• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op Ed piece: You know it's D Day, right?

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
Michael O'Leary said:
But did you follow that question with "Do you know that because of a video game back story?"
If they knew THAT much, I'm not that put out if they learned it via video game.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
I'll tell you who takes their history seriously: The French.
Methinks, like with the Dutch & the Italians, people remember harder when it happened in their backyards.

milnews.ca said:
If they knew THAT much, I'm not that put out if they learned it via video game.

Nor I, but it establishes a source for why some know and others don't, considering they were all subjected to the same educational system. A while back I was reading comments on a Great War forum where some were decrying the fact that all some people knew about the First World War was learned from Blackadder. Others quite rightly pointed out that for some it starts a long journey of discovery, and that it matters not where their desire to learn more began, as long as some from each generation continue to pursue that knowledge. (Soon some of those critics will be complaining about Great War knowledge starting with Battlefield 1.)

milnews.ca said:
Methinks, like with the Dutch & the Italians, people remember harder when it happened in their backyards.

And the French.

My uncle was one of 290 airmen shot down ( MIA ) on the Revigny raids 240 km east of Paris 7 weeks after D-Day. Only 59 survived.

My grand-parents and my father first started going there in 1948. My dad's last visit was in 2004. They couldn't speak highly enough of the local people. 

The book "Massacre Over the Marne" put it this way, "It is perhaps difficult for anyone who has not lived under the oppression of German occupation and witnessed first-hand the frightful evil of Gestapo police methods to appreciate fully what it meant to work in direct opposition to them. The married man or woman caught harbouring an Allied airman brought reprisals on the whole family - even small children were put to death."

Michael O'Leary said:
Nor I, but it establishes a source for why some know and others don't, considering they were all subjected to the same educational system. A while back I was reading comments on a Great War forum where some were decrying the fact that all some people knew about the First World War was learned from Blackadder. Others quite rightly pointed out that for some it starts a long journey of discovery, and that it matters not where their desire to learn more began, as long as some from each generation continue to pursue that knowledge. (Soon some of those critics will be complaining about Great War knowledge starting with Battlefield 1.)
Ah, seen - all good points.

Any thoughts from anyone re:  my cynicism about how much would stick if made mandatory in schools these days?

Heads-up: been like this for many-moons, 75% of Canadian's are Clueless of Canada's involvement in SWW, Second World War, just that it pops up in the News once a year, just like remembrance Day. What's alarming the latter percentage know more on USA involvement in WWII named by the American Propaganda Machine the N.Y. Times 1939. Winnie the Pou War Mongerare suggested to the US Pres., it should be Styled as "The Unnecessary War."

Canadians more likely to learn U.S. history from popular culture: Poll According to an Ipsos-Reid poll, while eight out of 10 respondents believe that Canadian history has memorable events worthy of being recorded for TV or film, 90 per cent said they learned more about American history from those media. By Canwest News Service October 17, 2008. http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=44b3d16b-c6ad-4349-b7e6-2c98b46d94eb

Canadians learn a lot about history from film and television - American history, that is.

According to an Ipsos-Reid poll, while eight out of 10 respondents believe that Canadian history has memorable events worthy of being recorded for TV or film, 90 per cent said they learned more about American history from those media.

The poll was commissioned by the Dominion Institute and published to coincide with the release of First World War drama Passchendaele.

“Popular culture plays a big role . . . in the telling of Canadian stories,” said Marc Chalifoux, executive director of the charitable organization, whose mandate is to promote a better knowledge of Canadian history, which helped raise money for the $20 million film.

“We constantly hear stories about American valour and patriotism and heroism; everyone’s seen Saving Private Ryan and Platoon and Born on the Fourth of July. So Passchendaele fills a hole, essentially, I find, or fills a void that existed in Canadian cinema. It really is the first of its genre.”

The online poll tested respondents’ knowledge of “basic facts” about Canadian history. It found that 22 per cent were unable to identify Germany as one of Canada’s enemies in the First World War. While 37 per cent thought the U.S. entered the war ahead of Canada, that number grew to 45 per cent for people aged 18-34. (Canada went to war in 1914, the U.S. in 1917.)

Nearly all of the respondents to the poll, 92 per cent, agreed that “it is important to commemorate Canada’s military history,” and 85 per cent agreed that watching movies and TV is an effective way to learn about Canadian history.

“Canadian history is worthy of moviemaking, there simply, over time, hasn’t been enough,” said Chalifoux.

While the poll results suggested that 76 per cent of respondents disagreed with the idea that American history is more exciting than Canadian, “75 per cent learn more about American history from television than Canadian history because of the size of (the American) entertainment industry and because they’re very good at telling their own stories,” said Chalifoux. “Canadians have been much more timid.”

Not counting Canada at War Accounts are littered with countless of inaccuracies, Our students, etc., are getting the shaft, it's a god done shame!

