS ATTACHED TO THE COMBINED TASK
FORCE (CTF) 150, 151 OR 152 (OP ARTEMIS), WHILE CONDUCTING
ACTIVITIES IN THE PORTS LOCATED IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES: REPUBLIC
OF DJIBOUTI, OMAN, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, KENYA, INDIA, EGYPT,
TANZANIA, BAHRAIN AND PAKISTAN, AND ANY OTHER PORTS CONTIGUOUS TO
THE NAVAL THEATRE CONSISTING OF THE PERSIAN GULF, THE GULF OF OMAN,
THE GULF OF ADEN, THE RED SEA, THE SUEZ CANAL AND THOSE PARTS OF THE
INDIAN OCEAN AND THE ARABIAN SEA THAT ARE WEST OF SIXTY-EIGHT
DEGREES EAST LONGITUDE AND NORTH OF FIVE DEGREES SOUTH LATITUDE,

PAGE 3 RCCPJAQ1041 UNCLAS
FROM 22 APRIL 2012 TO 14 MAY 2014
D. GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL EXPEDITION (GSM-EXP):
- SERVICE BY CAF MEMBERS DEPLOYED TO KUWAIT AND QATAR SINCE 5
OCTOBER 2014 (DURING OP IMPACT). THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO
THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS: ALI AL SALAM AIR BASE, AHMED AL JABAR AIR
BASE, AL MUBARAK AIR BASE, CAMP ARIFJAN, THE STRATEGIC LINES OF
COMMUNICATIONS (SLOC) DETACHMENT KUWAIT OR OPERATIONAL SUPPORT HUB
KUWAIT, AND AL UDEID AIR BASE
E. OPERATIONAL SERVICE MEDAL EXPEDITION (OSM-EXP):
(1) SERVICE OF CANADIAN PERSONNEL PARTICIPATING IN US CENTCOM-LED
MULTINATIONAL COMBINED MARITIME FORCE (CMF) OPERATIONS (OP ARTEMIS)
UNDER THE COMMAND AND CONTROL OF COMBINED TASK FORCES (CTF) 150, 151
OR 152, IN THE THEATRE OF OPERATIONS CONSISTING OF THE BOUNDARIES OF
THE ARABIAN GULF, THE GULF OF OMAN, THE GULF OF ADEN, THE RED SEA,
THE SUEZ CANAL AND THOSE PARTS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN AND ARABIAN SEA
THAT ARE WEST OF SEVENTY-FIVE DEGREES EAST LONGITUDE AND NORTH OF
THIRTY DEGREES SOUTH LATITUDE, SINCE 15 MAY 2014
FORCE (CTF) 150, 151 OR 152 (OP ARTEMIS), WHILE CONDUCTING

PAGE 4 RCCPJAQ1041 UNCLAS
ACTIVITIES IN THE PORTS LOCATED IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES: REPUBLIC
OF DJIBOUTI, OMAN, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, KENYA, INDIA, EGYPT,
TANZANIA, BAHRAIN AND PAKISTAN, AND ANY FUTURE PORTS CONTIGUOUS TO
THE NAVAL THEATRE CONSISTING OF THE PERSIAN GULF, THE GULF OF OMAN,
THE GULF OF ADEN, THE RED SEA, THE SUEZ CANAL AND THOSE PARTS OF THE
INDIAN OCEAN AND THE ARABIAN SEA THAT ARE WEST OF SEVENTY-FIVE
DEGREES EAST LONGITUDE AND NORTH OF THIRTY DEGREES SOUTH LATITUDE,
SINCE 15 MAY 2014
F. SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL NATO (SSM-NATO):
(1) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS WHO DEPLOYED TO CAMPIA TURZII, ROMANIA,
LITHUANIA AND SPANGDAHLEM AIRBASE IN GERMANY AS PART OF THE AIR TASK
FORCE (ATF), OR WHO DEPLOYED TO EASTERN AND CENTRAL EUROPE AS PART
OF THE LAND TASK FORCE (LTF), SINCE 29 APRIL 2014 (OP REASSURANCE)
NO MULTIPLYING FACTOR
(2) SERVICE ONBOARD SHIPS DEPLOYED UNDER THE STANDING NATO MARITIME
GROUP 2 (SNMG 2) SINCE 29 APRIL 2014 PROVIDED THE SERVICE IS NOT
RECOGNIZED BY A NATO MEDAL. ONLY TIME SPENT UNDER NATO COMMAND IS
ELIGIBLE - TRANSIT TIME DOES NOT COUNT. NO MULTIPLYING FACTOR
G. SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL EXPEDITION (SSM-EXP):
(1) ELIGIBILITY SHALL BE SUSPENDED FOR CAF MEMBERS DEPLOYED TO