That's all I'm going to say about that.

THK U FR YR Time,

Joseph.

milnews.ca said:
Ah, seen - all good points.

Any thoughts from anyone re:  my cynicism about how much would stick if made mandatory in schools these days?

I studied history at SFU, and even passed some stuff. My brother's girlfriend was a high school teacher in Kitslano and asked me to come in a do a presentation about history to her Grade 10 class. I guess she was getting bored and needed a break or something.

In preparing for the presentation I had a look at their history text book and found that it was actually really good. I expected it to be the usual PC drivel you hear in the media from various eejits, but it covered most of th important events in 20th century history including Canada's participation in WW1 & 2, Korea etc.

I'm pretty sure that ithe text was a lot better than any similar book I had access to in Grade 10.

Anyway, it gave me a bit of hope.

Chispa said:
Heads-up: been like this for many-moons, 75% of Canadian's are Clueless of Canada's involvement in SWW, Second World War, just that it pops up in the News once a year, just like remembrance Day. What's alarming the latter percentage know more on USA involvement in WWII named by the American Propaganda Machine the N.Y. Times 1939. Winnie the Pou War Mongerare suggested to the US Pres., it should be Styled as "The Unnecessary War."

:eek:  I'm sorry (sincerely), but I read through that 3-5 times...and I'm still baffled. 
Are you suggesting that people who are promulgating Canadian military history are ignored/misunderstood because this is how they write?

Seriously.  "Winnie the Pou War Mongerare"  WTF?!

Journeyman said:

I, for one, want to know more about this.  Does he goad Eeyore into action on a two-front campaign against Piglet and Tigger?  Where does Christopher Robin fit into this?

Inquiring minds need to know!  ;D

Dimsum said:
I, for one, want to know more about this.  Does he goad Eeyore into action on a two-front campaign against Piglet and Tigger?  Where does Christopher Robin fit into this?

Inquiring minds need to know!  ;D

I'd have thought you'd be more interested in Owl's overwatch role in the whole campaign. :0

daftandbarmy said:
I'd have thought you'd be more interested in Owl's overwatch role in the whole campaign. :0

Well of course, but you don't let the cat out of the bag.  ;)

Journeyman said:
:eek:  I'm sorry (sincerely), but I read through that 3-5 times...and I'm still baffled. 
Are you suggesting that people who are promulgating Canadian military history are ignored/misunderstood because this is how they write?

I have no clue concerning your interpretation: Canadian military history are ignored/misunderstood because this is how they write? You can write what ever U want, In Canada we have Freedom of expression!

It is what it is, my opinion, deriving from what I read, seen, many Canadians are clueless, and pointing out the difference between WWI & II vs FWW or SWW. The Great War though used by the British press when the war was in full swing, derives from the Napoleonic Wars.

Yes I know came out wrong, the wording, spelling, and left it in, had to go, meant, Winnie the Pooh Warmonger, he was cuddly as a bear. BBC ON THIS DAY | 23 | 1951: Churchill denies 'warmonger' claims news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/23/newsid.../4013583.stm

Sorry for the confusion, I’m on Very Heavy medication at this moment and when I posted. Few days ago after the completion of Prof. Alec Bell’s AEA and CAC aeronautic endeavours, I ironically, as in strange, odd, diagnosed with stage 5 Bell’s Palsy, lol. Got nailed with in six hours after seeing my doctor for an eye infection.

PBA The above was written and still under the influence of prescribed narcotics, lol

As for:Birth Name, Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill. Nicknames, Winnie, The British Bulldog. Two front against Piglet and Tigger, who represents Tigger and Piglet? Lol

C.U.

Chispa said:
PBA The above was written and still under the influence of prescribed narcotics, lol

Forgive my bluntness, but maybe you should stop posting until you're more clear headed.

ModlrMike said:
Forgive my bluntness, but maybe you should stop posting until you're more clear headed.

No worries be as blunt, I'm very clear headed..... I guess what he meant after or someone reading it on my blog as I see, is concerning terminology, Canadian British Vs American in Historical war accounts. I see both sister sites use American Spell Check, which is confusing pour moi, constantly checking those red lines too see if I spelt it correctly in Canadian English.

All the above posted comments are the facts, with the documentation supporting, therefore clear headed. What is sad our Canadian History is full of mistakes and that is not even debatable. On Bell's AEA CAC Historians/ Authors, though their narratives were vague, dropped the ball, filled with mistakes, is that the type of history we want our children too learn, so they in turn perpetuate the same inaccuracies in history Accounts. Like Dan Snow, D. O'keefe, etc., their are many mistakes.

Just my thoughts.

Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies.
http://canadianmilitaryhistory.ca/review-of-sherrill-grace…/

Has Cook ever dropped the ball?

Back