PAGE 5 RCCPJAQ1041 UNCLAS
KUWAIT IN THE STRATEGIC LINES OF COMMUNICATIONS (SLOC) DETACHMENT
KUWAIT OR THE OPERATIONAL SUPPORT HUB KUWAIT ON 4 OCTOBER 2014 UNTIL
THE DAY FOLLOWING THE CONCLUSION OF OP IMPACT. ELIGIBILITY IN THAT
LOCATION WILL BE RESTORED AT THE CONCLUSION OF OP IMPACT
FORCE (CTF) 150, 151 OR 152 (OP ARTEMIS), TO THE OPERATIONAL SUPPORT
HUB KUWAIT, AND WHILE CONDUCTING ACTIVITIES IN THE PORT OF SHUWAIKH
IN KUWAIT SINCE 22 APRIL 2012 (EXCEPT OP IMPACT PERIOD WHICH
QUALIFIES FOR GSM-EXP)
(3) FURTHER TO PARA 1. A(2) OF REF F, THE END DATE HAS BEEN REMOVED
FROM THIS ONGOING OPERATION (OP RENDER SAFE)
2. A PERSON CANNOT QUALIFY FOR TWO CAMPAIGN OR SERVICE MEDALS FOR
THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME. THEREFORE, IAW PARAS 1.C(1) AND 1.G(1), ANY
MEDALS AWARDED FOR SERVICE IN THOSE LOCATIONS AFTER 4 OCTOBER 2015
WILL NEED TO BE RELINQUISHED BEFORE APPLICATIONS CAN BE SUBMITTED
FOR APPROPRIATE RECOGNITION IAW PARA 1.D
3. OTHER DETAILS MAY BE FOUND ON THE DH R WEB SITE AT
HTTP://WWW.CMP-CPM.FORCES.GC.CA/DHR-DDHR/CHC-TDH/INDEX-ENG.ASP
4. APPLICATIONS FOR ELIGIBLE PERS SHALL BE MADE IAW REFS A, B AND D

PAGE 6 RCCPJAQ1041 UNCLAS
5. AT TIME OF APPLICATION, PROOF OF SERVICE SHALL BE SUPPLIED IAW
REF C (FOR EXAMPLE: PERSONNEL SERVING AS AIRCREW SHALL SUPPLY COPIES
OF THEIR FLIGHT LOG SHOWING THE DEPLOYED SERVICE IN QUESTION)
END OF ENGLISH TEXT

I'm a bit disappointed that they decided to use a "catch-all" medal (the GCS-Exp) as opposed to minting a new GCS Ribbon specifically for Op IMPACT, which is a significant combat mission for the CAF.

Infanteer said:
I'm a bit disappointed that they decided to use a "catch-all" medal (the GCS-Exp) as opposed to minting a new GCS Ribbon specifically for Op IMPACT, which is a significant combat mission for the CAF.
Especially if it transitions to a larger mission later.

Infanteer said:

Still better than the NATO medal that was awarded for Op MOBILE...

Infanteer said:

Agreed, however this is what most people were expecting.  It is a nice ribbon at least, as well as the GSM-Exp.

medals.jpg

D. GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL EXPEDITION (GSM-EXP):
- SERVICE BY CAF MEMBERS DEPLOYED TO KUWAIT AND QATAR SINCE 5 OCTOBER 2014 (DURING OP IMPACT). THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS: ALI AL SALAM AIR BASE, AHMED AL JABAR AIR BASE, AL MUBARAK AIR BASE, CAMP ARIFJAN, THE STRATEGIC LINES OF COMMUNICATIONS (SLOC) DETACHMENT KUWAIT OR OPERATIONAL SUPPORT HUB
KUWAIT, AND AL UDEID AIR BASE

It's actually Ali Al Salem. 

A bit disappointed that aircrew require 30 missions to be eligible for the Star.  No fighter pilot will get it (or very few).

SupersonicMax said:
A bit disappointed that aircrew require 30 missions to be eligible for the Star.  No fighter pilot will get it (or very few).

Despite what "awwwww...poor fighter pilots!" comments may follow, I am hoping they adjust something for this.

Why?

- fighter pilots are the folks who are operating in what I will call 'the threat envelope' for that theatre. 
- fighter pilots are the ones putting iron on the ground.  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-abroad-current/op-impact-airstrikes.page
- fighter pilots are the ones who are conducting the deep fight (Syria)

The ISR and Tanker fleets are in the fight but not the same way.  Speaking for the 140 community, I don't know one person who thinks us and the tanker dudes should be getting the throwing star while the 18s don't.  Something is wrong there.

I have, however, heard more than a few comments on how the aircrews are getting the same risk allowance as the folks who sit in air conditioned offices and never leave the camps.  ::)

For those curious, info on the eligibility on the GCS-Exp prior to the CANFORGEN:

General Campaign Star – EXPEDITION (GCS-EXP)

The GCS with EXPEDITION ribbon is awarded to Canadian Forces members and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who served in approved locations outside Canada and inside a specific theatre of operations in the presence of an armed enemy for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on January 1, 2003 provided that the service has not been otherwise recognized by another service medal.

The only approved eligible service for this ribbon thus far is military service within the political boundaries and airspace of Iraq from 20 January 2003 onwards provided the service has not been recognized by another service medal.

Aircrew flying into the theatre accumulate one day of service for the first sortie flown on any day, additional sorties flown on the same day receive no further credit.

The first and last days in theatre count as full days.

Infanteer said:

I won't be suprised if it changes in the future.  It won't be the first time a medal has changed half way through the mission.  In this case all it would be is a ribbon change, no bling modifications required.

Underway said:
I won't be suprised if it changes in the future.  It won't be the first time a medal has changed half way through the mission.  In this case all it would be is a ribbon change, no bling modifications required.

Or they could just designate the GCS/GSM-EXP ribbons as "Iraq". Then design a new EXP ribbon or get rid of the a EXP all together for the two medals since there's already the OSM and SSM EXP.

It could have been much worse, they could have just awarded the GCS/GSM-SWA given the Op's location.

Eye In The Sky said:
Despite what "awwwww...poor fighter pilots!" comments may follow, I am hoping they adjust something for this.

Why?

- fighter pilots are the folks who are operating in what I will call 'the threat envelope' for that theatre. 
- fighter pilots are the ones putting iron on the ground.  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-abroad-current/op-impact-airstrikes.page
- fighter pilots are the ones who are conducting the deep fight (Syria)

The ISR and Tanker fleets are in the fight but not the same way.  Speaking for the 140 community, I don't know one person who thinks us and the tanker dudes should be getting the throwing star while the 18s don't.  Something is wrong there.

I have, however, heard more than a few comments on how the aircrews are getting the same risk allowance as the folks who sit in air conditioned offices and never leave the camps.  ::)

Well said.

Back